Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Thread Closed

Old 11-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #43
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph93lx View Post
Fore sure #1 was in better than -1000 DA
Sure some have done it. I ran 12.55 stock 2015 GT manual 6 speed that don't make it normal

But I always say it myself not all the people are listing their timeslip

For sure the camaro is a fast car. But I assure you that many will be in the 11's all stock with the 18 GT especially with better than 1500rpm launch of the line. Those guy were just experimenting with a completely new car with new engine and transmission.
From what ive seen my car do all it takes for a Camaro to run an 11.9-12.0 is good prep and DA of about 1500 or lower.

I Launch my car completely off idle. Brake stall doesn't help much. And im not sure they would want to hit those street tires even harder with that ridiculous gearing of the a10 and 3.55 gears. I cant even believe they offer that lol

you going with them or the 3.15?
Old 11-01-2017, 07:33 PM   #44
Steph93lx

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
From what ive seen my car do all it takes for a Camaro to run an 11.9-12.0 is good prep and DA of about 1500 or lower.

I Launch my car completely off idle. Brake stall doesn't help much. And im not sure they would want to hit those street tires even harder with that ridiculous gearing of the a10 and 3.55 gears. I cant even believe they offer that lol

you going with them or the 3.15?
On 2011-2017 mustang with bolt on we have seen faster time with 3.15 gear and 26" tire. 3.31 and 27-28" with a A6 and 3.31 gear is good also that is with the 6 speed and a less aggressive first gear.

You are probably right regarding the 18 A10 and 3.55 I guess they can't launch it that much harder!

But nobody's know for sure with the 18. Only 6 run lol. We shall see.

By the way your car is fast

My own custom tune using Hp tuner, CAI, ARH 1" 7/8 LT headers and 3" off road x pipe connected to stock 2.5" axleback and active muffler, Etx18 battery. 3725 lbs raceweight

SOLD!!!! 2015 300A GT M6. Best with stock intake manifold N/A bolt-ons 11.074@123.64 mph* 1.525 60Ft,* -1056 DA . BEST MPH* 124.39 mph
Old 11-01-2017, 07:54 PM   #45
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph93lx View Post
On 2011-2017 mustang with bolt on we have seen faster time with 3.15 gear and 26" tire. 3.31 and 27-28" with a A6 and 3.31 gear is good also that is with the 6 speed and a less aggressive first gear.

You are probably right regarding the 18 A10 and 3.55 I guess they can't launch it that much harder!

But nobody's know for sure with the 18. Only 6 run lol. We shall see.

By the way your car is fast
Thanks. Yours aint too bad either. Im running a 26 tire now I picked up a little over my old 28. I also want a 3.08 gear if they ever come out. That would put my 5th gear at around 130 mph give or take. I think ill pick up a couple tenths with the 3.08. Want to keep the stock converter until if and when I do heads/cam.

Yeah id go with the 3.15. Although with a slick/radial the 3.55 will hook. With stock tires though the 3.55 and street tires gonna be tough to launch.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:20 PM   #46
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
No disrespect, but it's always the guys who don't own a '17 M6 ZL1 who claim the car is fine. You'll never get 100% of people to agree on anything, but practically everyone I know whose taken this car to the strip agrees there is a problem. So if you haven't driven the '17 M6 ZL1 at the drag strip please refrain from assuming the driver is the problem. If you have ran a mid 11 with this car I'd love to speak with you. I don't know anyone other than Cal Webster who has done it, and he'll be the first to tell you the car has a software problem.

And I don't put much stock into the magazine review times. I can't think of any who achieved GM's published times anyway, but these journalists have a stong interest in telling everyone how great cars are. If they don't, GM won't be providing many more cars to review.

Like I said, I'm not claiming the '17 M6 ZL1 is incapable of running a good 1/4 mile time. Obviously a few are going to get hero runs, but this car should be able to pull off a high 11 without a pro driver. Hell, the A10 has made it into the 10s. The transmission is good, but not that good. The M6 has a problem....trust me. I have the data to prove it.

I've been working with GM since June. They have agreed there is a problem (never in writing though), they're just dragging their feet on the fix.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:27 PM   #47
Speedofsound
Banned

Drives: 2007 Trailblazer SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
No disrespect, but it's always the guys who don't own a '17 M6 ZL1 who claim the car is fine. You'll never get 100% of people to agree on anything, but practically everyone I know whose taken this car to the strip agrees there is a problem. So if you haven't driven the '17 M6 ZL1 at the drag strip please refrain from assuming the driver is the problem. If you have ran a mid 11 with this car I'd love to speak with you. I don't know anyone other than Cal Webster who has done it, and he'll be the first to tell you the car has a software problem.

And I don't put much stock into the magazine review times. I can't think of any who achieved GM's published times anyway, but these journalists have a stong interest in telling everyone how great cars are. If they don't, GM won't be providing many more cars to review.

Like I said, I'm not claiming the '17 M6 ZL1 is incapable of running a good 1/4 mile time. Obviously a few are going to get hero runs, but this car should be able to pull off a high 11 without a pro driver. Hell, the A10 has made it into the 10s. The transmission is good, but not that good. The M6 has a problem....trust me. I have the data to prove it.

I've been working with GM since June. They have agreed there is a problem (never in writing though), they're just dragging their feet on the fix.
What's the problem?
Old 11-01-2017, 10:08 PM   #48
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:

I do believe that there is an issue with the car bogging down. But I have seen that some claim to have run a high 11 or that they in particular do not have this issue with it. These are people on the Facebook pages. And of course for everyone saying there's a legit problem, there will be some super-hero-guy claiming he never ever had a problem ever, lol!! So in your case hopefully there will be some resolution. Otherwise there might be another CAL like all these companies are getting these days.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:09 PM   #49
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Looks like a good time. Glad Ford decided they want to compete! Since it's cold around here, I probably won't see any in the road until spring, but I can't wait to see them on the road.

I do have to LOL at Ford guys beating their chest because it looks like the straight line performance matches the SS. I thought the cocky rub it in your face attitude comes out when you BEAT the competition, not match it!!
Old 11-01-2017, 10:22 PM   #50
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Not bad...can't wait to run one.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
Old 11-02-2017, 06:50 AM   #51
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
Looks like a good time. Glad Ford decided they want to compete! Since it's cold around here, I probably won't see any in the road until spring, but I can't wait to see them on the road.

I do have to LOL at Ford guys beating their chest because it looks like the straight line performance matches the SS. I thought the cocky rub it in your face attitude comes out when you BEAT the competition, not match it!!
Yeah... Camaro owners have been enjoying this level of performance since November 2015. Glad that Ford decided to join the party.

In all seriousness though. My SS is a daily driver and this is the first time I haven't felt that my car needed more power. It's on the right side of the line. 2018 Mustang owners are going to be happy and poor 15-17 GT owners can continue to boast about the great aftermarket.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 11-02-2017, 07:02 AM   #52
Speedofsound
Banned

I didn't know manual Zl1s have a bogging issue. And GM not trying to correct it? Kinda hard to walk into a dealer and say, "i can't seem to launch my Zl1 hard at the race track, fix it."
Old 11-02-2017, 07:05 AM   #53
Speedofsound
Banned

Guessing it's some sort of clutch protection ECM strategy
Old 11-02-2017, 08:16 AM   #54
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedofsound View Post
What's the problem?
I believe the primary issue is this:
2017-06 Potential ZL1 Issue (redacted).pdf

There's lots of discussion in this thread (There is a lot of bad information and bogus theories here as well.):
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498180

The other issue is either in the torque management or the performance traction management, but it takes seemingly forever for the computer to phase in the power on the launch. So as you release the clutch to launch, the computer pulls ignition timing, but it takes a second or two to give you all of the timing back, which kills the entire run.

Cal Webster figured out if you push the clutch in again, you get the timing back immediately. So he'd release the clutch to get the car to jump forward, immediately repress the clutch, and then slowly release the clutch again while adding throttle. That's how he was getting mid 11s with the car. That screams software problem.

Here's another thread on it:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505106

The video in the first post is worth watching. There's no doubt at least a few clips are simply driver error, but I believe at least a few are legit instances of the problem.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:19 AM   #55
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedofsound View Post
Guessing it's some sort of clutch protection ECM strategy
Maybe, but I don't think that's the root of the problem. The ZL1 does have clutch protection, but when it's triggered the driver is presented with a message.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:22 AM   #56
Speedofsound
Banned

Quote:
Maybe, but I don't think that's the root of the problem. The ZL1 does have clutch protection, but when it's triggered the driver is presented with a message.
What's it say?

Edit. Maybe it's in the video, I'll check.

Closed Thread