Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-13-2016, 12:39 AM   #1
sswiss3000

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Vert, L99
Useless GM Mechanics

So I brought my brothers 2014 Acadia to the dealership because there was a small clunk in the front Passenger side corner when going over bumps. since the car had 35000 miles on it and the warranty was about to run out i wanted to get it fixed ASAP. A day later i got a call, stating that they looked over the entire front end and couldn't find anything wrong with it.

So today a little while later the car has about 42000 miles on it and my brother asked me to replace the brake pads on the car. While I was at it, I decided I would look over the suspension as the slight clunk was still there.

I think the following pictures say it all. I just want to know exactly how hard or many times you have to get hit in the head not to see this immediately.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2016, 08:06 AM   #2
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Sway bar bushing???
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
sswiss3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Sway bar bushing???
Yes. I have no idea how that bushing got squished out like that. So, for the moment I put it back in and will see if the knock is gone. If so, I will go have a little chat with my GM service guy.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #4
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswiss3000 View Post
So I brought my brothers 2014 Acadia to the dealership because there was a small clunk in the front Passenger side corner when going over bumps. since the car had 35000 miles on it and the warranty was about to run out i wanted to get it fixed ASAP. A day later i got a call, stating that they looked over the entire front end and couldn't find anything wrong with it.

So today a little while later the car has about 42000 miles on it and my brother asked me to replace the brake pads on the car. While I was at it, I decided I would look over the suspension as the slight clunk was still there.

I think the following pictures say it all. I just want to know exactly how hard or many times you have to get hit in the head not to see this immediately.
Trust me, GM isn't anywhere near to cornering the market on technicians who can't locate this kind of clunk. Even after telling a certain Blue Oval shop that the noise only occurred when the right front wheel hit a bump, they still couldn't find it. indeed (seriously loose driver side sta-bar bushing clamp fasteners, FWIW).

I bet the clunk was mostly if not always happened when the wheel on the opposite side of the car hit a 1-wheel bump.

Norm
Old 08-13-2016, 10:03 AM   #5
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Not a GM exclusive problem.....

Took a FLT semi to dealer, explained the trailer overhead clearance lights wouldn't burn. Service writer wrote, " Overhead lights inop"

When I got the truck back after 3 days, and $148 later, (not paid btw) tech had replaced the dome light in the cab which was burned out.

Inept knows no boundaries.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #6
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Inept knows no boundaries.
Quoted for truth.

The techs at the local Subie dealership (located a mile down the road from their US headquarters, no less) managed to incorporate their own little installation mod to the oil filter pictured below. Twice. Even I didn't think any shop could be that bad.

Norm
Old 08-13-2016, 10:48 AM   #7
Ledzepx

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro 6sp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Quoted for truth.

The techs at the local Subie dealership (located a mile down the road from their US headquarters, no less) managed to incorporate their own little installation mod to the oil filter pictured below. Twice. Even I didn't think any shop could be that bad.

Norm
Really?????? Wouldnt go there again if thats was me.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:01 AM   #8
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Haven't been back for any oil changes, that's for sure. Or tire rotations either, but that's a story for another day. Or at least another post.

I was fully ready to excuse the oil filter thing the first time (it was easily caught by the odor of oil boiling off a hot header pipe every time a drop hit it), and I figured it was a one in many thousands occurrence. It was the second time (making it 2 out of 3, and no matter what the lyrics in a Meatloaf song say, 2 out of 3 WAS bad).

Ultimately I think OP is going to find his experience has had lots of company.

Norm
Old 08-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #9
sswiss3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

Ultimately I think OP is going to find his experience has had lots of company.

Norm
Norm, you are correct. This wasn't the first time and will certainly not be the last time that a "professional"; mechanic does some crappy work
Old 08-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #10
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Ford F250, brand new. Had metallic scrubbing noise from left rear. Took it in, they replaced the brake pads.

Noise is immediately still there. Took it to the garage, jacked it up, spun the lr wheel... brake line is rubbing the wheel. moved the line, no more noise.

I have LOTS of stories...
Old 08-13-2016, 03:07 PM   #11
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
There are a lot of crappy suspension parts on an Acadia. I have replaced a good amount of sway bar links, and struts. Some control arm bushings and a bunch of steering gears. I don't question when a customer comes in complaining about a clunk in one lol, I know there is something making the noise, just have to narrow it down with a few quick inspections and or test drives. Quite honestly I'm not a fan of them at all, quite a lot of failures across most of the different systems that make up that model (Traverse, Enclave, Outlook, Acadia). Some are good and never have an issue, but most will have suspension, steering, engine, or transmission problems.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote