Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #127
big papa

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
If you wanted to gete cheap on a non-daily driver you should have put it on collector car insurance. Like Hagerty, its waaaay cheaper than normal insurance, and awesome coverage.

19 GMC CC 4x4
2019 Harley RGS
big papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #128
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
Frankly I'm a bit embarrassed with the amount of, well basically crap being thrown at this guy. He came for advice like all of us do, and so many berate him, even after all his been through. Hey I have 3 cars, so bloody what. We are all fortunate to own a Camaro, and I am a proud owner for 3 years. The way a lot of people have conducted themselves with misfortune is indescribable. Let's kick him while he's down, and for good measure, when he gets back up, kick him in the danglies.

I trust you are all happy with yourselves.

Mate, thoughts are with you, been through one major hurricane down here, it's not pleasant

Good luck mate, hope it all works out for you
markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #129
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
And that's exactly why I said "something is fishy" funny the OP used my exact words in his rebuttal.

I just decided it's really none of my business, but I have experience in the insurance gamble myself trying to save money, losing ass etc. because my vehicles aren't financed either. 77rs you don't owe anyone an explanation.

I will say due to my own negligence, I found myself to be in an accident with my first Camaro that I had no insurance coverage at all. Oops, the accident was not my fault so fair is fair and I made the other party pay anyway but I learned a lesson. 77rs I hope you learned a lesson too.
Here you are required to have at least liability. If you are stopped by the police for any reason they always ask for your license and proof of insurance. No insurance will get you a fine and possible loss of your license.

To the OP, on one hand chalk it up to lesson learned, but on a brighter note you are ok.
I keep full coverage on anything I own with less than 100,000 miles on it or under 10 years old. Then always have liability and medical.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #130
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
OP posted asking for advice from fellow Camaro owners. Some like Fastball and Rocky1974 offered some good advice. Others offered some good advice but disappointed some slammed him for not having "comprehensive" or moving his car elsewere. What kind of helpful 'support' is that? We don't know his financial situation? We do know he said he saved for years to pay for his Camaro.

He took a financial hit and sold his Camaro back to dealership at a loss. Instead of supporting the OP on how to best resolve his delmina, too many on this board decided to slam him for being under insured.

Of course there were storm warnings but no one fully expected the degree of damage Sandy delivered. Have a friend in the Rockaways, Zone 'A' in evac area. He moved everything from his basement (newly renovated) to upper floors Two classic cars in his garage and he elevated both autos about 18-inches using jacks. His neighborhood has never flooded but salt water was about 1-inch in his garage while other homes on his block received a foot or more of salt water. His classic cars were safe but to this date, his home still has no power.

I have been lucky over the years. Mid 70s, in Houston, my neighorhood never experienced floods. One massive thunderstorm stalled and flooded my neighborhood within 2 hours with up to 6-feet of water. Water receded within 12 hours. All those without flood insurance lost autos and homes or if renters lost everything. Just luck my apartment was on the 3rd floor and my late model Buick convertible was at a local garage getting an oil change and left on the lift overnight as other autos in the parking lot were flooded. About 3 years ago my high-rise apartment was hit by a freak tornado. Damage to my 19th floor apartment was all my window walls were pulled out to the degree my apartment was considered unsafe and I was moved out with my 3 cats in the middle of the night. Months later a very large art object fell off a wall. My insurance comany decided very fast it fell off the wall due to movement of the wall during the tornado months before. Damage was a bit more than $1800 and I paid my $500 deducable. Two years ago Ottawa Canada was hit with a 5 earthquake. We are in a low risk earthquake zone but I do have earthquake insurance. Ottawa, the nations capitol city came to a stand still with only a 5 quake. At work, only a 10 min. drive from my apartment, ceiling tiles fell, bookshelf stuff fell to the floor. No damage to my apartment, only wall art and stuff on bookshelves moved.

Bottom line is nature can cause damage in least likely places and not everyone has flood or earthquake insurance because they think they are in a low risk zone.

Suggest anyone who slammed the OP for not being insured or prepared, check out the fine print on your insurance policies. Your autos, home, or renters policies might not cover you for "Rising water".
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #131
bb040

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS red jewl tintcoat
sorry about your loses glad to see your ok and that you learned the lesson nature put on you .just hope that you never have to repete it again
Old 11-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #132
Candy_Camaro
Amanda

Drives: 2014 ZL1
So sorry to hear what you are going through!

Shop around for future reference and find a good, cheap insurance rate for full coverage. We have USAA, have a $500 deductible and are covered up to 300K or so on most everything. We pay $140 a month for two brand new vehicles. It is possible and it can help you in the future.

Good luck!
Candy_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #133
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4PK View Post
Sir,
It sucks big time, but not even knowing you, I'm glad you are safe.
Are you glad I am safe too?
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #134
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaucom21 View Post
OP posted asking for advice from fellow Camaro owners. Some like Fastball and Rocky1974 offered some good advice. Others offered some good advice but disappointed some slammed him for not having "comprehensive" or moving his car elsewere. What kind of helpful 'support' is that? We don't know his financial situation? We do know he said he saved for years to pay for his Camaro.

He took a financial hit and sold his Camaro back to dealership at a loss. Instead of supporting the OP on how to best resolve his delmina, too many on this board decided to slam him for being under insured.

Of course there were storm warnings but no one fully expected the degree of damage Sandy delivered. Have a friend in the Rockaways, Zone 'A' in evac area. He moved everything from his basement (newly renovated) to upper floors Two classic cars in his garage and he elevated both autos about 18-inches using jacks. His neighborhood has never flooded but salt water was about 1-inch in his garage while other homes on his block received a foot or more of salt water. His classic cars were safe but to this date, his home still has no power.

I have been lucky over the years. Mid 70s, in Houston, my neighorhood never experienced floods. One massive thunderstorm stalled and flooded my neighborhood within 2 hours with up to 6-feet of water. Water receded within 12 hours. All those without flood insurance lost autos and homes or if renters lost everything. Just luck my apartment was on the 3rd floor and my late model Buick convertible was at a local garage getting an oil change and left on the lift overnight as other autos in the parking lot were flooded. About 3 years ago my high-rise apartment was hit by a freak tornado. Damage to my 19th floor apartment was all my window walls were pulled out to the degree my apartment was considered unsafe and I was moved out with my 3 cats in the middle of the night. Months later a very large art object fell off a wall. My insurance comany decided very fast it fell off the wall due to movement of the wall during the tornado months before. Damage was a bit more than $1800 and I paid my $500 deducable. Two years ago Ottawa Canada was hit with a 5 earthquake. We are in a low risk earthquake zone but I do have earthquake insurance. Ottawa, the nations capitol city came to a stand still with only a 5 quake. At work, only a 10 min. drive from my apartment, ceiling tiles fell, bookshelf stuff fell to the floor. No damage to my apartment, only wall art and stuff on bookshelves moved.

Bottom line is nature can cause damage in least likely places and not everyone has flood or earthquake insurance because they think they are in a low risk zone.

Suggest anyone who slammed the OP for not being insured or prepared, check out the fine print on your insurance policies. Your autos, home, or renters policies might not cover you for "Rising water".
Yeh I agree. Kind of like kicking him in the balls when he is down.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #135
77rs

Drives: '13 SS/RS conv. RY
Hi Everone- Saw another camaro flooded in my town today. Don't know how deep the water was. Many cars being towed. One guy had a miata on 2 sets of blocks in the garage-lost. Another had a late '20's chevy in the garage- 18" of sand. Saw photos of 2 porsches-one in the sand- one ragtop with the windshield frame crushed. Hope most had full insurance. Had a brand new set of nj aluminum license plates in the same garage as the '13. They're already corroding on the back.
77rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #136
77rs

This was the first and only RY '13 2SS hockey stripe dual-mode ragtop I have seen. Where are the others? (state)
Old 11-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #137
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro/ss/rs View Post
Well said....there sure is a bunch that need to get a life thats for sure.
I know. I love yanking people's chains on here, but as long as it is all in good fun. When somebody's got a legitimate problem (and lord knows this guy had plenty of them), I think we should try to help. We can all gang up and pick on him some other time, after his problems are solved. I don’t get this whole idea of kicking someone when they are down and out, particularly when they came to these boards looking for help after they had just endured one of the worst natural disasters to ever hit this country.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #138
77rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
I know. I love yanking people's chains on here, but as long as it is all in good fun. When somebody's got a legitimate problem (and lord knows this guy had plenty of them), I think we should try to help. We can all gang up and pick on him some other time, after his problems are solved. I don’t get this whole idea of kicking someone when they are down and out, particularly when they came to these boards looking for help after they had just endured one of the worst natural disasters to ever hit this country.
Thanks man, appreciate it! Lots of people lost WAY more than me!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #139
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
Are you glad I am safe too?
You bet, and glad it was safe here too.

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #140
2011ozzy

Drives: 2011 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77rs View Post
Yes, I was at ground zero of the storm- 10 miles below A.C. But the folks further north got it worse-Anybody hit, man I know what you are going thru now. There are tens of millions of people affected- to hell with the camaro, I can get another. I don't want to see people injured or worse. Good luck to everyone after this.
Hey congrats on surviving the storm you did what you had to and moved on.Family and life are what matters you might get a screaming deal on your next car it will work out in the end.Good luck with the clean up and hope you get power back soon.
2011ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote