Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #1
Motopsycho

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Test drove a ZL1 yesterday

I found a 2014 ZL1 the other day and scheduled a test drive with the dealer. It was a Carmax dealer and I know how notoriously bad they are at trade-in appraisals, so I knew what I was getting into. I really just wanted to drive the ZL1 because I've never even heard one start up before.

So...I went yesterday to drive the car. It was a beautiful metallic gray exterior with silver wheels, manual transmission, all the goodies...HUD, microfiber, etc... and had less than 600 miles on the car. Luckily, the sales consultant that I was dealing with sent me out with this young girl who was training to be a sales consultant. She was very cool and had no problems with me giving the ZL1 a good rip if I wanted to. She actually was psyched to go for a test drive.

When I heard it start up, it blew my mind...such a difference in sound compared to my SS. WOW! Everything about the car felt great, smooth, comfortable, nice steering, good power....really nice car. I accelerated onto the highway and hit 100mph in no time. Very quick to get to that speed and you're not even aware how fast you're going. I told the girl that we just hit 100, and she said 'No way!'. LOL

We headed back to the dealer and the appraisal was done on my car. Now mind you, my car is a 2010 2SS/RS, auto, 8500 miles, and has every available option for that model year including ground effects and 21" wheels. I keep it very clean and it still looks and drives new. In fact, I still have some new car smell in the interior! So I go sit down and the original saleswoman goes over my car options to make sure they got everything and then she asks, what do I think the appraisal will be. I hesitated and said, well I don't really want to answer that (because I knew they were going to low ball me). She asked what my ballpark range is that I wanted...I said about 27-28k. That seems to be a fair trade in value according to Kelly Blue book, but I knew they would come nowhere even close. So the saleswoman clicks the Next button on the computer to reveal the appraisal...*drumroll*.... 22k!! I pretty much just laughed and said, well okay then I guess I'll be on my way. I would consider 23-24k a very lowball offer, but 22k is just a joke!

Anyhow, I wasn't disappointed and I knew what I was getting into by going there. I really just wanted to drive a ZL1 without any hassle and that's what I got!
Old 05-22-2015, 08:48 AM   #2
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408978

Had this discussion recently. Their trade-in was a tad low, but closer to what you can expect from any dealer than what KBB says. You might be able to get them up more, especially if the price on the ZL1 already has a bit of markup in it.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Glad you accomplished your main goal of driving a ZL1! That car is a beast!
Old 05-22-2015, 08:58 AM   #4
Mels RS

Drives: 2015 2LT/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
She asked what my ballpark range is that I wanted...I said about 27-28k. That seems to be a fair trade in value according to Kelly Blue book, but I knew they would come nowhere even close. So the saleswoman clicks the Next button on the computer to reveal the appraisal...*drumroll*.... 22k!! I pretty much just laughed and said, well okay then I guess I'll be on my way. I would consider 23-24k a very lowball offer, but 22k is just a joke!
Anyhow, I wasn't disappointed and I knew what I was getting into by going there. I really just wanted to drive a ZL1 without any hassle and that's what I got!
Almost the exact same experience when I took my '08 C6 Vert in, 3LT, LS3, with all the bells/whistles. Carmax offered me $22K. Sold to individual for $29.7K.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
Mels RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
I found a 2014 ZL1 the other day and scheduled a test drive with the dealer. It was a Carmax dealer and I know how notoriously bad they are at trade-in appraisals, so I knew what I was getting into. I really just wanted to drive the ZL1 because I've never even heard one start up before.

So...I went yesterday to drive the car. It was a beautiful metallic gray exterior with silver wheels, manual transmission, all the goodies...HUD, microfiber, etc... and had less than 600 miles on the car. Luckily, the sales consultant that I was dealing with sent me out with this young girl who was training to be a sales consultant. She was very cool and had no problems with me giving the ZL1 a good rip if I wanted to. She actually was psyched to go for a test drive.

When I heard it start up, it blew my mind...such a difference in sound compared to my SS. WOW! Everything about the car felt great, smooth, comfortable, nice steering, good power....really nice car. I accelerated onto the highway and hit 100mph in no time. Very quick to get to that speed and you're not even aware how fast you're going. I told the girl that we just hit 100, and she said 'No way!'. LOL

We headed back to the dealer and the appraisal was done on my car. Now mind you, my car is a 2010 2SS/RS, auto, 8500 miles, and has every available option for that model year including ground effects and 21" wheels. I keep it very clean and it still looks and drives new. In fact, I still have some new car smell in the interior! So I go sit down and the original saleswoman goes over my car options to make sure they got everything and then she asks, what do I think the appraisal will be. I hesitated and said, well I don't really want to answer that (because I knew they were going to low ball me). She asked what my ballpark range is that I wanted...I said about 27-28k. That seems to be a fair trade in value according to Kelly Blue book, but I knew they would come nowhere even close. So the saleswoman clicks the Next button on the computer to reveal the appraisal...*drumroll*.... 22k!! I pretty much just laughed and said, well okay then I guess I'll be on my way. I would consider 23-24k a very lowball offer, but 22k is just a joke!

I know that you dont think so but $22k for a trade in value is pretty good considering your Camaro is goin on 6 years old...
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:58 AM   #6
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
It's a 2010 man I think that's expected
Old 05-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #7
The Patriot

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS VERT
22K as a starting offer is not too bad on your car. I looked at a 2012 2SS vert with 11k on it, garage kept (no dings or scuffs, only the most minor swirls), last year...$24,000. Another local 2011 in similar condition (vert, 15k miles I think) was at $22,500.

"Today I didn't even have to use my AK, I got ta' say it was a good day"
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:12 AM   #8
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
you never said how much they wanted for the ZL1...that would give a better idea how off they were on your. 22k feels low but it is about right. Resale on these things are terrible. You have dealerships and people on craigslist selling 2010's with low miles for 22k or less
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:22 AM   #9
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
I also have to disagree with the trade-in value. It is a 6 year old car. That's 7% depreciation per year if the car was about $35k brand new.

According to this site, vehicle depreciation rates are 15%/year on average. If that's the case your car would be worth $13,200. These cars hold their value way better than average, but just sit back and seriously consider that and realize how HORRIBLE an investment a mass produced vehicle is.

http://www.carsdirect.com/auto-loans...reciation-rate
Old 05-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #10
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
That's why it's not worth not driving them and keeping them nice, unless you have zero intentions of never getting rid of them. Auction price is all you can expect from a trade in.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:27 AM   #11
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
CarMax rips you off.

Sell it private party and get the ZL1.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:28 AM   #12
Motopsycho

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytown87 View Post
you never said how much they wanted for the ZL1...that would give a better idea how off they were on your. 22k feels low but it is about right. Resale on these things are terrible. You have dealerships and people on craigslist selling 2010's with low miles for 22k or less

They wanted $49,998 for the ZL1.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:29 AM   #13
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Just an FYI - KBB is saying my car is worth 28k. It is a 2013 also with every option minus nav. Includes NPP and MyLink, which 2010 does not have. Your car is 3 years older. Be realistic. If you want more you're going to have to go private party and wait.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:31 AM   #14
2011shelby

Drives: 2011ShelbyGT500
$27-28 is quite a bit on the high side. That's pretty much retail price.
$22 is low, I would say $24 would be a fair price.
2011shelby is offline   Reply With Quote