Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 09-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
CamaroIOM12
Jim

Drives: 2013 2SS Camaro Convertible
NEW 2013 OWNER HELP

Ok I'm making the jump trading in a 2012 2LT RS Coupe, getting a 2013 2SS RS convertible. I found the one I want it's 4 hours east so I will be going on a road trip .
My question to all convertible owners is (being I've never owned one) what do I look for anything special to check on the top while I'm checking out the car? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
CamaroIOM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Congrats for considering the convertible. It's a terrific vehicle, regardless whether in LT or SS guise.

I'm guessing as you're looking at a '13, it's new(?).

The convertible top is going to be the major source of concern, although not necessarily the only one.

Check for significant creases in the top (some folks are really bothered by this and it could be indicative of an existing problem or foretell of one).

Look for "rub marks". Light, /whiteish round or oval spots on the top.

Look for "fraying" anywhere on the top, including the seams.

Inspect the top - with the top closed - look to see that the rear of the top (below the rear window) where it meets the body is at least even with the rear of the trunk and that it's not stickung up (see my attachment). If it's sticking up - walk away from the car not matter how much you may desire it.

Check the floors and trunk THOROUGHLY for ANY moisture on or under the mats / carpet. Heck, watch them hose the car off THOROUGHLY and then check it about 15 minutes later. It anything even feels moist - RUN AWAY from this car.

Get in the car - raise the top (or lower it if it's already open) HALFWAY, get out of the car and check whether the frame looks straight when it's sitting up in the air. it should NOT look as though it's leaning or one side seems to be more "advanced" than the other.

With the top up - lower and raise the windows - the rear ones, in particular. You shouldn't hear any "grinding" noises. Get out of the vehicle and visually inspect the rear windows to see whether they're "tracking" properly (in other words, whether, when closed, they're closed correctly in relation to / where they meet the front windows and around the top.

No wires should be sticking out anywhere along the seams, in particular, along the sides of the top above the windows.

Some owners here have reported the top being extraordinarily hard to latch closed on some of the 2013's.

Be aware that the top is only covered for the 3 years of the original "bumper to bumper warranty" - even after it's been repaired or replaced. Purchasing an "extended warranty" will NOT cover the top, from what I recall other owners here having mentioned.

If you're buying used, get the service department to pull up the vehicle's service history. If it's been serviced at a GM dealership, there will be a documented history and look for anything that might raise a flag. In particular, if it's had any top replacement done! BTW, they can also print out a hardcopy "build sheet" of the vehicle for you with all of the RPO (option) codes of what the vehicle came with from the factory.

Be aware that you can only operated the top if the "sunshade" cover in the trunk is latched forward.

Do NOT operate the top multiple times without the engine running as it will overheat the top motor.

MAKE SURE the manual top "ratchet" is either in the glove box or in the tonneau cover bag - it should come in a clear plastic bag with a single, white instruction sheet. You'll need this in the event the top motor fails in or to raise or lower the top.

MAKE SURE THEY INSTALL THE TONNEAU COVER BOLTS. These are two bolts that do NOT come pre-installed from the factory (or do they, on '13's?). The bolts are necessary to in order for the tonneau cover to be properly attached and fastened. Otherwise, it WILL DEFINITELY blow off and potentially cause a catastrophic accident if it hits another vehicle. Some folks never use it as it's too much of a pain to intall and remove. However, it does make the rear look nice and smooth with it on. If you have it on and driving at highway speed, keep an eye on it. If it looks as though it's lifting up, pull over, remove it, stick it in the trunk and work with it at home and / or with your local dealer. If you don't use it, the cloth top will "flutter" / "dance" around when you're driving but shouldn't present any problem at all.

Get all of the paperwork you can. 5th Gen. 'verts "may" become collectible in 40 years.

As you're looking at a new '13, I'd guess some of the things I've listed might not necessarily come into play. HOWEVER, it's good to be aware of these things in the event they show up later.

BTW, print these responses and take them with you as you WILL need them - because when you're standing in front of your potentially new 5th Gen. 2013 Convertible, staring at it in a trance-like state, day-dreaming about racing down the highway with the top down and the wind blowing through your hair (or whatever is left of it), you're not going to be thinking about all of these things but they DO what matter.

That's all I can think of right now. Hopefully others here will chime in soon and correct anything I may have mis-stated and provide you with more, and more in-depth pointers.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.
Attached Images

3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Last edited by Baba; 09-12-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroIOM12 View Post
Ok I'm making the jump trading in a 2012 2LT RS Coupe, getting a 2013 2SS RS convertible. I found the one I want it's 4 hours east so I will be going on a road trip .
My question to all convertible owners is (being I've never owned one) what do I look for anything special to check on the top while I'm checking out the car? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
I'm no expert on convertibles, but I have a 2013 as well. It appears that GM fixed the convertible problems that plagued the 11s and 12s -- rub marks, water bags, and 5th bow problems. I did, however, experience a problem within the first 10 times dropping the top, some sort of linkage disconnected rendering my top unable to close. It was a quick fix but haven't heard of many with the same problem. Another issue that I and others have experienced is difficulty latching the top. Some are just too tight. That being said, I have not had any significant problems with my convertible top and those issues should not deter you from buying one. I love it. Just make sure you apply plenty of water repellant/protection spray for convertibles if you use it as a daily driver or have no garage.

Good luck, and keep us posted if you get it. Pics!!!
bwk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
CamaroIOM12
Jim

Drives: 2013 2SS Camaro Convertible
Yes it's a new 2013

Thank you both for your thoughts they will be very helpful when I go look.
Thanks again!!!

Last edited by CamaroIOM12; 09-12-2013 at 09:21 AM.
CamaroIOM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
Dznyfn

Drives: 13 1SS Vert, 05 Tahoe Z71, 67 RS/SS
I ordered a 2011 vert, it came in and had a gut feeling and had them reorder a coupe for me, loved it. Decided to go forward with a vert in June this year and WOW what difference. Zero issues as they have all been worked out and the fun of a vert, there are no words(this is my first vert ever and I've been driving for over 30 yrs). Look the car over, top to bottom and enjoy!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
I've owned three 5th gen convertibles. The modification to the top and water management system that went into production in April 2012 fixed most of the issues owners of '11 and early production '12 verts experienced.

I'm aware of only one TSB for the '13 MY top. It's TSB #13113 and involves a gouge or burr in the control cord eye-loop guide. The burr could cause premature wear of the control cord. You might want to check with the dealer to make sure your convertible is not included in the TSB (mine was not).

Other than that, enjoy your new convertible. It's a blast to drive these cars with the top down and your favorite tunes blaring away.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
Twilborne

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray Blue 2LT
My advise is to jump in drop the top and cruise.......

Twilborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
cAMARO IOM12. I TOO AM looking at a new 13 vert, only its a 2LT. now, the one i have been looking at is new, 60 miles, but was built a year ago, sept 12. i have driven it and sat in it 100 times. it is all black with 19 inch wheels and nav too. nice car. i just trying to deciede if that or coupe is better. i can get this more than likely cheaper than a 14 coupe. the top goes up and down ok and easy to latch. good luck. i bet that 2ss is a very nice car. let us know. i am going to dicker this weekend on this one. it will be a daily driver too.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
Jfoster

Drives: 2016 GT vert.
If it's used I would have the service dept run the vin for warranty work.
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
Baba

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroIOM12 View Post
Yes it's a new 2013

Thank you both for your thoughts they will be very helpful when I go look.
Thanks again!!!
OP: Did you go look at the 13 'vert? What's the scoop?

Follow up with us, please.
3 Pedals

Old 09-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
eymang

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 1991 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
Inspect the top - with the top closed - look to see that the rear of the top (below the rear window) where it meets the body is at least even with the rear of the trunk and that it's not stickung up (see my attachment). If it's sticking up - walk away from the car not matter how much you may desire it.
Good advice. Been looking at a 2013 vert myself and had the same Qs. What am I looking for here in the pic? is it that strip of moulding I see where the top and trunk meet?
Attached Images

eymang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
Baba

Quote:
Originally Posted by eymang View Post
Good advice. Been looking at a 2013 vert myself and had the same Qs. What am I looking for here in the pic? is it that strip of moulding I see where the top and trunk meet?
Yes. That should NOT be sticking out above the moulding, at least not too far. Even or slightly below appears to be the greatest "indicator" for a properly installed top (although not guaranteed).
3 Pedals

Old 09-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
eymang

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 1991 Vert
Ive seen a couple of wind deflector/restricter for sale here. Is the wind really that bad on a vert? can you talk on bluetooth, whats the road noise like with the top up? what speed
eymang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #14
markas214

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS L99 SIM convertible
I've seen a 2014 up close and the top folds more compactly and seems a huge improvement. I'd buy a '14 vs saving a few grand on a leftover '13. I should have took some photos. The way the top folded up looked like it would stay tight while driving vs flapping wildly like my '12. Today I put my top down and it actually folded so poorly it was actually hang over the rear exterior bod panel.
markas214 is offline   Reply With Quote