Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-23-2016, 09:55 PM   #1
Hekate1

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
I can't shift the A8!

I'm having a really hard time getting the feel for manual shifting the A8. I know what ur thinking: Why didn't she just get the M6? Two reasons. The M6 sold before I got there, and I work in Austin,TX. Driving a manual shift full time in stop and go traffic is not something I really want to do. I've had manual 6 speed Z28's in the 90's and all my cars prior to that were manual as well, so I know how to drive a stick. But I've found without the clutch I just can't get the "feel" for when I need to shift. I have to keep my eyes glued to the HUD for tach reading to really know when it's time. I just want to have a little fun shifting when the driving conditions are right so I'd like to figure it out. Any Suggestions?
Hekate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
you can't tell by the sound?
Old 05-23-2016, 10:30 PM   #3
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
You just need more seat time.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:40 PM   #4
Hekate1

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookShow'84 View Post
You just need more seat time.
Thank u. I'll keep working on it. Maybe driving auto shift SUV's the last few years has taken away that feel I'm looking for.
Hekate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:13 PM   #5
thebiglubinsky

Drives: Infiniti G37S
I hate to break it to you but your never going to get what your looking for with an auto. It's a totally different experience with the manual transmission. It's much more engaging.
thebiglubinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:18 PM   #6
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

The relatively flat torque curve will somewhat hinder the 'seat of the pants' guage for shift points that most people rely on without watching the guages. It's ripping up through rpms so fast that the sound, more experience, and the feel of the hp leveling/slightly dropping will eventually work it's way into your muscle memory. It took me a little while to get the feeling for it in my first modern auto trans. but after a month or two it got to where i can hit shifts within a couple hundred rpm without looking anymore.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:32 PM   #7
bigdonut

Drives: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
you can't tell by the sound?
How can you tell with the clutch?
bigdonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:43 PM   #8
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

At this power level the car is bordering on too fast for a m6 to be a serious choice for the midnight flat spot. Feel is nice too though, just depends on how YOU use the car. Auto x , the 6 would be better. I have lots of steep hills, stop and go traffic, and kids yelling in my ear about who's hitting who so the a8 will be my choice. For my mcss the m6 was the right choice b/c I can launch the car at 4400 and still have it streetable for when I don't want to go nuts.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:48 PM   #9
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglubinsky View Post
I hate to break it to you but your never going to get what your looking for with an auto. It's a totally different experience with the manual transmission. It's much more engaging.
I agree with this. My last 2 cars had manual shift mode auto/DCT after driving manual sports cars since the 90's and I could never get any enjoyment out of manually shifting an auto. I just always leave them in auto mode. That instinct to shift just isn't something I could ever pick up either. With a manual tranny you just know when it's time to shift. Nothing against an auto, just my impressions from driving both as well.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:07 AM   #10
z28guy30

Drives: 2016 camaro 1ss
I have always loved manuals, but I enjoy driving my 2016 Camaro SS with A8 over any of the previous four M6 Camaro's I have owned. It certainly isn't your typical boring automatic! It shifts through the gears so damn fast!
Old 05-24-2016, 04:18 AM   #11
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
All I know is that I need to hit the upshift paddle as soon as I punch it from a 1st gear stop or I hit the limiter quickly. Took a little practice, but the car is much faster if I let it do its own thing.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:26 AM   #12
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28guy30 View Post
I have always loved manuals, but I enjoy driving my 2016 Camaro SS with A8 over any of the previous four M6 Camaro's I have owned. It certainly isn't your typical boring automatic! It shifts through the gears so damn fast!
Same here. I just upgraded from a 2013 1LE and before that I had a C5 Z06, which both only come in manual. I loved rowing my own gears but with the driving and traffic I encounter I went with the A8 this time around. It definitely is not a traditional slush box, it rips throug the gears super fast. I realize now when I was just casually shifting in normal driving how much delay I created because with this auto I find myself at the speed limit in what feels like no time. However with the manual you can get the engine singing a bit more and holding it in gear and decel all get more of the deceleration exhaust pop. With the A8 you can get is but I need to flip it into manual mode so it will hold the gear on decel.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:51 AM   #13
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Learn your car's sound as it progresses through the RPM, youll start to feel where it's pulling and where the tach on the binnacle or HUD is at for that feel and sound. I don't feel that sensation of the top of gears "running out of steam" and falling flat like older cars, so I'd not bother trying to feel for that.

Coming from an A6 Grand Sport Corvette, I find the A8 in my SS actually easier to work with and more responsive to commands.

What you should do is calculate out your top of gear speeds and memorize those, this way you'll be able to tell by MPH only where you're at in the current gear and even if you can't feel or hear it, you can see it by speed.

For high speed and shifting near redline, I've noticed the HUD is a couple hundred RPM behind at the top. So, command the shift a little early and you'll shift right at peak. I learned that at Road America a month back. Id hit the limiter on a couple spots and thought it was shift delay at first, it ended up being HUD tach delay.

Try just driving around some, radio off and windows down. Just run through gears at a moderate pace and feel the car out.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:01 AM   #14
Ajrothm

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
The paddles and manual shifting in general is pretty useless...the response time and delay is so bad with the trans functions in manual mode, it's like trying to hit a moving target.... The A8 in the SS acts just like the A6 did in my G8 and C6.. Definitely best to leave them auto/track and let them shift themselves.. Sucks, I was hoping the manual functions would be better with the new stuff.

2016 C7 Z06, A8
Laguna Blue
10.66@129.15
Ajrothm is offline   Reply With Quote