Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #15
Factorypilot

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Whaaaaat? No ZL1? Come on Richland County PD -- if you're gonna pursue, PURSUE!
Factorypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #16
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
I want to see a removable type of light bar that can stand the high speed. Right now my car that I use for patrol with a removable light can only stand a max speed of 80 mph, before it starts flapping.
Can't you get interior lights?
Old 10-19-2017, 04:07 PM   #17
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Glad to see my tax dollars put to good use. They don't even need these things for pursuits anymore. Looks like they just wanted to score some new cars so they made up a reason to get these.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #18
Factorypilot

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Glad to see my tax dollars put to good use. They don't even need these things for pursuits anymore. Looks like they just wanted to score some new cars so they made up a reason to get these.
Oh yeah? Just wait until they unveil the Richland County PD Lamborghini Aventador LP 750-4 Superveloce
Factorypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #19
Risky Justice

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
I agree. It seems like a poor use of tax payer money to buy something so impractical. Pretty sure that will have the exact opposite effect on community relations.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:29 PM   #20
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Not really. A lot of agencies have "cool cars." It's a conversation piece at events and the kids love them. It's not like the entire department is using them, it's just one unit.

Also, if anyone's watched Live PD, Richland County's already gotten into pursuits using their old Challengers.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:29 AM   #21
Risky Justice

Spending tax payer money on a conversation piece is not appropriate. The standard Charger is going to be just as cool for the kids to see, when you consider all the “gadgets”. As for high speed pursuits...if the helicopter can't kee up then they shouldn't chase. That just puts more lives at risk, when we all know nobody can outrun Motorola.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:37 AM   #22
BlackSovereign

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE Black
Lets see them with the push bumpers. I want to see them policed-out!
Old 10-20-2017, 07:06 AM   #23
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky Justice View Post
I agree. It seems like a poor use of tax payer money to buy something so impractical. Pretty sure that will have the exact opposite effect on community relations.
Quit whining. Police departments all over the country have had sports cars in their fleets for years.

Besides, the Camaro SS and the Caprice PPV are similar, the PPV being the 5th gen Camaro SS chassis and engine. Fleet pricing is probably similar if not the same.

So it doesn't have two rear doors. Like everyone else said, you call for transport after you nab the perp. Not that hard.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #24
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Pikers. If they want to impress me they need to step up to something like Dubai's police car fleet.

This picture was taken BEFORE they received their Bugatti Veyron.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #25
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Not really. A lot of agencies have "cool cars." It's a conversation piece at events and the kids love them. It's not like the entire department is using them, it's just one unit.

Also, if anyone's watched Live PD, Richland County's already gotten into pursuits using their old Challengers.
Did you read the first post?! They bought 17!!! I dare you to try and justify 17 brand new Camaros for this police department???

BTW the Challengers are just as stupid! Its literally a Charger with less doors! Same engine, same chassis, same speed. Just another piece of evidence of uneducated purchases by a government that continues to raise taxes and add to our National debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Quit whining. Police departments all over the country have had sports cars in their fleets for years.

Besides, the Camaro SS and the Caprice PPV are similar, the PPV being the 5th gen Camaro SS chassis and engine. Fleet pricing is probably similar if not the same.

So it doesn't have two rear doors. Like everyone else said, you call for transport after you nab the perp. Not that hard.
You are out of your mind if you think they are the same price and even if they were, you now need 2 cars and officers to do the job of what 1 4 door car would do. None of that is an efficient use of tax payer money.

Last edited by mjk3888; 10-20-2017 at 08:21 AM.
mjk3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #26
Risky Justice

Quote:

I am aware that misappropriations of tax payer money is a national issue. That doesn't justify other departments doing the same. Tire prices alone are going to cost way more and won't last nearly as long.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #27
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
You are out of your mind if you think they are the same price and even if they were, you now need 2 cars and officers to do the job of what 1 4 door car would do. None of that is an efficient use of tax payer money.
Fleet pricing is much different than you or I buying a car. The district doesn't even work with a dealership, they have their own fleet agent directly from General Motors they purchase the cars from. They might get delivered to a dealer and then the district picks them up from there, but they do not work with the dealership and the pricing is completely different.

Even if you COULD buy the Caprice PPV it would be $38-45k as the standard consumer price anyways, which is right in the same range of a Camaro SS. They probably paid $25-30k each through fleet pricing for their Camaro SS patrol cars. Hardly a misappropriation of funds.

Also, there's usually at least 2 cars on any scene with the exception of speeding tickets - and even then after a few minutes a second car arrives. There's no "inefficient use of tax payer money" on a crime scene. Everyone there is on the clock to begin with, it's not like they get paid by the call.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #28
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Fleet pricing is much different than you or I buying a car. The district doesn't even work with a dealership, they have their own fleet agent directly from General Motors they purchase the cars from. They might get delivered to a dealer and then the district picks them up from there, but they do not work with the dealership and the pricing is completely different.

Even if you COULD buy the Caprice PPV it would be $38-45k as the standard consumer price anyways, which is right in the same range of a Camaro SS. They probably paid $25-30k each through fleet pricing for their Camaro SS patrol cars. Hardly a misappropriation of funds.

Also, there's usually at least 2 cars on any scene with the exception of speeding tickets - and even then after a few minutes a second car arrives. There's no "inefficient use of tax payer money" on a crime scene. Everyone there is on the clock to begin with, it's not like they get paid by the call.
Any chance you or a family member are or were an officer?

My wife works for Ford Credit I'm well aware of how fleet pricing works. I don't care if they get the Camaros for $5 the Caprices would then cost $4. There is no reasonable explanation for needing 17 Camaros for this individual department! If you insist on needing it for PR or a pursuit then 1-2 would be just fine, but 17!!! I don't think so!!!

These aren't even under cover cars that could be used to patrol unsuspectingly. They have no practical use!

Look you and I aren't going to agree so no need to go rounds over this. As an SC resident I am extremely disappointed that state tax money funds stuff like this when clearly we have plenty of other issues that need to be sorted!

I'm absolutely not here to start some politically charged argument so this will be my final post on this thread, but ask yourself this. With the issues we have going on in this country don't you think that money would've been better spent on fully outfitting their department with body cams? Currently they are "Testing" cam setups instead of making a decision and getting them. Bottom line these SEVENTEEN CAMAROS were a misuse of funds and it was to reward themselves with some fun cars, PERIOD!