Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #1919
krusher

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM
Here is my update with how well mine is going. I got some flat black headers a coming kooks stepped headers. Only thing that went wrong was found out that there is a difference with Ford and GM fuel quick disconnects, would have been done along time ago.

[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Name:  SAM_0213.JPG
Views: 934
Size:  569.7 KB[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images

krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #1920
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusher View Post

Also, the cables are a daunting task any suggestions? I also saw that you soldered some lines, after reviewing the DIY I am still kinda confused, can you just buy extenders for the injector harness or what? Also this might be a dumb question, but is the only way to put heat shrink tube is to cut the wire, there is no way to pull over connectors???

Thanks
I have been wanting to re-do and clean up the wires on top of my motor too!(I think that's what you are reffering to) I've looked at the DIY and I am also confused! It would be nice to have a list with part #'s for exactly what you need and exactly where to reroute the harness! I have asked for help for a step by step with pics in the Wanted DIY section and with more than 400 views I havent had any luck yet! Hopefully, sometime, someone eventually will shed some light!!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #1921
krusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Ox View Post
I have been wanting to re-do and clean up the wires on top of my motor too!(I think that's what you are reffering to) I've looked at the DIY and I am also confused! It would be nice to have a list with part #'s for exactly what you need and exactly where to reroute the harness! I have asked for help for a step by step with pics in the Wanted DIY section and with more than 400 views I havent had any luck yet! Hopefully, sometime, someone eventually will shed some light!!
Honestly I think it is going to take us opening up the harnesses, placing the cables where we want them and if they don't hide away that is when you buy the harness to extend, I don't really know where I am going to hide this crap until I start digging into it, am am starting to open up the harnesses tonight, but I do need to know to put shrink rap tubing on we do need to cut the wires correct? I don't really want to do that so I need another alternative.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-LS2-LS3-...-/130543709200

An extender like this is what I was planning on using to get my coils off the valve covers.

Last edited by krusher; 03-05-2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: added content
Old 03-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #1922
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Honestly I think it is going to take us opening up the harnesses, placing the cables where we want them and if they don't hide away that is when you buy the harness to extend, I don't really know where I am going to hide this crap until I start digging into it, am am starting to open up the harnesses tonight, but I do need to know to put shrink rap tubing on we do need to cut the wires correct? I don't really want to do that so I need another alternative.

An extender like this is what I was planning on using to get my coils off the valve covers.
I would buy the extender. I just finished up my coil relocate Sunday night and would have rather used the extension harness than cut and splice. I ordered all the wire color matched, then cut and soldered, heat shrunk, and loomed all the harness. Big pain in the a$$ that could be avoided. I didn't really know where to hide my wires till I dug in. I'm only about 95% happy with how it looks, but I have not ordered my fuel rails or valve covers yet either. I can see how Nathan's project snow balled like it did. I worked on mine for a month and kept finding more things to do, better heat shrink, different ways to mount things, ect ect... What I thought would be a simple couple hundred dollar mod has turned into a 2 month, couple thousand dollar project. I ended up ordering a new grille, fog lights, and making my own tow hook while I had the front end off. Valve covers will be around $750. All the stuff I ordered to do the coil relocate and harness re-work has added up to probably at least $300. Once it's complete, it will be worth it I think.
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #1923
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
I know I know. Can I borrow your credit card before it melts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-V View Post
I'm with synner, grab one for me while your at it! lol At least shipping should be cheap!
Sorry guys, it melted, LOL

Quote:
Now with that being said I have a few questions/clarifications. I was liking the way you made your fuel rails and linked them so I was following a similar style. I am currently waiting on some fittings, but here are where I have questions on your set-up. Are the front of the rails capped as in some of the pics looked like they are and in others they are not.

First off, Krusher your project is reaaly come out nice! Secondly, sorry for the late response. I have been swamped and haven't had much time to post. When I got my rails, they came with these huge end fittings which I replaced with the smaller fittings in the pictures.

Name:  006-2.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  64.9 KB

Then on to the back, I have a 90 deg fitting from the driver's side going to a T-fitting connected to the other rail with a coupler and AN fitting. This is where the real clarification I need, what fitting goes to the stock connection, I have a AN fitting to a 3/8th spring female connection,

I'm not sure I follow your question here....

I don't need a aftermarket regulator or anything do I? I have talked to a few people, but I would assume stock connection and stock injectors why do I need a regulator?

You won't need any type of regulator.

Also, the cables are a daunting task any suggestions? I also saw that you soldered some lines, after reviewing the DIY I am still kinda confused, can you just buy extenders for the injector harness or what? Also this might be a dumb question, but is the only way to put heat shrink tube is to cut the wire, there is no way to pull over connectors???

Thanks
Krusher, I would go with Indy's input on the coil harness and just get extensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Indy Pace View Post
You can order extension harnesses for the coil wiring from Caspers: http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...oducts_id=1225 - little over $100 for the pair shipped. They will custom make them to what length you need. Not sure if that's what you mean, aside from tidying it up some, I left the injector wiring intact.
Thanks Indy for the input! What are your mod plans for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Ox View Post
I have been wanting to re-do and clean up the wires on top of my motor too!(I think that's what you are referring to) I've looked at the DIY and I am also confused! It would be nice to have a list with part #'s for exactly what you need and exactly where to reroute the harness! I have asked for help for a step by step with pics in the Wanted DIY section and with more than 400 views I haven't had any luck yet! Hopefully, sometime, someone eventually will shed some light!!
Blue, rerouting the harness so that all the wires come around the back of the engine isn't difficult. The thing is you have to take it one step at a time. By relocating the coils to the frame, It really cleans up the top of the engine. Once you've done this, you can see how it is easier to run all your injector wires through the back of the engine. I will be taking more detailed pictures when I reinstall the harness on the engine and explain how to route the wires. It will be easier to view as I will do it with the engine still outside of the car.

For now, my recommendation would be to just get some nice wire wrap and replace the factory plastic conduit. This will make a huge difference and get you familiar with how the harness is routed. As you go, you'll get better ideas on how to reroute them.

Quote:

Krusher, I couldn't agree more, you just need to dig in. Some of the sensor harness connectors can be run through the cavity between the water pump and timing chain cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10 View Post
I would buy the extender. I just finished up my coil relocate Sunday night and would have rather used the extension harness than cut and splice. I ordered all the wire color matched, then cut and soldered, heat shrunk, and loomed all the harness. Big pain in the a$$ that could be avoided. I didn't really know where to hide my wires till I dug in. I'm only about 95% happy with how it looks, but I have not ordered my fuel rails or valve covers yet either.

Fuel rails and valve covers are going to change the whole look for you and make a huge difference.

I can see how Nathan's project snow balled like it did. I worked on mine for a month and kept finding more things to do, better heat shrink, different ways to mount things, ect ect...

LOL, it is crazy how that happens

What I thought would be a simple couple hundred dollar mod has turned into a 2 month, couple thousand dollar project. I ended up ordering a new grille, fog lights, and making my own tow hook while I had the front end off. Valve covers will be around $750.

What valve covers are you going with?

All the stuff I ordered to do the coil relocate and harness re-work has added up to probably at least $300. Once it's complete, it will be worth it I think.
Post some pictures as

Some of you guys, I haven't forgotten about your questions, it's just that I haven't had a chance to get the info yet, bare with me.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #1924
LC
ou mai gad

Drives: SW 2SS x2
Post without update?

Old 03-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #1925
krusher

Quote:
Then on to the back, I have a 90 deg fitting from the driver's side going to a T-fitting connected to the other rail with a coupler and AN fitting. This is where the real clarification I need, what fitting goes to the stock connection, I have a AN fitting to a 3/8th spring female connection,

I'm not sure I follow your question here....

I was just asking about the female connector. since then I bought a GM femal connector as the one I previously did not work as it was too shallow. Finding out later there is a difference between GM and Ford quick connectors ....
Old 03-09-2013, 01:45 AM   #1926
Moreno1

Quote:
I was just asking about the female connector. since then I bought a GM femal connector as the one I previously did not work as it was too shallow. Finding out later there is a difference between GM and Ford quick connectors ....
Krusher, I will see you one .............. and raise you a hundred Believe me, I can relate, LOL. I've had more of those "Really.....are you freaking kidding me" moments than I can't count. I guess it's part of the fun and process. Your car will be worth it in the end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
Post without update?

LC, I love your pics Bro! Thats some funny..........OK, so here is a quick update with whats going on with G5R.

• Carbon fiber splitter, rockers, diffuser, ZL1 rear spoiler are being recreated as we speak. More on that as it progresses. I'm hoping 6 weeks to completion.
  • SEMA is a done deal . Will be in the main hall close to some of the best builders around. More on that later..... little clue, the car will be upon Ramps. 'Nuff said for now.
  • Got a UPS tracking number yesterday from Pfadt Racing. The rest of the components to finish the suspension are scheduled for Monday delivery . This will allow me to complete the front sub and roll the car out of the garage. With the car out, I can install the lift and raise the car to remove the rear cradle to get started on completely detailing the rear.
  • Next, the whole underside and engine bay will be painted.
  • Looking at replacing the intake with a twin plenum unit. Can't say too much right now but I got the prototype pictures yesterday. This will make crazy power!
  • New carbon fiber valve covers are getting completed with titanium bolts and custom fittings for my application.
  • Working on a set of wheels which will be debuting at SEMA. wait until you guys see this. 17lbs. And it will fit the theme perfectly.
Other than that, not much going on.

Oh, I picked up the PS rack today along with the pump.

It has definitely come along way from it's humble beginnings.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  106.5 KB

Still need a few details to call it done but she is getting there.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  132.0 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  149.0 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  111.9 KB

You can see where the nuts have been polished. Now I just need to finish painting the tie rods.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  87.7 KB

Here the PS with the AN fitting installed. This seemingly simple thing caused me a few of these

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  89.5 KB

Punched out the bushing in prep for the Pfadt replacements. It took a tremendous amount of of load to push these guys out.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  118.8 KB

Krusher this next excerpt might make you feel better about your moment. This is just one example of my moments!

I had decided to replace the stock PS pump with a Turn One high performance replacement unit. I was under the impression the Turn One PS pump was just a rebuilt Camaro pump with some pixie dust and some added black magic for good measure. The pump came set up to run a mounted tank. After searching high and low for an alternative to the factory plastic tank and even purchasing a billet tank, I decided I'd run a remote tank instead. This necessitated the installation of AN fittings to thread the hoses. I contacted Lee's Power Steering and was told they would need to rebuilt the pump as metal shaving would fall in when cutting the threads. Being that that was the case, I told Tom "owner" if I was going to have to get it rebuilt, I'd just bring him my stock pump and he could rebuild that one and add his own recipe of pixie dust and black magic. I hadn't bothered to remove the tank off to realize the pumps weren't identical. This assumption on my part, that the pumps were identical, set me up for a series of unfortunate events!

I dropped off the stock PS pump with the tank still on it and they proceeded to rebuild it and add AN fittings to it. When I went to pick it up, this would be the first time I had seen it without the tank on. I looked at it and said, "this isn't my pump". They said "yes it is". I said "this doesn't look like the Turn One pump I have at home. I went on their computer and pulled up this thread and looked at some of my pictures with the stock pump on them and said...."Holly crap, this is my pump".

So being that the factory pump is a heavier unit and was told the Turn One is a Type 2 pump thats a really good unit, I decided I'd go back home and bring them my Turn One pump and start over.

Mind you, it's a 270 miles round trip and takes a full day, which I ended up doing 8 times.

I wont even tell you how much poorer I'm am. But the consolation is I've made great friends with the whole crew at Lee's and I now consider Tom as family. He is 70 years young! And I now know what a type 2 PS pump means, LOL.

I will assure you, now when I think of the acronym "PS", power steering isn't what first comes to mind, it's more like "piece of sh......"

You can see that the factory pump is bigger and heavier than the turn One pump.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  125.9 KB
Old 03-09-2013, 04:44 AM   #1927
Ken_
Tally Ho!

Drives: 13 2SS/RS 6M, 05 Mitsubishi Evo 8
Man! I definitely enjoyed reading and seeing what you have done. Great methodology and presentation.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:53 AM   #1928
fastlane2010

Drives: 2010 camaro with fast lane stage 2
Where did you get the rack from

fastlane2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #1929
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_ View Post
Man! I definitely enjoyed reading and seeing what you have done. Great methodology and presentation.
Thanks Ken I appreciate that

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane2010 View Post
Where did you get the rack from
Fastlane LOL

JK, every on the PS rack was covered on post 1699, 1717, 1746, 1735, 1807, 1838, 1898, 1905 and 1927.

Let me know if you have in questions I can help help out with.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #1930
fastlane2010

Drives: 2010 camaro with fast lane stage 2
Where did you get the seal kit for it from

fastlane2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #1931
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane2010 View Post
Where did you get the seal kit for it from

Lee's Power Steering http://lee-powersteering.com/ Speak with Tom the owner. They build all kinds of power steering pumps, racks, reservoirs for racing applications. They also make their own fluid, fittings, etc. They even made a special tool to disassemble our racks since they are so new, there wasn't a tool available (see post 1735) I'm using their remote mounted finned reservoir tank that drop fluid tamp as much as 40 degrees in racing applications. He basically took me under his wing a taught me a bunch. I can't be more grateful for their help!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:41 AM   #1932
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Every one of these pieces after you're finished with them should be in a museum in glass cases. Putting all these jewels in a car that's going to be driven and get dirty seems almost like a crime. GM ought to give you an expenses-paid tour of the Camaro assembly plant just as a treat. I can easily imagine the design team being interested in seeing this beauty of yours after it's assembled and BEFORE you get it dirty.

That steering assembly is flat out beautiful. Incredible work Nathan, just incredible.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote