Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-16-2018, 05:46 PM   #29
HYPER1LE

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE HBM
I previously owned a 2002 Camaro SS M6 modified and tuned with a heads and cam package. Manual rev-matching required and I enjoyed it. Now that I have this 2017 SS 1LE, I enjoy the automatic rev-match even better. Sometimes, if I forget to activate it, I’m quickly reminded by the lurch forward on the first downshift. I only wish it could be controlled through the infotainment system and set on or off permanently (such as you can do with other settings on the car) rather than defaulting back to “off” each time the car is turned off.
HYPER1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:08 PM   #30
baron95
2018 1LE, NASA Instructor

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
The only problem I have with the Rev Match is that when I try it I sometime forget to turn it off, and then we both (me and computer) do it. Or I think I have it on and neither of us (me or computer) does it.

Heel and toe rev match is second nature to me and I love to do it. Having said that, on the street, when I am not hammering the brake (like a race track) my heel and toe is not as accurate or even comfortable (it feels weird doing it at part brake pressure). The computer is much, much better at part braking blips.

On track, it makes no difference. Even with the throttle delay, any brake zone long enough to require a downshift gives you more than enough time to do a big blip and nail the down shift.
baron95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:24 PM   #31
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
We're going to have to agree to disagree on the boldfaced part. I don't find any coolness in having a computer make me look good from the outside (it's kind of fake), and if I was insistent on having convenience for this task I'd just get an automatic and call it done. I'll take any imperfection on my part in stride and as incentive to keep working at getting better.

No flame intended, it's just the way I feel.
Well, rev matching was certainly not on my list of must-haves. I drove the car without it for a while before trying it. After using it, it's hard to deny the fact that it's a cool feature that works as intended.

LOL, it's a far cry from making the car more like an automatic. While it rev matches on upshift which to me is pointless, the only noticeable convenience is the blipping of the throttle. Hardly something I'd equate to driving an automatic. All clutch work and shifting is still up to the driver.

BTW, no offence taken with any of your comments.

Quote:
I get this. ARM was on a 6th gen 1SS I drove (briefly) last year. But even with zero previous driving experience in any 6th gen, double-clutch downshifting that car was hardly any different from double-clutching any of the cars in my sig or three more that aren'.

I suppose I could say that being able to do this yourself is portable from one car to the next (and the next and the next . . .), where the electronics stay with the car and wouldn't be backdate-able into an older car or a borrowed car that didn't have the feature.
I honestly think active rev matching was meant to take the place of heal-toeing and double-clutching at the track. Of course it works for street use too, but that wasn't the primary intention. I could be wrong.

As for double-clutching, I and 90% of manual drivers see it as too much work. Many see it as pointless on today's transmissions. Sure, it does ensure smooth downshifts, but to me, it's a feature that better suits the track.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:37 AM   #32
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
Well, rev matching was certainly not on my list of must-haves. I drove the car without it for a while before trying it. After using it, it's hard to deny the fact that it's a cool feature that works as intended.

LOL, it's a far cry from making the car more like an automatic. While it rev matches on upshift which to me is pointless, the only noticeable convenience is the blipping of the throttle. Hardly something I'd equate to driving an automatic. All clutch work and shifting is still up to the driver.

BTW, no offence taken with any of your comments.

I honestly think active rev matching was meant to take the place of heal-toeing and double-clutching at the track. Of course it works for street use too, but that wasn't the primary intention. I could be wrong.

As for double-clutching, I and 90% of manual drivers see it as too much work. Many see it as pointless on today's transmissions. Sure, it does ensure smooth downshifts, but to me, it's a feature that better suits the track.
You are correct, it is meant for track use for those who don't know how or aren't good at heel toe.

You said that it rev matches for upshifts? I haven't experienced that at all. Only thing mine does is blip the throttle during downshifts. Maybe I just haven't noticed it. After all, I only have 700 miles on the car. Still in winter storage. Long long winter. Ugh
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:52 AM   #33
torqueaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
You are correct, it is meant for track use for those who don't know how or aren't good at heel toe.

You said that it rev matches for upshifts? I haven't experienced that at all. Only thing mine does is blip the throttle during downshifts. Maybe I just haven't noticed it. After all, I only have 700 miles on the car. Still in winter storage. Long long winter. Ugh
Quoted from owner's manual page 224.

-----------------------------------------------------
Active Rev Match
Vehicles equipped with a V8 engine
and a manual transmission have
Active Rev Match (ARM). ARM aids
in smoother shifting by matching the
engine speed to the next selected
gear. By monitoring shift lever and
clutch operation, ARM adjusts
engine speed to match a calibrated
value based on gear selection. On
upshifts and downshifts, engine
speed will be decreased and
increased to match vehicle road
speed and transmission gear
position
---------------------------------------------------

So glad we don't deal with winter, it would drive me nuts not being able to drive it
Old 03-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #34
Msokeefe

Drives: 2018 1SS
I wish it was always on and you needed the paddle shifter to turn it off
Msokeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #35
Cgocifer

Quote:
Quoted from owner's manual page 224.

-----------------------------------------------------
Active Rev Match
Vehicles equipped with a V8 engine
and a manual transmission have
Active Rev Match (ARM). ARM aids
in smoother shifting by matching the
engine speed to the next selected
gear. By monitoring shift lever and
clutch operation, ARM adjusts
engine speed to match a calibrated
value based on gear selection. On
upshifts and downshifts, engine
speed will be decreased and
increased to match vehicle road
speed and transmission gear
position
---------------------------------------------------

So glad we don't deal with winter, it would drive me nuts not being able to drive it
Oh, cool! I do remember reading that! Guess I just haven't noticed it. There's still a ton of gizmos when stuff this car does that I haven't played with yet. Lol I haven't tried the competition modes or the PDR, or launch control, or no lift shifts... gonna have some fun of I can ever hit the 1500 mile break in. :-/
Old 03-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #36
torqueaddict

Well today I took a long drive and decided to test the active rev matching on upshifts as well. So I forced myself to let off the gas completely when shifting and let it do its thing. Did some highway runs and few spirited launches. Boy does it make shifting smooth and effortless! Add me to list of addicts, lol.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #37
Cgocifer

Quote:
Well today I took a long drive and decided to test the active rev matching on upshifts as well. So I forced myself to let off the gas completely when shifting and let it do its thing. Did some highway runs and few spirited launches. Boy does it make shifting smooth and effortless! Add me to list of addicts, lol.
So, how do you use it? Do you just let off the gas totally between shifts?
Old 03-17-2018, 04:26 PM   #38
JR91

Drives: Camaro 1SS
When I first got my Camaro about two years ago, I tested the rev match feature a few times, but I did not want to become dependent on it. So for the first few months, I tried to get familiar with what was required to drive the car smoothly. I feel that you should learn to do the rev matching yourself at first for both the upshifts and downshifts.

Just to be clear, I am not talking about learning how to heel and toe downshift, as that is a more advanced skill.
JR91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #39
torqueaddict

Quote:
Yep. Let off the gas, shift, get back on it.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:53 PM   #40
JR91

Drives: Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Rev matching during upshifts reduces the need to worry about timing your clutch release as the revs drop to achieve a smooth shift into the next gear.

3-4 Shift With Rev Matching

Release Gas Pedal > Depress Clutch > Shift into 4th Gear *Don't Need To Worry About Shifting Too Slow* > Release Clutch > Smooth Shift
JR91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:55 PM   #41
Cgocifer

Hmmm, I've been driving sticks since I was 15. I'm 42 now. Guess I'll just shift normally. The rev match will just make my screw ups less noticeable. Lol
Old 03-18-2018, 11:13 AM   #42
Kgoeb

Drives: 18 1LE, 12 Regal GS
I like the ARM. I heel and toe in my DD Buick, but it's handy to have it just do it for me in the Camaro. The delay with the drive by wire I find is what kills it (in all cars these days from what I've seen) but whatever. When I'm puttering around town in the Camaro I'll let it do it's thing. It sounds good with the NPP. Besides, the laziness is real lol
Kgoeb is offline   Reply With Quote