Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-24-2009, 09:51 PM   #57
sabrescamaro

Drives: TB SS and temporarily 2LTRS VR
Anything American is fine... CTS, Lacrosse, Camaro are the top for me (not in order). If American doesn't win, I hope the Panamera does. I don't like the car at all, but I don't mind Porsche.
sabrescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:56 PM   #58
sabrescamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
While the Camaro has all the buzz in the automotive world right now, I don't see it winning this particular award. There are way too many quality issues with this car for it to be put up on a pedestal.

I know I will take heat for saying that, but unlike a lot of people who are willing to chalk the issues up to the Camaro being "first year model" car and letting it go because they are GM diehards. I have owned no less than 4 "first model year" cars over the past 10 years, of various make, and none of them exhibited as many or the types of issues that already plague the Gen5 Camaro. In fact, with 3 of those cars, I had NO issues in terms of quality.

Are any of the issues thus far major? No, and they are certainly not making me rethink my decision to buy a Gen5, but I doubt you will get the same level of oversight from a neutral party.

(Please proceed to bash the "Ford" guy if you must.)
I think that being on the board has made us realize the problems way too much. I agree with your comment for the most part, but the vast majority of people have had no problems with their camaros. I don't hate ford, I just don't like their current lineup. I like the mustang and the edge. The rest of their cars are too neutral and plain, or they're just ugly. Not to try to put down a brand because of that, they make some terrific quality cars, I personally find most of them ugly. That's just my preference, and I hope it doesn't bother you... Plenty of people find the camaro ugly, too.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:31 PM   #59
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrescamaro View Post
I think that being on the board has made us realize the problems way too much. I agree with your comment for the most part, but the vast majority of people have had no problems with their camaros. I don't hate ford, I just don't like their current lineup. I like the mustang and the edge. The rest of their cars are too neutral and plain, or they're just ugly. Not to try to put down a brand because of that, they make some terrific quality cars, I personally find most of them ugly. That's just my preference, and I hope it doesn't bother you... Plenty of people find the camaro ugly, too.
Why would that bother me? I have two Mopars (Aspen and Crossfire Convertible) in the garage right now along with my GT500 and a '65 Mustang Fastback. In the past, these same spaces have been filled by several GM products. I am not a "Ford" guy any more than I am a "GM" guy or a "Chrysler" guy. As long as it is American, I'll be open to buying it.

I do agree the problems do tend to be magnified on the Camaro forums, but I've also heard people questioning the quality aspect of the car at work, and the folks I am talking about to are not car people at all.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:33 PM   #60
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
The brand should not be looked at when making this award. Just a car...

Camaro is hands down the best. Look at just the crashes so far how safe they have been. And no other car is causing crashes just from parking it on side of the road.

Any other car on the list is boring in comparison.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:35 PM   #61
Lauryn200
I Pity The Fool

Drives: Jeep Wrangler '06 & VW GTI 09
Volkswagen's Golf/Golf TDI is going to blindside the Camaro and Genesis....
Lauryn200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:17 AM   #62
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
The GTI is almost exactly like the Mustang - a very nice touch up to an already very nice design, but held back by using old powertrains. I'm very upset VW decided to not use the new 2.0T found in the A4 and European GTI in the American spec version.

You know, the anti-foreign sentiment here is really starting to bother me. It bothers me just as much as the anti-domestic sentiment found elsewhere. This whole country-of-origin bias is just depressing. By pre-judging a car based on the country it comes from, you're really closing your eyes to some great vehicles. Every major auto-producing country that sells in the NA market has something of real value. Sure, from an economic standpoint there is justification for being concerned about NA manufacturing capacity, but from an enthusiast standpoint, it makes no sense to snub a perfectly good car just because of some nationalistic bias. Segregating an award into "international" and "North American" is nothing short of bigoted and narrow-minded. Now I'm a proud American, don't care about political correctness, but I can sure respect foreign manufacturers. Seems that makes me the minority here.

/soapbox.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:26 AM   #63
McGruff

Drives: 98 Saturn
Quote:
Porsche Panamera
Are you kidding me? The only reason that car might sell is because of the Porsche name, otherwise that car is the most hideous thing I've ever seen.
McGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:27 AM   #64
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post

You know, the anti-foreign sentiment here is really starting to bother me. It bothers me just as much as the anti-domestic sentiment found elsewhere. This whole country-of-origin bias is just depressing. By pre-judging a car based on the country it comes from, you're really closing your eyes to some great vehicles.
/soapbox.
It's a Camaro forum. I don't think it's supposed to be a fanbase for cars like that. As great a forum as it is.

I think your generalizing way to much into maybe someones opinion expressed.

The forum is not going to evolve into a foreign car fan club if that's what your thinking.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:29 AM   #65
2L8IWON

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS SIM
[QUOTE=stovt001;616771]Sedan won last year. And unlike say the BMW 3 series sedan and coupe, the Genesis sedan and coupe have very little in common. The sedan is pure luxury, little performance; the coupe is the opposite.QUOTE]

Sorry, I knew the coupe was much different from the sedan, but I was just going by what the admin posted on the Homepage stating the coupe won last year. That's why I was having a problem with it being a nominee again this year.
I get a GM employee discount on my Camaro would be one good reason I'm biased, not to mention my second car was an Iroc Z. Hyundai got the award last year even though it was the sedan. Different car yes, but this isn't the Oscar awards where you should be able to take home 8 or more awards. Gotta give GM major kudos for finally bringing back the new Camaro as a head turner and for offering a 400HP car for mid thirties. Whether it's sexy, but heavy, it is still an American Icon just like the vette with has had the car of the year.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #66
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Uhh...I think the reason it's known as "North American Car of the Year" is because it's awarded at the NORTH AMERICAN International Auto Show...

As long as a GM wins, I'm happy. Ford too.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #67
N6504X

Drives: 2007 F-150 KR
I just have to chime in.... I hope the Camaro wins because I own one...

If it will get those AWFUL Prius commercials off the air, you know the ones, with the Wizard of OZ looking vegetation and that AWFUL music, then please let the Prius win...
Old 06-25-2009, 05:09 PM   #68
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
The genesis coupe is going to take it.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #69
sabrescamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Why would that bother me? I have two Mopars (Aspen and Crossfire Convertible) in the garage right now along with my GT500 and a '65 Mustang Fastback. In the past, these same spaces have been filled by several GM products. I am not a "Ford" guy any more than I am a "GM" guy or a "Chrysler" guy. As long as it is American, I'll be open to buying it.

I do agree the problems do tend to be magnified on the Camaro forums, but I've also heard people questioning the quality aspect of the car at work, and the folks I am talking about to are not car people at all.
I just didn't want to get the "guy that attacks the guy with the mustang" tag. I like all American cars because they're American more than the competitors, also.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #70
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
The Camaro is the most breathtaking design by far. Hell, I wasn't even going to buy another car....and then I say the concept Camaro!
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote