Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Ever ride on a passenger jet near the engines and hear that constant humming?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Off View Post
Best way I have ever heard it described.
No, this is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4PK View Post
Picture a hang over and your girlfriend won't stop talking.

Last edited by willhe64; 03-27-2013 at 11:07 AM.
willhe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #16
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Drone can get annoying really quick. I remember I had a o/r H and flowmasters on my old mustang. Yeah it sound awesome, and sounded great. First long road trip I took I wanted to give myself a concussion from the drone. Swapped it to Borlas and that made a huge difference.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
Forte

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM W/ Black Stripes
I always find this concept of "drone" to be pretty funny. People want to make their exhaust deeper/louder then complain of the "drone" that comes from it... Doesn't make any sense. That's like putting a 2,000 watt amp/subs combo in and having it at 10% power because it's too loud.
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #18
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte View Post
I always find this concept of "drone" to be pretty funny. People want to make their exhaust deeper/louder then complain of the "drone" that comes from it... Doesn't make any sense. That's like putting a 2,000 watt amp/subs combo in and having it at 10% power because it's too loud.
But drone only happens at certain RPMs. you can make it go away by going faster or slower.

Like I said with my old mustang and the flowmasters, once I took a long trip with it it the drone was unbearable. Switched to Borla stingers no more drone, also got a better louder exhaust haha
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #19
Asian Zero

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
humumumumumummm sound that is typically found around 1600 - 2200 rpms (varies slightly from car to car).

It's usually not all that bothersome in city driving. But get on the highway for a long drive, and bad drone can drive you crazy (and give you a headache). It can make having a conversation with someone else in the car almost impossible if the drone is bad enough.

Some guys don't mind it (usually the younger crowd). Most older (more mature) drivers hate bad drone.
Choose your aftermarket exhaust properly, and you can have a nice aggressive exhaust with little to no drone.
I have MRT 2.0s on my 1LT there is a drone right around 1700-2000rpm range. kinda sounds like youre in an airplane. Does it bug me? not really I like hearing my exhaust and my car is my daily driver so I listen to it all day every day. I use to drive back and forth from school which was 3.5 hours away and it never bugged me the then either. I agree with the younger crowd vs older crowd argument. The older you get the more you hate young hooligans and loud noises LOL. 98% of the time I have my music and subs up loud enough to where I cant hear any drone. so it all depends on what you use your car for and your personal preferences.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
Droning is when the resonance frequency of the Muffler is reached, at that point the Muffler vibrates, and this can be very loud, I had a FlowMaster(40) series, that vibrated so bad, (and at 35-40 mph) that the same day they installed them, I had them take them off. They installed Magnaflows, which cured the problem.
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote