Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Interchangeable parts (from v8 to v6)

Hi, the point of this is to get a list of what can basically be thrown from a v8 (SS or Zl1) into a v6 (2011 LS) with little to no extra hassle. I'm curious because I see things like stock suspension or exhaust, intakes etc on Kijiji all the time and wonder if it would fit. For example, there's a guy selling a stock intake from a Zl1 for $60 (new), would this fit and or have any benefit for example? If not I'll just buy one from Phastek this week, but why spend 5 times as much if I can get close for less...

Basically, what have you or someone you know thrown into a v6 from a higher model with success?

Thank you!

And yes I'm fully aware I should and need to buy a SS, just won't be happening this year so until then I'm making the most of what I got.
CocoaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
Forcer

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Intakes are Model specific, LTT and LFX engines have their own, SS - LS3 and L99 have theirs, and Zl1's + have their own.

I suggest just buying a cold air intake for your specific engine.. im assuming yours is a LLT engine, i have a cold air inductions intake im selling if you want it cheaper then new... PM me.
Forcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Sure will do! I figured the intake I saw wouldn't work but wasn't sure! Now I know! I'll shoot you a pm
Old 05-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I see your fairly new to the site. This topic is far to big to cover in one post.

I'd suggest your read around the V8 & V6 forums below this general forum for some ideas. There are several "pinned" topics that you can read up on that will give you some good idea on what your looking for.

To answer your question more direct most exhaust can be swapped without too much hassle. You can grab the SS stock Brembo's for a V8 and put them on your V6 for more stopping power. A 1LE strut bar with work too although I see you have a 2011 so you'll need to drill & tap for the bolts.

Good luck and happy modding!
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Hi Kaboom, I am fairly new here, thank you for the advice! I'll see what I can find regarding retrofits! I see catbacks from the SS fairly often, I'll have to look into that more now!
Old 05-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Brembo's won't fit on 18" ls wheels.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
NYYFan325

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If I can make a suggestion...

I was in a similar situation (had a 2012 1LS, wanted a SS but couldn't afford at the time). Don't waste your money on mods. Pay off more of your car, put the money aside towards down payment. You won't get any of that money back you're going to spend. If the goal is an SS don't spend money on the LS.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYFan325 View Post

I was in a similar situation (had a 2012 1LS, wanted a SS but couldn't afford at the time). Don't waste your money on mods. Pay off more of your car, put the money aside towards down payment. You won't get any of that money back you're going to spend. If the goal is an SS don't spend money on the LS.
+1
Read this post. Absorb it. And live by it. You'll save yourself a bunch of money and aggravation.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #9
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Quote:

Yes, I'm thinking along those lines for the most part. Ideally I want to keep it under $1500 dollars, nothing crazy. I've realized I just want a CAI, and a cat back. Maybe a bit more to spice up the exterior but it's staying mostly stock (no turbos or anything crazy). Haven't decided if I really want to do anything suspension wise, as it's my Dd and will be. I wouldn't be buying a SS for at least a year and a half. Just need a bit more power until then
Old 05-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
Take the 1500 and put it in the bank or other safe investment. In a year and a half you will have something of value to use toward the purchase of the SS. I get wanting to tinker with what you have now but if you seriously plan on getting rid of it in a year or so anyway, why waste the money.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:39 PM   #11
NYYFan325

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoaKid View Post
Yes, I'm thinking along those lines for the most part. Ideally I want to keep it under $1500 dollars, nothing crazy. I've realized I just want a CAI, and a cat back. Maybe a bit more to spice up the exterior but it's staying mostly stock (no turbos or anything crazy). Haven't decided if I really want to do anything suspension wise, as it's my Dd and will be. I wouldn't be buying a SS for at least a year and a half. Just need a bit more power until then
I had my LS for 1 year and a few days. I wanted a CAI, exhaust, and to get rid of the god awful stock rims the day I purchased it. Didn't wind up doing one of them. I could have grabbed a set of LT 18" rims/tires for 400 locally. Passed on that too. As hard as it was I didn't put 1 penny in the car (other then tint, which in vegas is damn near required).

Listen to the post above me $1500 is a nice chunk for a down payment. I put $500 down on my 2010 and my payments actually went DOWN from my LS.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #12
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Quote:
I had my LS for 1 year and a few days. I wanted a CAI, exhaust, and to get rid of the god awful stock rims the day I purchased it. Didn't wind up doing one of them. I could have grabbed a set of LT 18" rims/tires for 400 locally. Passed on that too. As hard as it was I didn't put 1 penny in the car (other then tint, which in vegas is damn near required).

Listen to the post above me $1500 is a nice chunk for a down payment. I put $500 down on my 2010 and my payments actually went DOWN from my LS.
Did you have yours paid off when you did that? I'm basically in the same boat minus the wheels thank God. Got mine used at 16000kms and had nice 20" rims with Invos already. Had to buy the stock ones or winter actually lol. What stopped me from trading it in the other month was what I'd have to roll over.

Thanks for the solid advice guys, definitely good food for thought. I need to figure out what my plans are for the car I have now long term, maybe I'll just keep it basically stock for a winter beater and start saving for a Zl1 now. That would make the most sense.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #13
NYYFan325

Nope, I broke even on the trade. I paid my normal car payments for year a 1 month (no I didn't do any double payments). I think my car was worth ~20 and I owed 20,100 or something close to that. Been a while lol
Old 05-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #14
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
A V-Max Throttle body will give you quicker throttle response. $150 isn't too steep. I love mine. Your talking exhaust, most aftermarket exhausts are interchangable, 2.5 in, but keep the stock, loud exhaust might lower trade in value. A K+N air filter will cost you $50, not as good as a cold air intake, but much better than stock. Good luck with your car.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote