Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
GM CANADA LACKING FAIR CUSTOMER SERVICE

For those of you that have followed or been interested in the hood insert credit debacle, I received a call from GM Customer service about the hood insert credit this morning.

First let me say, there are what, 85 ZL1's sold in Canada for 2012 ? I feel honored to own one. My dealer has been excellent throughout the process. I love my car, I appreciate the workers, the builders,the engineers, the salesman,the managers and general managers, everyone else who built such a wonderful machine and supplied it to me to enjoy..
But, as honored as I feel, it is still just a car, and a retail purchase with a large company and a relatively large dollar amount. Yes, as honored as I am, I still expect fair and proper treatment from that company for my purchase.

Apparently, GM CANADA has no intention of providing an equality in the level of customer service and appreciation that GM U.S. does for U.S. customers.

They have denied any credit for the hood insert for Canadian customers.
This from the top guy at GM or so says the rep who has been working to try and get me the credit.

How unfortunate for GM Canada.

I, and others on this site, have been devoted General Motors customers for decades. Heck in my family that goes back several generations. That is all about to change.

Before someone rips me a new one for saying anything about how petty the amount involved is, realize that this is not about the money. Its about principle and customer satisfaction, Its about equality in the North American market, Its about fair business practices, free trade, its about treating customers right. The credit is but 1% of MSRP, and apparently that amount is worth losing customers over.

I, and anyone I have talked to on the subject, see no reason why Canadian customers should be treated any differently than their American counterparts with regard to this credit, other than GM Canada feels that we, as their customers, are simply not worth it.

If GM Canada feels (630.00 x 85 or $53,000 (if everyone got their credit) is worth losing hundreds of thousands no ..millions, in future vehicle sales, then no problem. But I find it bizarre. It goes against everything I know of customer service. forget the dollar value it just boggles the mind from purely a customer service perspective.

This may be the reason why GM Canada struggles to maintain Canadian customers when people can just go a few miles south and be treated like a king.
I know of several ZL1's in Canada that were brought up from or purchased in the U.S. by Canadians in this province alone. They got the credit. They bought it cheaper. Yes, because of GM Canada warranty sanctions they lost 6 mos. of warranty off the get go. seems a pittance. And why would such a sanction exist if every thing was fair one must ask themselves.
A part..even a part, made in Canada, purchased in Canada from GM Canada, is FOUR times the cost of the same part in the U.S. FOUR TIMES!. I priced a cylinder head a few days ago. 743.00 bought in Canada, 187.00 in the U.S. Don't believe me, price it yourself. Bare ZL1 cylinder head.

GM U.S had no problem in an 1800 some-odd vehicle credit amounting to over 1 million dollars to make their customers happy, and treat them with repect and what is fair.

In the last 2 years I have spent on vehicle purchases roughly $142,000 dollars. That has now ended. I will keep my current vehicles.
For the time being.

But.. I only keep vehicles an average of 2 to 3 years before getting something different. My next and all future business will, unfortunately be with another manufacturer, and before you shake your heads..yes I AM that stubborn.

If I set my mind to it there is nothing that is within my grasp of changing that I can't change.

When I was a little kid I was kinda chunky.I liked Hockey, but wasn't very good at it. I wanted to play goal and no one would let me. I decided I would be a goalie and I would be a good one. Went from "b" house league (lowest of low) to rep. level as a goalie in 1 year between Bantam and Peewee. Played right on up to Junior A hockey, never looked back.

I got rhumatoid arthritis to the degree I was hospitalized for over a month when I was 30, and told I wouldn't walk again. 2 small kids and a wife to support. 6 mos later I was walking about, 8 mos I was off all meds and still am. Doctors are still mystified.

Got diagnosed with cancer in 2006. Radiation, surgery the whole nine yards beat that. clear to this day.
Quit smoking after 25 years of smoking. Cold turkey in 1 day never looked back.. beat that.
So if anyone should doubt my resolve, think again.

Anyway just thought other Canadian customers of GM would like to know how thier car company feels about them, and how things work up here in the North.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
blackcam2ss

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #659
in my opinion there should be no different between Canada and US customers, that’s just poor customer service!!
blackcam2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
I agree with what you say about the service level. Since GM is a global company, one would think that the credit would apply to all NORTH american vehicles. I stand by your convictions and I hope that you can get more people to agree and sway GM Canada to change their practices towards their customers.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Thanks.
Most people get what I am talking about here. Its really common sense.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Max536

Drives: ‘12 ZL1 - ‘20 G63 AMG - ‘12 LP550-2
AMEN TO THAT!!!!! When I first picked up my ZL1, I looked like an idiot asking about the deduction of the ECF hood and they all kept telling me that there is no such thing. First no tracking Canadian ZL1's, then this.

p.s. Late congrats on beating cancer!

Last edited by Max536; 08-10-2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Stuff
Max536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
If it makes you feel any better, Ford of Canada is worse. No track day as Promised to Boss owners in Marketing Material and no Boss Owners Kit, which was announced as a "surprise." They charge nearly 10K more for the car north of the border, and give us less. I am a proud Canadian, but really, why have a GM or Ford Canada? It's a North American Auto Industry. Boo to both of them...

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
Zee-Ell-One
YOOZ GOTA B FREKN KIDN ME

Drives: 2013 6mt ZL1#826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
If it makes you feel any better, Ford of Canada is worse. No track day as Promised to Boss owners in Marketing Material and no Boss Owners Kit, which was announced as a "surprise." They charge nearly 10K more for the car north of the border, and give us less. I am a proud Canadian, but really, why have a GM or Ford Canada? It's a North American Auto Industry. Boo to both of them...
I would be pissed too... EH!
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 6.2 L86 Crew Cab
2012 Aprilia RSV4 R
2015 Husqvarna FC450 Motomadness
First Car: 1973 Dodge Charger 340 Magnum 4MT Factory Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter
Zee-Ell-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Well, at this point the next new car I buy is coming from down south guaranteed. I have had it with the Canadian treatment.
Just how dumb do you have to be as a company to not understand that customers here are not going to stand for inequality. There is NO reason for it other than greed.

If I could see a plausible reason of some kind I could maybe twist my mind around it, but there IS NO REASON. Its a very poor decision, and it will cost GM Canada millions of dollars in sales unfortunately.

So far, as it looks I would have saved 4600.00 buying the car South of the border for no explainable reason. Look, We are not buying vehicles from Turkey here. Its not being shipped across the sea. Its 5 miles to the south and in this case the bloody car is built in Canada.

This is very unfortunate too for dealers. There are some (most) excellent dealers in Canada who have to try to make a living in Canada trying to convince people to buy cars here when due to factors beyond thier control, the Canadian division of the company is making a very unlevel playing field for them.
It is much easier and cheaper to buy them in the U.S. I think companies like GM of Canada, and Ford of Canada have overstayed their welcome. There is no need for these entities if we as Canadians have to subsidize them to exist. For what? Jobs? nope. How many plants are left in Canada compared to 15 -20 years ago. We pay WAY too much in taxes here already, so...well I could write a book but my fingers are tired and I am way too depressed at this.

Last edited by 2012ZL1; 08-11-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Let me ask you this. Did you get what you bought? Why are you looking for anything else. I don't think GM was under any obligation to give anyone a credit. Just be happy for the guys that got it. You got what you bought.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

I had originally wanted black insert and black wheels. When it went on constraint I changed to carbon fiber and polished. So, no I did not get what I wanted
Old 08-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
gm_joe

Drives: 2002 Pontiac GP 40th GTP, 2012 ZL-1
I feel the same way. There are many manufactures competing for your dollars. I value customer service more than the product itself, so I understand what you are feeling. In the end you must do what is right for you.
gm_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #12
gm_joe

Drives: 2002 Pontiac GP 40th GTP, 2012 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
Let me ask you this. Did you get what you bought? Why are you looking for anything else. I don't think GM was under any obligation to give anyone a credit. Just be happy for the guys that got it. You got what you bought.
They were not obligated to give the credit, but they did. Why the different rules for Canadian customers?
gm_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm_joe View Post
They were not obligated to give the credit, but they did. Why the different rules for Canadian customers?
Good point, but you got what you ordered at the end of the day.
Sorry you are not happy though.

Hope you get some satisfaction, in the end you get the final vote .... with your wallet.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
snapp32e

Drives: '81-Z28/'07-Tundra/'12-ZL1/'13-Jeep
I'm on board with you 2012ZL1. Your 100% in saying it isn't about the $$ and in fact is just about the principal. The only reason auto manufactures do this is because they get away with it. If more people start speaking up and voicing their concerns about equality between what those south of the border are granted and what we receive then they are going to have to change their policies. We are purchasing customers the same as everyone else besides, what ever happen to the customer comes first? We are the ones they rely upon. I'm sure in the next 2 or 3 years when I decide to replace this ZL1 with the latest and greatest I will do a lot of research outside of GM and domestic vehicles in general.
ZL1 #612
snapp32e is offline   Reply With Quote