Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #155
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
This ↑↑↑ .

For this particular thread, keep in mind that auto climate control typically robs you of the ability to select a forced fresh air mode when neither A/C nor heat is particularly desired, and the wind noise from wide-open side glass is actively unwanted.

Your other list of features (AC, power windows, power mirrors, auto dim mirrors, onstar, dual power seats, heated seats, HUD, MYLink with satellite and NAV, remote start, ambient lighting) that have gradually become common over time - one of the problems with "feature creep" is that it is not self-limiting. Too many people want ever more luxury and too much done for them in a flashier or fancier way than necessary. How did we get so spoiled?

A few features do have recognizable safety benefits - A/C for windshield defogging, power windows because it is unreasonable (or in some cases flat-out physically impossible) for the driver to reach a passenger side window crank being two easy examples.

But the rest are largely irrelevant to the tasks of driving, which can be a rewarding experience in its own right if you choose to let it. So bottom line yes, you could very reasonably pack auto climate along with the rest of the irrelevants into a Berlinetta (or whatever) package.

A Z/28 would absolutely be an option for some, maybe even me if I felt financially irresponsible enough to raid my retirement fund to get it and risk all of the downstream consequences of doing so. But all things considered, that would make a 1LE stripped to nearly the same hardcore level the top Camaro option overall, at least for people like me.

Flip side dep't:
I really have to wonder what the "must have all the features/performance mostly secondary" crowd would feel if for some unknown reason it became impossible to buy a Camaro or other muscle car/ponycar without having them equipped with 1LE or higher levels of performance - and that that equipment and performance was all built into the base price of the car with no way to opt out. If that makes anybody squirm a little, maybe I've made my point.

Norm
always interesting to read your thoughts, Norm!

....and I think you made a very good point!
Old 09-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #156
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
How about heated floor mats....?

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #157
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
These cars were designed to be capable of being driven in the winter but the majority of these cars will never see snow by their 1st owner. These are primarily summer cars.
I disagree.

I might agree to "....the majority of these enthusiast owned cars in areas that experience snow and icewill never see snow......

...and even then, I know of many enthusiasts who own more than one Camaro - one of them being a daily driver.......

We sold nearly 95,000 Camaros in 2013 - - a majority of those cars went to people who are most likely not enthusiasts.........

And THAT is what we must look at..........so there IS an argument for Automatic Climate Control on the next generation Camaro........

...but I would also say that when we were working on the current car in the mid 2000s - climate control wasn't a big issue to most. (...and yes, we asked the question to a lot of people......) The times they DO change!.......
Old 09-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #158
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
How about z28 running gear in an all new stepside S10!!!! Oh wait, wrong board, sorry. Going back to www.inmydreams.com now.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #159
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
On a more serious note, how about a V6 sports package that includes not only better suspension and brakes but a bump in HP and performance enhancing gears? Sort of a .5LE
Old 09-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #160
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
I see what you did there.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #161
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Even if your Camaro is a 'summer only' vehicle then there are still quite a few cool mornings and evenings where it can help, unless you put it away in September until June.

And BTW - I agree with AngryBird a few posts up. That would be nice to have & be comparable to the Mustang options.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #162
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAJETSKI View Post
How about z28 running gear in an all new stepside S10!!!! Oh wait, wrong board, sorry. Going back to www.inmydreams.com now.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #163
Redvert13ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert Red, 2011 Synergy Red
Dual climate control is just another Blend door waiting to fail anyway. I replace blend door actuators all the time in GM products especially the Impala.

Just a Techs Opinion
2013 ZL1 Red Convertible black wheels leather wheel and stick 1 of 118.... 2011 2SS RS Synergy Series package A and B Red 1 of 30 known to exist...1995 Z28 396 Stroker T56 373 headers Borla unibody connects C5 wagon wheels...2010 CBR1000RR power commander two brothers...2001 Step Side Silverado 6.0 4L60E 2010 17" wheels DD

Adrenalin Junkie DNA
Redvert13ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #164
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macina View Post
Spoiled?
If we, the customers that buy these things didn't have any demands the manufacturers wouldn't develop new and exiting things. Of course we should demand the highest quality possible for our hard earned cash!

Skickat från min C6603 via Tapatalk 2

Yes. Spoiled.

I am not accepting your "new and exciting things wouldn't be developed" argument. The reason I won't accept it is that none of the things I listed as standard features have a clear cut pathway to generating your "new and exciting" angle. They are simply convenience and/or luxury items that have become taken for granted
Old 09-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #165
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
On a more serious note, how about a V6 sports package that includes not only better suspension and brakes but a bump in HP and performance enhancing gears? Sort of a .5LE
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #166
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
I would agree with part of what you're saying - however, "all the stuff you guys want" will not necessarily be in the next generation Camaro. Go back and read my post - there is simply no way to incorporate all the stuff that everyone wants - because there's no way to get everyone to agree on anything.......

I don't say this to belittle you - but I don't want people thinking: COOL! I'll have heated and cooled cup holders and the jacuzzi in the trunk!
way too old to worry if I'm being belittled, Scott....LOL...of course not "everything" , but certainly the features in the new impala - which is what I meant...and what I wrote....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #167
IowaGuy

Drives: 2013 Cyber Gray Metallic Chevy Volt
Can we get factory snow tires too? How, how about a snow scoop? Or I could use, welll, my truck.

Honestly whichever company makes a lighter faster STYLISH car will get my dollars in 2015. Hope the other company's get HUD though. IMHO HUD is almost a must have now that I'm used to it.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #168
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
I disagree.

I might agree to "....the majority of these enthusiast owned cars in areas that experience snow and icewill never see snow......

...and even then, I know of many enthusiasts who own more than one Camaro - one of them being a daily driver.......

We sold nearly 95,000 Camaros in 2013 - - a majority of those cars went to people who are most likely not enthusiasts.........

And THAT is what we must look at..........so there IS an argument for Automatic Climate Control on the next generation Camaro........

...but I would also say that when we were working on the current car in the mid 2000s - climate control wasn't a big issue to most. (...and yes, we asked the question to a lot of people......) The times they DO change!.......

The times aren't changing its the buyer.I came from a BMW with all the bells and whistles and most of that crap I never used.I for one enjoy the driving experience not all the B.S. that can be crammed into a car.

I was watching a comedian not to long ago talking about the radio controls on a steering wheel.His comment was,now who is that efing lazy that they can not reach 1ft to change the radio.

What we are dealing with here is need and want.Do some need all this extra carp in a car,no.Do some want it,yes.Now mind you after said items are added and there is a price increase they will whine about that aslo.

Like the song goes,you cant please everyone so you got to please yourself.I for one am happy with my Camaro you guys did a great job.Hell I remember when cars came with no A/C at all.We called it 260 air,roll down two windows and go 60mph.