Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > V8 - Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons, Tuning Equipment

Old 11-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
F/S ADM RACE AIR INTAKE KIT

Adm cold air kit. Race type with carbon fiber insert. only on for a couple months. Comes with race scoop 300.00
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
crangie

Drives: Camaro ZL1 #641
Is it the ZL1 one?
crangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Yes it is. Had it on my ZL1 but with my cam change, pulleys etc. I need more air. Its too bad cause I like the look of this cai better than the rest. It comes with the "scoop" as well, but I didn't use it becasue to use it you need to remove the brake duct on the driver side. You can sell the brand new scoop to SS guys for 40 bucks or so.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
crangie

Drives: Camaro ZL1 #641
I am interested. I am surprised to read though that the ADM Cai wouldn't provide enough air for your mods. As I plan a similar build it makes me reconsider. Also didn't know that you have to remove the brake duct for the scoop.
crangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

I was surprised also. My tuner is the one who says that and I'm not sure if the engine sees less air or it the maf just reads it differently.
It could be more of an issue with the fact my tuner is not familiar with the intake. He is having trouble with the maf tables aparently, and to him it reads as if there is less air volume. Hard to understand when I look at it becasue it has a high flow k&n style large cone air filter and a fairly straight shot tube to the throttle body.
The ADM also has the maf sensor in the box, or out of the engine heat. This puts it further from the throttle body and may change the way the tables would be set up. I actually prefer the maf inside the airbox like the ADM.
Nobody else puts it in the air box and some peole go to extremes to try to cool the maf when its outside the airbox.
I ordered a Rotofab unit because he is familiar with the tuning required for their cai.

The ADM worked real well up until the cam/lower pulley change. My cam is very radical for street use, and its pretty pullied up at this point.

I don't particularly like the looks of the Rotofab unit at all, but if my tuner has less trouble with it with my mods I guess I will use it.

The airscoop comes with it but it is primarily for the SS. You could use it but you would have to remove the brake duct on the left. ADM does not have a specific duct for the ZL1. I drilled five 1 inch holes in the brake duct and that effectively supplies ducted air to the cai. It already gets air from the normal air inlet locations on the rad support as well. The datalog information showed very good (low) intake air temp which tells me the engine heat was completely cut off from the intake, and the ducting was doing its job to bring in cool air.