Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Talking PTM Modes......Misunderstood?

So I've been having fun with my ZL1 since I got her a few months ago. I think one of the most amazing things about this car is the MRC and how it adjust the suspension.

I really think most drivers don't realize what they have at their finger tips...

I'm still learning myself.

So from what I've read and experience there appears to be 8 modes total:

1. TOUR - Everyday driving. Suspension in "soft" mode for comfortable driving.

2. SPORT - Stiffer suspension. For casual canyon driving.

3. PERF TRACTION 1 – WET /
ACTIVE HANDLING ON
. Intended for all driver skill levels.
. Wet or damp conditions
only — not intended for use in
heavy rain or standing water.
. StabiliTrak is on and engine
power is reduced based on
conditions.

4. PERF TRACTION 2 – DRY /
ACTIVE HANDLING ON
. For use by less experienced
drivers or while learning a new
track.
. Dry conditions only.
. StabiliTrak is on and engine
power is slightly reduced based
on conditions.

5. PERF TRACTION 3 –
SPORT 1 / ACTIVE
HANDLING ON
. For use by drivers who are
familiar with the track.
. Requires more driving skill than
mode 2.
. Dry conditions only.
. StabiliTrak is on and more
engine power is available than in
mode 2.

6. PERF TRACTION 4 –
SPORT 2 / ACTIVE
HANDLING OFF
familiar with the track.
modes 2 or 3.
. Dry conditions only.
. StabiliTrak is off and available
engine power is available is the
same as mode 3.

7. PERF TRACTION 5 – RACE /
ACTIVE HANDLING OFF
familiar with the track.
in other modes.
. Dry conditions only.
. StabiliTrak is off and available
engine power is available for
maximum cornering speed. for
Use mode 5 for most consistent
performance during drag strip use.
When the TCS/StabiliTrak button is
pressed again, the vehicle exits
PTM mode and the TCS and
StabiliTrak systems are on.
Use Mode 5 for the most consistent
performance during drag strip use.

8. T/C & STABILITRAK OFF

Here's the best video I've seen on explaining the driving modes:

So which mode do you guys drive in the most?
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
I play around with "tour" and "sport" when I'm just driving around the street. Usually I just keep it in "tour." However the different PTM modes definitely help out. PTM 1 (wet) does actually help when it's raining. I can tell a big difference in PTM 3, 4 & 5 on the track. I usually autocross in PTM 4 or 5, and let me tell you PTM 5 will let you lose it. For actual track days I usually use PTM 3, especially if I'm not familiar with the track. once I get more familiar I'll play with 4. The PTM on the track in 3 or 4 is very cool, it will regulate just the right amount of power to make sure you have maximum traction in turns. Here's one of my videos from a track day and you can hear in some turns the exhaust kicking in and out (for example 0:17-0:20) that is the ECU feathering power to maximize grip through the turns.

BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #3
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
I play around with "tour" and "sport" when I'm just driving around the street. Usually I just keep it in "tour." However the different PTM modes definitely help out. PTM 1 (wet) does actually help when it's raining. I can tell a big difference in PTM 3, 4 & 5 on the track. I usually autocross in PTM 4 or 5, and let me tell you PTM 5 will let you lose it. For actual track days I usually use PTM 3, especially if I'm not familiar with the track. once I get more familiar I'll play with 4. The PTM on the track in 3 or 4 is very cool, it will regulate just the right amount of power to make sure you have maximum traction in turns. Here's one of my videos from a track day and you can hear in some turns the exhaust kicking in and out (for example 0:17-0:20) that is the ECU feathering power to maximize grip through the turns.

Thanks for sharing.

I used PTM mode #3 at Streets of Willow CW last time out and I found it to be too restrictive around the corners....almost as if it was cutting power or torque....made it hard to have a fast corner exit speed.

It was my first time out on the track with the ZL1 so I didn't want to due something stupid. I just left it on PTM #3 but I think next time I'll move up to PTM #4 and she how the car handles.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:05 PM   #4
Ron_Robinson1

Drives: A Static line to a pack tray & ZL1
Send a message via AIM to Ron_Robinson1
Maybe I should mess around with the PTMs.

From my Z to my modded SS, everytime I start the car I hold down the buttons and turn of everything off.
SOLD-2011 SS M6: Blower, Cam, Alky, LTs.
Ron_Robinson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #5
rvnmaniac

Drives: 2012 M6 ZL1. 2019 Altima.07 FJR1300
I'm in sport mode probably 75% of the time..
rvnmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:20 PM   #6
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
I pretty much do the same as Baylor....
Old 03-09-2015, 02:33 PM   #7
ac223mal

Drives: car
Great topic...99% of the time Im in tour mode without any PTM selected.

But I have a question I've wanted to ask regarding this for a while. In watching one of the videos in the sticky, the PTM mode will reduce torque & horsepower depending on which mode is selected. So the question (if I can word it right) is; does the ZL1 have all available horsepower and torque available when none of the PTMs are selected? Or is all horsepower and torque only available in PTM5 (#7 in KaBooms list)?

Thanks...
ac223mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #8
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac223mal View Post
Great topic...99% of the time Im in tour mode without any PTM selected.

But I have a question I've wanted to ask regarding this for a while. In watching one of the videos in the sticky, the PTM mode will reduce torque & horsepower depending on which mode is selected. So the question (if I can word it right) is; does the ZL1 have all available horsepower and torque available when none of the PTMs are selected? Or is all horsepower and torque only available in PTM5 (#7 in KaBooms list)?

Thanks...
The power is always available, the car will detect certain circumstances and cut power. Everything is available only with the nannies off.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #9
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
With all the nannies turned off you have no intervening controls reducing power with regards to steering angle, traction, and yaw rate.

I usually run in PTM 3 on the street unless the wife is riding or the road is rough then its PTM 2 and on wet and rainy days I like PTM 1.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #10
ZL1Reaper

Drives: '13 Silver Ice Metallic ZL1
I drive in Sport mode all the time. In the occasions that I used PTM3 and/or 4, I felt like that car didn't have as much torque.
ZL1Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #11
unstable vic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Great thread
unstable vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #12
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZL1 View Post
Good topic, KaBoom1701, thanks for starting the discussion. My new ZL1 just passed the 1,500 mile break-in. Have used Tour mode on the street almost exclusively. It would be nice if GM/Chevy would give more detailed information and descriptions on what parameters are monitored and what & how outputs are controlled, and to what degree, with each PTM setting. Would like to see their detailed design criteria outlined, but I suspect it's regarded as their private IP (intellectual property) and their trade secret for now, until it is released, leaked, or reverse-engineered.

This past weekend, Sat & Sun, I instructed at a Chuckwalla Valley Raceway HPDE and had a few instructor sessions on track in PTM3. Agree with you KaBoom1701, I felt PTM3 limit engine output in the corners carrying thru to the corner exits. Doubt corner throttle steering and significant car rotation is available when PTM3 is selected. Once the steering was unwound and car headed down the straights the engine "perked" back up.

Next track day in three weeks, back at CVR, I will move up to PTM4 and perhaps PTM5 depending on how it goes. Not yet ready for all the nannies off while driving with "anger" on track, or maybe never, won't know until I can determine the pluses and minuses.
aZL1, you worded this perfectly!

This was phase 2 of this topic.

It would be interested to know what PTM3 vs. TPM4 does when it comes to reducing engine HP or Torq.

Even if we knew the % of HP or Torq. reduction it think it we be good to know.

Anyone here have any Chevy Camaro engineers connections?
Old 03-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #13
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I use PTM 5 a lot because I like the tighter steering.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:49 PM   #14
2011Black2SS

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
I usually keep the car on PTM 5. Never know when I will need it.
2011Black2SS is offline   Reply With Quote