Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 09-17-2015, 04:39 PM   #85
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge_Hammer View Post
So I will admit I am not a Camaro fan at all... Ive been a Mustang guy for decades having owned 15 over the years. Until the 14/15 1LE cars I didn't like the look much at all.

In looking at the 16 SS model and driving it I can say I hate the looks of the car totally. But love the weight savings and handling which weigh heavily for me. I can't get into the looks at all. I will be curious what the upcoming ZL1 will look like, spy shots seem promising.
Welcome to the forum! You were able to drive a 16 SS? I wouldn't buy a car that I didn't like. My car is my DD and I could care less about the weight, the car is awesome. For the people that track the cars, I'm sure it makes a difference.

As far as the new Z something, I agree
Old 09-19-2015, 07:57 PM   #86
MRREVINTO7

Drives: 14 1Le --14 chevy ss sedan 07shelby
Love the CAMARO SS 6 gen ..I would ditch the 1LE in a second for and SS with a8
MRREVINTO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:58 PM   #87
Iron Oak
Club Motorsports Track Op

Drives: STI, Land Rover and future 1LE
https://youtu.be/W9lI6OiIUe4

I assume everyone has seen the video of the 2017 Camaro 1LE at the Ring? The looks are really nice. The front is subtle, the rear has a duck tail spoiler versus the 3 point stanch spoiler on the SS which I DO NOT like at all. I think the performance number are going to be very nice. especially if they put the larger 6 piston front brakes on. The performance numbers are impressive for the SS but Chevy definitely left room for improvement. Some improved sways, wider wheels without runflats, some aero bits and bigger brakes would be a good start.
Attached Images

Iron Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:29 PM   #88
1leNPP

Drives: 1LE , 1SS , NPP
Now the 6gen 1LE there testing at the ring , That a GM car i would think about buying .There is one thing I see right off the bat is how did the car go from needing 3 radiator to now just having one radiator opening in the middle and none of the little ones on the side?
1leNPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:10 PM   #89
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
I don't buy on looks and here say, I like tech and fact info. So I think I would wait to see Randy Pobst behind the wheel. What if new SS with the magic MRC shocks isn't any faster then my 1LE. What if its a little faster so what, I can put on Stingray six piston brake calipers and brake later. I don't think the drastic weight savings is going to be there. I bet my 1SS 1LE is almost as light, plus it also matters how big the person driving it is. With the CAI and hi-flow cat I bet power is real close also.

If the new camaro is dimensionally like the ATS and new mustang its going to be smaller inside, tall guys don't do small.

If a base model is $37k and MRC etc puts it at $40k, Then a future 1LE is additional $3500 that is $45k, almost $10k more then my current 1LE.

Best Bang for the Buck currently.
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #90
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1SS1LE View Post
I don't buy on looks and here say, I like tech and fact info. So I think I would wait to see Randy Pobst behind the wheel. What if new SS with the magic MRC shocks isn't any faster then my 1LE. What if its a little faster so what, I can put on Stingray six piston brake calipers and brake later. I don't think the drastic weight savings is going to be there. I bet my 1SS 1LE is almost as light, plus it also matters how big the person driving it is. With the CAI and hi-flow cat I bet power is real close also.

If the new camaro is dimensionally like the ATS and new mustang its going to be smaller inside, tall guys don't do small.

If a base model is $37k and MRC etc puts it at $40k, Then a future 1LE is additional $3500 that is $45k, almost $10k more then my current 1LE.

Best Bang for the Buck currently.
The exact weights are already announced by GM. The difference is huge!

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2016-ch...ghts-revealed/

'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #91
Iron Oak

And the chassis itself is 28% stiffer. That is also huge!
Old 09-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #92
Hilflos

Drives: 2015 1SS / RS NPP
No question the weight savings and horsepower improvements are significant. The raw numbers on the SS's performance are what folks have modded gen5's in order to achieve.

Are they sufficient reason to switch up from a fifth gen 1LE to a 6th gen SS? Longtube headers all by themselves could go a long way toward addressing the power differential. Weight savings will be more problematic, of course, but a certain number of relatively common mods will do a little to address that. Longtubes being lighter than the stock exhaust manifolds are a decent example there, too.

There was a post in another subforum recently which linked to a weight savings vs. power addition article, that had some interesting things to say on the subject.

No question that the gen6 will be a better stock platform, and therefore a better platform to modify. Is it enough better to justify a switch from a late model gen5, particularly a 1LE, even more so a 1LE that's been modded at all?

X25, you and Dropspeed, having done the Z/28 upgrades make particularly fine examples of the larger point. Would a Gen6 1LE, stock, approach the performance you have at your disposal currently? Equal or surpass it? Be more reliable? Have better heat dissipation?

Obviously a theoretical question, currently. Will it make more sense in the 2017 model year, supposing the leaked pics we've seen are of the gen6 1LE and it is slated for 2017?

Not advising anyone take any particular approach here, just spitballing. Each of us will probably have a different answer based on our own needs, wants, and perceptions.

Want the absolute best currently* available Camaro stock? Gen6 is the answer. It will out perform the current Gen5's. Want the best currently available platform to mod from? Probably going to be the Gen6 there also. Better starting point means an equivalent value in mods will get you to a better endpoint, of course.

Got a gen5 SS or 1LE that's been modded, does the performance difference inherent in the gen6 mean you should jump ship? That's a whole lot more subjective, and has a whole host of different variables to evaluate. Certainly there's a bunch of SS's owned by folks on this forum, that will be pretty close to, if not better than, what the gen6 SS can produce when it rolls off the line.

Personally, having bought a very late in gen5 SS, I've no regrets. I bought the right car for me, at the right time, fully cognizant of the gen6's imminent arrival. I look at the gen6's performance numbers as something to shoot for or exceed as I move on down my planned mod path. There's going to be better performing gen5's than mine on this forum. There'll be better performing gen6's. This car will probably be capable of more than I am when I'm "finished" modding it. It will be fun, it will have far more performance than I require on the street. For me, that's enough, for now.

*Current, for purposes of this discussion, being defined as available during this calendar year
Hilflos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:11 AM   #93
rodknee
amidst a mid-life crisis

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Oak View Post
https://youtu.be/W9lI6OiIUe4

I assume everyone has seen the video of the 2017 Camaro 1LE at the Ring?
how do we know that is really a 1le package? sure it has the wheelset, we really dont know what it is or when/if it will be offered for sale (unless someone can prove me wrong).

i am on the ledge, ready to jump on a 5g 1le. if they came out with one for 16 or even 17, i will most likely have regretted the purchase. ARGH....
rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:52 PM   #94
Iron Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodknee View Post
how do we know that is really a 1le package? sure it has the wheelset, we really dont know what it is or when/if it will be offered for sale (unless someone can prove me wrong).

i am on the ledge, ready to jump on a 5g 1le. if they came out with one for 16 or even 17, i will most likely have regretted the purchase. ARGH....
You're right, we don't know for sure that this is the 1LE. It's an educated guess. It has subtle differences appearance wise. Obviously the rims, but that doesn't mean much. It's a manual transmission and it sounds like the same LT1 used in the SS.

Another option is it could be the Z28 and they may not even offer the 1LE. ( but to me, it better aligns with a 1LE, based on what we can see and hear) We are simply speculating at this point. Hopefully we will have some clarification in the coming months.