Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-22-2016, 10:01 PM   #1
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
Need final opinions, get the GM CAI or not?

So I'm hearing mixed emotions.... Here is my dilemma,

I have a GM certificate. I can either get the CAI, or I can not get it, and sell that portion on top of whatever is left over. Just because the certificate is in play, doesn't mean I want to "spend" the money on a CAI, if it's truly not going to be beneficial at all, rather make some extra cash..

I'd like everyones thoughts.
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:46 PM   #2
keysersoze

Drives: 16 Camaro
What else would you spend the cert on? if you want extra stuff don't get the CAI. Only get the CAI with the expectation that is a purely visual and sound changing mod.
keysersoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:33 AM   #3
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Buy it.
MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:18 AM   #4
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Unless there is something else you like better- I'd say use the certificate on the CAI. Whether it gives more performance or not - it looks a lot better than the stock air box and will give your under hood appearance a nice boost. Lord knows our LT1 engine bays need all the help they can get in the looks department.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #5
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I vote no. This is probably an appearance item at best, and one you only see with the hood open.

More man-hours and bench testing probably went into the stock intake anyway. If the numbers justified the CAI, why would they not advertise them? And if 5-10 HP were really just "there for the taking," why would GM not do that for the stock intake?

The other thing to consider is filter efficiency and engine wear. You need used oil analysis on various filters to see what filter "upgrades" might be doing to your engine. Some "performance" filters will pass larger particulates that accelerate engine wear.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
It might look cool, but so far NO intake replacement has proven to give much of a HP boost for the V8. The Chevy one is built by Cold Air Inductions, which is a good aftermarket company.

Since it looks cool and you are getting it sort of for free why not? And while you are at it plug up the sound tube hole and get rid of that awful moaning sound you get stock. Better intake sound is a plus!
Old 09-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
It's free but i could also sell the unused portion of the certificate and make some money for a car payment. While not needed, never hurts to have one month covered for free. Which i think is the route I might take.
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #8
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
JDP Motorsports is a very reputable tuner, who tested the Roto-fab CAI vs. Stock. That test showed an honest 12 HP gain! If you're looking for a CAI that makes power, the Roto-fab system is definitely worth looking in to.

Roto-fab CAI vs. Stock, testing done by JDP Motorsports

Heartbeat S/C Camaro SS, Roto-fab CAI vs. Stock. Testing done by Davenport Motorsports

Roto-fab installed, dry filter, red logo, sound tube delete option.

PM me if you have any CAI related questions. I would be glad to help any time!
Michael
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:47 PM   #9
bbrown450

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS
My man....if you want an opinion on wether or not it is a wise investment isolate your question to those that have had them on this an other cars.
I had the Haltech Killer Bee on my C7 and also the Mishi on my G6.(until it threw codes)
Currently I am in between what my next move is on the CAI.
What I will tell you that you will experience is perceivably better throttle response, a tad better gas mileage and a whole lot of low end guttural wail when you stomp it. There is always the "Banter" between those that dwell in the theoretical. Every manufacturer of a CAI that I have installed has copious data to show that there is a significant HP increase, and there is always the nay Sayers that dispute it under the same amount of skepticism. If noise makes you smile ...Amd I assume it does most will give you a residual everytime you step on it. All the best
bbrown450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:54 PM   #10
bbrown450

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS
CAI

My man....if you want an opinion on wether or not it is a wise investment isolate your question to those that have had them on this an other cars.
I had the Haltech Killer Bee on my C7 and also the Mishi on my G6.(until it threw codes)
Currently I am in between what my next move is on the CAI.
What I will tell you that you will experience is perceivably better throttle response, a tad better gas mileage and a whole lot of low end guttural wail when you stomp it. There is always the "Banter" between those that dwell in the theoretical. Every manufacturer of a CAI that I have installed has copious data to show that there is a significant HP increase, and there is always the nay Sayers that dispute it under the same amount of skepticism. If noise makes you smile ...And I assume it does most will give you a residual everytime you step on it.
To wit...with what we have under the hood ...what difference does it make what it's contribution to the total HP number is unless you race...to me ...it has always been worth the investment to hear what noise the beast makes when you kick it.
At the end of the day .. I have always yanked it and sold it when I sold the car.

All the best
bbrown450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:19 PM   #11
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Gotta remember that the ECU needs time to compensate for new parts. You can't just swap a part on and test it right away on the dyno. You gotta drive it around for a couple days or so and with a number of cold starts.

Too many times already we've heard people say certain initial behaviors from throttle response or power is gone back to stock behavior after a few days.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote