Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #43
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfeola View Post
I always ride with my hand on the shifter. Of course, I only got 274,369 miles out of the M5 in the 2001 BMW X5 I just traded in on my Summit White 1LT 6M 'vert. YMMV

Cjf
Wow the X5 was available with a real manual transmission at one time? Oh yeah, that's back when BMW was BMW.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:38 PM   #44
Zap city

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE, MN6, SGM
The first year C6 vettes were required to park in reverse. They corrected this in 2006. This may be the origin of the myth?
Zap city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:20 PM   #45
Oil Man

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2018 ZL1 A10 (RIPx2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickswe View Post
It's actually funny that this need to be discussed. Everyone should know that you park the car in either 1st or reverse and apply your park brake for redundancy.

If parking in slope you also turn the front wheels towards the curb.

It's not rocket science really 😂

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I've been driving nothing but manual transmissions for 20 years. You park it in gear whether or not you use the parking brake.
And this.

I will park my car for a short stop somewhere (gas station, convenience store) in gear, with no parking brake. But if I tried to park my car and get out with only the parking brake set and the shifter in Neutral, that little voice in the back of my head would be screaming at me that I was wrong.
Oil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:24 AM   #46
MarkHarp69

Drives: 2016 V6 6-Speed
After struggling with dead batteries and trickle chargers for several years, my dealer finally told me to put the car in Reverse when parking. He said the car draws current in first but not in reverse -- and he had the numbers to back that up. I couldn't believe it so I checked the Owner's Manual. Sure enough, you're told to put it in reverse (no explanation however). I get the 2016 back later this week. We'll see what happens.
MarkHarp69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:29 AM   #47
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
I was always told to leave my C6 Corvettes in reverse so I guess I just do it out of habit.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:49 AM   #48
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroky View Post
I've seen a few posts here about batteries being dead, and was wondering if it's in a majority of the M6.

When I got my M6 SS the dealer told me to put it in reverse when ever I parked it. Reason being is that when the shifter is in reverse, that it shuts down more of the electronics in the car.

Has anyone else been told this? Or is the dealer just
Pretty sure first gear is quite sufficient. Put it in first and the wheels won't even turn if someone tries to tow it. The tires will scuff the pavement and not turn. And I have no clue about these electronics shut downs he is talking about. Call him back and ask him for details.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:51 AM   #49
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydmc View Post
whoa... i would never leave it in neutral and rely on the e-brake alone. I'm not sure what your concern would be if the wheels turn the transmission (and engine)... this is normal load on the tranny.. unless someone smashes into your car, then you have bigger issues anyway
Never trust the E-brake as a primary.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:53 AM   #50
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipNWis View Post
I read they other day riding with you hand on the shifter isn't a good thing? I seems to always have my hand resting on the shifter ?? What's your Take on this ????
Yep...back in the day it could eventually help wear out the synchros, but I was under the understanding that that issue has been eliminated. Someone please confirm.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:17 PM   #51
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I put my ZL1 and truck in 1st gear when parking on level ground and parking on a hill or incline. When parking going down a hill I put the shifter in Reverse. I learned years ago about leaving my car in neutral with the parking brake on on my level driveway. Overnight my 1982 Camaro Z28 had rolled slowly backwards during the night almost in the street. I was shocked to see it almost in the street when going out the backdoor to go to work that morning. I must have not pulled the brake lever up enough to lock it.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:36 PM   #52
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
I am interested in the concept of the dealer stating putting it in reverse helps keep the battery from draining. I dont see how. But I am concerned as my vert is sitting in the level driveway in neutral with a cover on it for a few weeks already. I would leave it in gear but my wife is not accustomed to that yet. The drive is level and we park just behind an unlevel expansion joint. The car would never roll towards the street. But if left in reverse and she gets in and starts it up and releases the clutch the distance to the brick wall is less than 3 feet. So... it might take time to get to leaving it there in reverse.
But shes a great driver so in time. only have 500 miles on the car.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:52 PM   #53
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I would park it in 1st gear if I were you! I have never heard anything like what the dealer told you. Your wife could get adjusted to it being started in gear. Before she starts it, she could put it in neutral and then start the car. I have done that before especially letting it idle to warmup the engine. No biggee you know!
Old 02-10-2021, 01:54 PM   #54
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I was taught no matter auto or manual you first set the P brake then put the auto in Park or the manual in gear. I was told you don't want the car resting on the drive gears in the transmission so always put it in park first.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #55
Rhobz

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Well, how about that?!?!
Attached Images

Rhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:13 PM   #56
KenMaro

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS manual
All this talk made me look up the 2019 info. 2019 model year instructions say 1st gear or Reverse for parking. Shift into 1st or R, set parking brake, turn off ignition. Those steps have been a habit since I started driving 30 years ago, nice to know that some habits are good habits!

As many others have already stated, I have always used either 1st or Reverse (if I was facing downhill on an incline).
KenMaro is offline   Reply With Quote