Phastek Performance

Old 10-31-2017, 04:23 PM   #1
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
DSSV Lowering and Handling Upgrade System

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...-TRANS-AM.html
Also (Just saw this) http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512108
CHEVROLET CAMARO SS TRANS AM TA4-SPEC RACE CAR

TODD NAPIERALSKI’S CAMARO RUNS AT THE FRONT OF THE FIELD WITH CHEVROLET PERFORMANCE ZL1 1LE PARTS

2017-10-30

For more than 50 years, SCCA Trans Am has pitted production-based race cars in one of motorsports’ most exciting and enduring road-racing series. One of the standout competitors today is Todd Napieralski, who drives this Camaro SS racecar in the Trans Am TA4 class. He drove it to a second-place finish at Road America last year, in its first outing.

Part of Napieralski’s competitive edge with the Camaro comes from ZL1 1LE chassis and suspension components that enhance the car’s road-holding and handling capabilities. When built last year with the cooperation of Chevrolet Performance and Total Performance Racing, the ZL1 1LE components were mostly concept parts, but they have been incorporated in the production Camaro ZL1 1LE and many are available for purchase from Chevrolet Performance. That means any racer with a Gen Six Camaro SS can use them to build a more competitive racecar.

CAMARO SS PRODUCTION COMPONENTS

LT1 6.2L V-8 engine
Six-speed manual transmission
Brembo performance brakes
Limited-slip differential

CHEVROLET PERFORMANCE PARTS
ZL1 1LE-Spec Multimatic DSSV® Lowering and Handling Suspension Upgrade System (P/N 84352121) — Forged on the track and developed for the track-capable ZL1 1LE, this suspension system features Multimatic DSSV® dampers, combined with front and rear coil springs, and a ZL1 1LE-spec front sway bar. Ride height is reduced by up to 10mm and the system offers a 22 percent decrease in roll gradient, as well as a 245 percent increase in front spring stiffness. The front ride height is also adjustable for corner weighting and track use, with the ability to quickly switch from street to track camber settings.

ZL1 1LE-Spec Suspension Upgrade System (P/N 84352119) — This kit complements the ZL1 1LE-Spec Multimatic Lowering and Handling Suspension Upgrade System (P/N 84352121). This off-road-only, track-tested system offers racers front ride links, front handling links, rear upper and lower trailing links and rear knuckles, as well as stiffer bushings and ball joints to reduce suspension flex. Compared to the Camaro SS, the upper and lower trailing links are 71 percent stiffer, while the rear link inner bushings are 58 percent stiffer. There’s also a 4 percent reduction in roll gradient in addition to 1LE Spec Multimatic Lowering and Handling Suspension Upgrade System enhancement.

ZL1-spec solid-mounted rear cradle mounts — These mounts help reduce deflection in the rear suspension, for enhanced stability and more direct handling.

ZL1 rear spoiler — This aggressive ZL1-style spoiler kit can reduce vehicle lift on the track for Camaro LS, LT and SS models when used with the Camaro SS accessory ground effects or front splitter package.

ZL1 1LE CONCEPT PARTS
ZL1 1LE front fascia and front fenders
ZL1 1LE grille
Front splitter and dive planes
ZL1 extractor hood

Last edited by glenB; 10-31-2017 at 06:40 PM. Reason: easier reading added link
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Great find! I'm excited (maybe) to see the cost on these packages and if they will come with a code to tune out MRC for MRC equipped cars. Looks like they'll offer an "off road only" kit as well. It's nice to see part numbers at least.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:38 PM   #3
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
woot! you sir, made my day ..thanks a lot I have been wondering if they would ever offer this as a kit and created this thread to seek answers.
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508181

Hopefully, I will also find some sort of simulator to trick the MRCs..
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:30 PM   #4
glenB

245% stiffer front spring ----- ouch

Who's the math genius that can crunch the numbers?
Old 10-31-2017, 05:35 PM   #5
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
245% stiffer front spring ----- ouch

Who's the math genius that can crunch the numbers?
If the ZL1 FE4 front springs are the same as SS 1LE FE4 springs, the effective spring rate would be 436.1 lbs/in (OEM is 178).
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
glenB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
If the ZL1 FE4 front springs are the same as SS 1LE FE4 springs, the effective spring rate would be 436.1 lbs/in (OEM is 178).
Thanks

That's gotta rattle some fillings on public roads. I've watched vids and the drivers have been bounced around pretty good but really couldn't tell whether it was front or rear that caused most of the roughness.

Eibach lists specs as

1LE Fr177 Rr 497

ZL1 Fr 171 Rr 531
Old 10-31-2017, 06:18 PM   #7
5senna5

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
KW will sell their MRC defeat kit as a standalone product. I think it’s about $350-400 if I remember correctly. I would imagine Chevy will have a warranty op-code with the DSSV kit to have dealers switch off MRC with a scan tool on cars that came equipped with it.
5senna5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:29 PM   #8
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Stiffer springs don't *always* translate to rougher ride, if you have shocks that can handle that kind of input and dampen it properly, it's really not that bad.

My old car was an RS4 with STasis/Ohlins coilovers. Both front and rear springs were double the OEM rate, but with the dampening, it was actually not that bad at all and totally livable as a DD.

However, I have seen a few videos now where the ZLE 1LE seems to throw you around in the seat way more than I would like in a DD. Would be fun for a track focused car, though.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:38 PM   #9
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
I thought the comparisons they were making (% increase in stiffness) were to the standard SS suspension. I miss that be misinterpreting the article though.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:50 PM   #10
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5senna5 View Post
KW will sell their MRC defeat kit as a standalone product. I think it’s about $350-400 if I remember correctly. I would imagine Chevy will have a warranty op-code with the DSSV kit to have dealers switch off MRC with a scan tool on cars that came equipped with it.
This would be ideal for them as well. If you think about it the only V8 model that doesn't come with the MRC is some base Camaro SS models and V6 cars. With some sort of factory flash these would sell a lot more.

KW V3 comes with both non-MRC and MRC option and LG has some simulators for the Corvettes so hopefully aftermarket solution will be available if GM doesn't offer one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
Stiffer springs don't *always* translate to rougher ride, if you have shocks that can handle that kind of input and dampen it properly, it's really not that bad.

My old car was an RS4 with STasis/Ohlins coilovers. Both front and rear springs were double the OEM rate, but with the dampening, it was actually not that bad at all and totally livable as a DD.

However, I have seen a few videos now where the ZLE 1LE seems to throw you around in the seat way more than I would like in a DD. Would be fun for a track focused car, though.
Exactly I was also very happy with my 10k Ohlins and my friend's miata with 12k coilovers are also not too bad. I also sat in a 5th Gen Camaro with DSSV
suspension, ride didn't bother me at all it was pretty good actually. MRC sure would be better for every day use who are not concerned with the ultimate track performance.
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:49 PM   #11
glenB

Regarding the spring rate, this is a coilover spring so there is some conversion to do to compare it to the OEM spring, it's my understanding that it's not a 1 to 1 comparison.

But in those vids the driver is bouncing around pretty good.... maybe I'm just getting older. Don't want soft, but not a belly buster either
Old 10-31-2017, 09:55 PM   #12
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Regarding the spring rate, this is a coilover spring so there is some conversion to do to compare it to the OEM spring, it's my understanding that it's not a 1 to 1 comparison.

But in those vids the driver is bouncing around pretty good.... maybe I'm just getting older. Don't want soft, but not a belly buster either
Given the same mounting points and angles, spring rate versus spring rates are apples to apples. If they're comparing it to standard FE3 SS suspension, the effective spring rate would be 335.65 lbs/in.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:35 AM   #13
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I've ridden in a 6th gen with DSSVs, it's a rough ride for sure.
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:24 AM   #14
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
CHEVROLET PERFORMANCE PARTS
ZL1 1LE-Spec Multimatic DSSV® Lowering and Handling Suspension Upgrade System (P/N 84352121) — Forged on the track and developed for the track-capable ZL1 1LE, this suspension system features Multimatic DSSV® dampers, combined with front and rear coil springs, and a ZL1 1LE-spec front sway bar. Ride height is reduced by up to 10mm and the system offers a 22 percent decrease in roll gradient, as well as a 245 percent increase in front spring stiffness. The front ride height is also adjustable for corner weighting and track use, with the ability to quickly switch from street to track camber settings.

ZL1 1LE-Spec Suspension Upgrade System (P/N 84352119) — This kit complements the ZL1 1LE-Spec Multimatic Lowering and Handling Suspension Upgrade System (P/N 84352121). This off-road-only, track-tested system offers racers front ride links, front handling links, rear upper and lower trailing links and rear knuckles, as well as stiffer bushings and ball joints to reduce suspension flex. Compared to the Camaro SS, the upper and lower trailing links are 71 percent stiffer, while the rear link inner bushings are 58 percent stiffer. There’s also a 4 percent reduction in roll gradient in addition to 1LE Spec Multimatic Lowering and Handling Suspension Upgrade System enhancement.
Excellent! Now we just need pricing.

The 2nd kit would be a good option for us keeping the MRC, to firm up the bushings. I'm interested to see what's different with the rear knuckles.