Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 11-21-2017, 10:14 PM   #29
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Ok guys, so I’m from a family of car nuts… and my dad, the car nut patriarch sold his ’16 Porsche GT4 last month and purchased a ZL1 1LE this past week. His experience driving my SS 1LE on both street and track prompted his decision. We drove out to Southeast Iowa last Friday and took delivery of his ZL1. We took turns driving the Zl1 on the way home to Southern Indiana from Iowa 460 miles in all.
A few quick impressions:
• I’ve been around a number of ZL1 1LE’s, I saw the development cars at NCM early in the summer and saw a few production cars at Camarofest as well. Seeing one for the first time in a few months though, the aero is just insane as are the wheel/tires. How GM is able to get such crazy offsets through to production is astonishing. The Zl1 1LE attracts attention on the road unlike any car I’ve driven, granted- it does look like an IMSA racer going down the interstate.
Yes, the ride is firm and busy. However, I feel like the ride has been blown out of proportion by ZL1-1LE owners who didn’t fully understand what they were getting themselves into. When a manufacturer hard mounts suspension to the body… don’t expect there to not be tradeoffs. While the ride is busy (as a result of hard mounted suspension, not damper tuning) - in that you feel every expansion joint, seam, change in pavement…. It isn’t harsh. And like a good race damper, big impacts are surprisingly plush. Again, I’m not saying the ride isn’t rough, but Multimatic did a good job of tuning out harshness. Big impacts are felt, but the dampers do a great job of smoothing out brittle rough impacts. While not nearly as daily driver friendly as the SS 1LE, it is still is just fine for around town use (for us fairly hardcore sports car guys). Yes, I hit my head on the ceiling 1x on the trip home over a big dip in the road (not a bump).
• That engine and transmission. WOAH. We still haven’t ventured past 4k rpm (break-in), but just wow. The LT4 @ 2500rpm feels about as stout as my SS at full song. The gearing is also just insane. The ZL1-1LE at 80mph in 6th gear is turning 2500rpm…. Downshifting is NEVER required for any passing maneuvers. I can’t wait to experience this gearbox on track, it was the biggest surprise for me. Drops from shifts are like 500-700rpm. 1st and 2nd gear are longer than the SS, but 3-6 are just stacked on top of each other thereafter. Clutch/shifter feels exactly the same as my SS
• The tires do not like sub 50f temps, there is no rear grip in 1-3 gears at these temps (mid-low 40’s). They aren’t crazy noisy on the interstate, we did hit some rain and thankfully they didn’t hydroplane. The G3R’s look and feel a lot like Trofeo R’s, much more aggressive than any other 100 treadwear tire I’ve driven on the street. I’ll reserve judgement until next month when we have our first track outing.
• Interior is very familiar but great. The 2ss/ZL1 trim makes for a nicer cabin feel with the additional alcantara, and the heated/cooled seats work very well. The red stitching and belts are a cool touch. The Bose stereo is much better than our cars.
Overall, Dad and I are both completely blown away by the ZL1 and he is ecstatic with his purchase. It will see daily use for the next couple weeks as we try and put break-in mile on it prior to use at VIR later this month. I’ll post some additional thoughts after driving it at VIR next month back to back with my SS 1LE. Also, important to note… after driving from Iowa in the ZL1, I was worried my car might feel a bit soft and slow. My concern was quickly assuaged, the SS 1LE still feels like a monster…. Just not the biggest monster in the family now!
Here are some pics:
I'm glad to hear someone say this....(in bold)

honestly, in a LT FE2 suspension car, I have hit my head on the roof over some decent dips locally as well. I chalk it up to the road more than the super soft suspension, considering reading what you wrote as well.

also, I figured to a degree...prob higher now with your review, that most were over exaggerating the harshness of the suspension. or more so for those who have dealt with a suspension the consisted more of just springs and maybe a strut change. I couldn't imagine it being FAR worse than a decent set of coilovers with adjustable dampers as many have basically made it seem like a flintstone car in harshness levels.

def enjoy both!

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #30
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
I thought this would be the best spot to give a quick update after taking both 1LE's to VIR this past weekend with my Dad, brother, and a good friend from Phoenix who flew in for the event.

First off- the ZL1 1LE is an absolute MONSTER. I've never driven a street car on track that feels like a race car... until now. The chassis, power, brakes, gearing & aero truly make it feel like a street legal GT4 racer. That being said, like a race car- to get the most from it... it requires a steady, confident, and committed driver. The body control is simply amazing. The tires are a bit of a mixed bag for me. The 3R's offer better grip than any other 100 treadwear trackday tire than I've ever driven (NT01/R888), however- I'm not a big fan of their breakaway characteristics- they are a bit too snappy and not elastic like an NT01 (or even DH P-Zero Slick). That being said- when they grip, they GRIP. I also was impressed with the wear, over a 3 day double stinted in both the instructor and advanced run group, plus 1200 street miles also, they still have another 3 day event worth of rubber on them. Though VIR is shockingly easy on tires with the new pavement. We ran a little more aggressive alignment than the GM supplement recommends.

Here's a lap of my older brother setting the best time for the weekend in the 2nd ever track session the ZL1 had seen! Its a bit of a scrappy lap, but indicates the car's potential. I wish traffic had cooperated better on Saturday and Sunday, had multiple 1:58's indicated but traffic happened.

Here's a few laps of me driving last session on Sunday. Nothing special, but helps illustrate multiple lap pace. I came on track a little late as the front of the instructor group was taking the green flag! Lots of traffic to start the lap.

Lastly- I'm very glad to inform you that even with the nuclear grade weaponry of the ZL1 1LE on hand, my SS 1LE still felt damn... damn special. The N/A motor sounds just nuts, while the chassis lacks the ultimate control of the ZL1 1LE, it also soaks up the climbing esses like it is out for a Sunday drive. I've never been more impressed with the SS 1LE. On P-Zero DH take-off slicks... I didn't want to get out of the car, it was so much fun.

Our friend from Phoenix flew in and drove with us at VIR. He has a well prepped 2008 base Porsche Cayman. After his 2nd session on Friday in the SS 1LE, his exact words were: "well, the Cayman is for sale. How is this possible for $43k?!?" He was completely blown away by the SS 1LE and started his search for black 2017 SS 1LE.

My best SS 1LE lap on RE71R street tires (2:05.88)

My best SS 1LE lap on P-Zero DH take-off's (2:02.62)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
I'm glad to hear someone say this....(in bold)

honestly, in a LT FE2 suspension car, I have hit my head on the roof over some decent dips locally as well. I chalk it up to the road more than the super soft suspension, considering reading what you wrote as well.

also, I figured to a degree...prob higher now with your review, that most were over exaggerating the harshness of the suspension. or more so for those who have dealt with a suspension the consisted more of just springs and maybe a strut change. I couldn't imagine it being FAR worse than a decent set of coilovers with adjustable dampers as many have basically made it seem like a flintstone car in harshness levels.

def enjoy both!
Agreed!
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #31
RXtacy

Drives: 93 RX-7, 17 SS 1LE, 04 RX-8
Looks like a blast! Sad I couldn't make it down, but the 9 hr round trip just wasn't in the cards
RXtacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #32
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
I drove home in my ZL1 1LE a few days ago and thought the same thing with the suspension. While cruising on the freeway it doesn't feel too much stiffer than the SS1LE in track mode. The big change is at slower speeds when you really feel the hard mounts. I rolled up to a few lights on crappy tarmac and the car was shaking all over the place, but the 60 miles home on the freeway was actually quite comfortable. I haven't driven it since, I fear this 1500mile break-in will be awhile.

Congrats to you and your dad on the amazing car, perhaps I will post up a pick our family stable.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:21 AM   #33
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Provoste - thanks for posting all the vids and giving a great review. Much appreciated!

Sean - now that's a surprise

Edit: is still blows my mind that your SS on slicks is pretty damn close...also its transitions seem smoother. How did you find the handling differences between it and the ZL1 1LE?

Last edited by TrackClub; 11-23-2017 at 01:39 AM.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #34
SaphfireSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE SS
Nice buy brother. I'm sure you and your family are loving it. Bet you're like me and wish we would have held out just a bit longer? Lmao
SaphfireSS is offline   Reply With Quote