Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-02-2017, 12:00 PM   #15
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomiboy View Post
Sounds like something as simple as a paper gasket would stop the galvanic corrosion
For light driving, yeah I had the same though. That or a thin sheet of plastic or something. But, I'd think it'd become problematic when you get high temps during hard braking. I was also thinking of some 0.005" shim stock of some metal that would be less reactive with the steel and aluminum if such a metal exists. Or, some kind of coating on a metal sheet to keep the corrosion from happening and is durable enough not to get damaged when used. I could be completely wrong, but if I ever get the noise on mine I'll experiment with it
Old 08-02-2017, 12:09 PM   #16
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
For light driving, yeah I had the same though. That or a thin sheet of plastic or something. But, I'd think it'd become problematic when you get high temps during hard braking. I was also thinking of some 0.005" shim stock of some metal that would be less reactive with the steel and aluminum if such a metal exists. Or, some kind of coating on a metal sheet to keep the corrosion from happening and is durable enough not to get damaged when used. I could be completely wrong, but if I ever get the noise on mine I'll experiment with it
It exists, it called Tef-gel...used it a ton on boats:

http://www.tefgel.com/contain.php?param=tefgel_infor
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #17
Tomiboy

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
sounds like teflon pipe dope used by plumbers!

https://www.staples.com/RECTORSEAL-T...xoCuuEQAvD_BwE
Tomiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:06 AM   #18
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
I didn't have this noise until I installed spacers on the rear wheels. Bah

Last edited by WhyUMad1LE; 08-03-2017 at 02:19 AM.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #19
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Check your owners manual, On my Gen 5, the owners manual specifically states to clean the mating surfaces and add a light coating of grease to the wheel hub area, not the flat mating surface but the raised "register" that centers the wheel. I use CRC brake lubricant.cWhile I have lubed the mating surfaces of my other vehicles (that see all weather duty) I do not on my Camaro. Lug studs are not to be lubricated.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #20
SaphfireSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
Check your owners manual, On my Gen 5, the owners manual specifically states to clean the mating surfaces and add a light coating of grease to the wheel hub area, not the flat mating surface but the raised "register" that centers the wheel. I use CRC brake lubricant.cWhile I have lubed the mating surfaces of my other vehicles (that see all weather duty) I do not on my Camaro. Lug studs are not to be lubricated.
I completely agree with that statement. Wheel lugs are not to be lubricated. And there is a definite reason for that.
SaphfireSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #21
SaphfireSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE SS
I have kept my lugs properly torqued and never had the issue again after I heard about it. I now have 16k miles on my car. Just FYI.
SaphfireSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:06 PM   #22
RedDragonSS2.0

Drives: 2017 Summit White Camaro SS 1LE
I just noticed this same ticking on my front driver side wheel, when making right hand turns starts to click, first time I pulled over to see what was up thought something was loose.

OP has your fix held up?

Rotofab Intake, Borla 60606 Midpipes, Corsa Extreme Axleback
RedDragonSS2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:17 AM   #23
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:

I couldn't say why this doesn't happen on all cars, though. Maybe has something to do with the wheel/rotor coating process variations?
That's Part of it, but is truly based in the types of dissimilar metals, (ie grade of aluminum and grade/type of Steel) and the working environment.

I doubt most performance guys are driving their Gen6 in the Sleet and Mud for extended periods without servicing them. Plus, The higher the salt/moisture content the added galvanic corrosion.

But you have a good grasp of things than most ppl.
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:26 AM   #24
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
You need to insulate the electric charge between the two dissimilar metals. A metal shim might act as a sacrificial anode but you'll still have the galvanic corrosion(i.e. voltage).

There are Industrial Coasting used in Turbines and other Industries that address galvanic corrosion.

Painting or coating the rotors' hubs is the easier and most efficient way to insulate them from galvanic corrosion.
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:37 AM   #25
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragonSS2.0 View Post
I just noticed this same ticking on my front driver side wheel, when making right hand turns starts to click, first time I pulled over to see what was up thought something was loose.

OP has your fix held up?
Yes still going strong! Had another AutoX this weekend and still no hint of clicking.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #26
bub

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE & '15 Corvette Z06
Had been waiting for mjk3888's update before performing myself. Now just need to "get 'er done!"...
bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:51 PM   #27
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
FYI the rotor hub is Aluminum and the wheels are aluminum no dissimilar metals there.

Here is the mating surface of the front wheels, mine had grease on the inside chamfer from the factory I reapplied grease there as well. Make sure to recheck torque of your lug nuts after some miles.

Also notice the asymmetric pocketing which is interesting...

thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:49 AM   #28
sheitz630

Drives: 2016 2ss Camaro
This is really helpful; going to give this a shot this weekend.
sheitz630 is offline   Reply With Quote