Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #1
guitarman8373

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro fully loaded.
Question 2018 Nav System Map Update Question.

So I checked my mailbox today and got a letter telling me how to purchase the supposed 2018 map update for my 2016 Camaro Nav System. $139.99 ($20 off) if ordered by Dec 31 it proclaimed and free shipping.

1. $50k car, only a year and some change old, and now they want to charge me for a map update? Don't most manufactures offer map updates for at least a little longer out than that?

2. Is the map update even worth it if I don't plan on driving all over the USA or more? I love my nav system but usually just use it for finding spots in my area or local state.

3. Wouldn't I end up taking the car to the dealer anyway to get this update done? I don't see how it could possibly be done myself, unless they plan on shipping me a USB thumb drive with the update.

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-24-2017, 05:15 PM   #2
contax

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL-1 (A10) / 17 Charger
I also have an Acura and BMW and haven't seen free updates..Maybe I missed something. Try Android Auto and Waze. Sorry iPeople.
contax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Got the update message in the mail today , too much $ for me.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:53 PM   #4
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
I know of no free updates in the auto world. Personally about every 4 or 5 years is enough as let’s face it there aren’t that many new roads.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:55 PM   #5
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman8373 View Post
So I checked my mailbox today and got a letter telling me how to purchase the supposed 2018 map update for my 2016 Camaro Nav System. $139.99 ($20 off) if ordered by Dec 31 it proclaimed and free shipping.

1. $50k car, only a year and some change old, and now they want to charge me for a map update? Don't most manufactures offer map updates for at least a little longer out than that?
No, few if any manufacturers offer "free" map updates for factory systems.

Quote:
2. Is the map update even worth it if I don't plan on driving all over the USA or more? I love my nav system but usually just use it for finding spots in my area or local state.
That is something only you can decide.
I don't have NAV in our Camaro, but I do have the factory NAV system on my Harley.
I won't be spending the $159.00 they want for an update.

Your current map will work just fine for years to come.
But if you live in an area with lots of new road construction, you might want to get an update every few years.

Not a lot has changed in our area, so my 3 year old map is still good enough for me on the Harley.

Quote:
3. Wouldn't I end up taking the car to the dealer anyway to get this update done? I don't see how it could possibly be done myself, unless they plan on shipping me a USB thumb drive with the update.
Not sure how the Camaro map updates work, but most other manufacturers have a web site where end users can purchase and download updates.
You then place the files on a USB drive and run the updates yourself.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #6
guitarman8373

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro fully loaded.
Alright, thanks for the feedback. I too think it's a bit much for a map update. Maybe $50, $75 tops. But for that price I could buy something I'd appreciate a lot more for the car.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:56 PM   #7
AmericanMike

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
I read somewhere (but couldn't find the link) that the update comes on a USB that is tailored to your VIN.

My wife's 2015 Benz has maps that are crazy old. They can't find my son's school which has been in place for 5 years. They want almost $500 for an update. My fear is that the update is still not as uptodate as I expect so we use WAZE.
AmericanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:25 PM   #8
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
Who is going to provide map upgrade?
GM,
Dealers
In 1 year I will return to Europe with my 2017 A10,
I need to know where I can update European map in my nav...
Appreciate
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:36 PM   #9
GAbobcat2ss

Drives: 2SS - Nightfall Grey 6m, npp, nav
I updated the Nav on my 2016 a few months ago it was a very easy process. Just put the flash drive in and follow the directions. I think it took about 30 minutes to complete. I figured $140 isn't too bad. On my Benz it's $500 for an update

Even with AppleCar play/ Android Auto I do like the Nav directions showing up in the HUD with the GM system. I find the Waze screen a little hard to read also. My only complaint is the Traffic stopped working (related to the XM) subscription I think which I let lapse.

Good Luck
GAbobcat2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:10 PM   #10
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Whether or not you decide to update is entirely up to you. If the current mapping includes all the roads/locations you travel to, you might not need the update. The update might include any new or changed roads.
If you choose the update, you'll provide them your VIN, and they'll send the update on a simple USB stick.
Very easy to do the update once you get the USB stick.

And no, updates are not free no matter how soon ago you bought the car.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:18 PM   #11
g-boac

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe M6
At least for Corvettes, updates were free for the first two years after you bought the car - basically, during the warranty period. They came on DVD that you put in, when I owned a 2006 and 2007 C6 from new.

The 2013 Camaro 2SS/1LE I owned had a nav system, but I had no idea how to do updates. On several occasions I asked the dealer, but they didn't seem to have any idea (although the manual indicated that radio software updates were available via USB key).
g-boac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:42 AM   #12
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
map update lol my 17 shows a road by me that was closed in the 50s. its woods now.
for $139 you can buy a nice gps with lifetime updates. I do have nav and i like it but im not paying that kind of money to update. I paid $500 for a outdated GPS and they want $139 to update it. They can have a 1 finger salute.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:01 AM   #13
bturner2

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof, NPP, MRC
The Nav system in my Camaro is spotty at best and 3 out of 5 time has difficulty either understanding the address I'm looking for or just plain can't find it. I have an Android Galaxy 7 phone and use Android Auto most times for navigation. I've found it much easier and less frustrating than the GM system. Just say the following commands and you're good to go.....

OK Google.....
Navigate to XYZ...
Start route.....

I've had to actually spell out my home address because my GM system can't seem to understand the word home. Add to that, that traffic stops working when XM is not running and the Nav option starts looking really dull in comparison to phone linked options. That being the case I won't be updating maps nor ordering Nav in any cars going forward. I believe Apple Car Play and Android Auto are going to make integrated Nav a thing of the past. Charging $150 a year for map updates is just going to push that trend along quicker.
bturner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:19 AM   #14
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
The Nav system in my Camaro is spotty at best and 3 out of 5 time has difficulty either understanding the address I'm looking for or just plain can't find it. I have an Android Galaxy 7 phone and use Android Auto most times for navigation. I've found it much easier and less frustrating than the GM system. Just say the following commands and you're good to go.....

OK Google.....
Navigate to XYZ...
Start route.....

I've had to actually spell out my home address because my GM system can't seem to understand the word home. Add to that, that traffic stops working when XM is not running and the Nav option starts looking really dull in comparison to phone linked options. That being the case I won't be updating maps nor ordering Nav in any cars going forward. I believe Apple Car Play and Android Auto are going to make integrated Nav a thing of the past. Charging $150 a year for map updates is just going to push that trend along quicker.
The updates (at least for my Malibu) are not a yearly cost, it's a per update cost and so far (my Malibu is a 2015), I've only been notified of a single update.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote