Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-17-2017, 06:52 AM   #1
benji276289

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS1LE, 6 spd.man., Ora
Send a message via Skype™ to benji276289
Trying to get after market MyLink Nav refreshed

I recently purchased my 2016 2LT/RS off the lot. It did not come with Intellink Navigation. I purchased the nav module from Gen5 DIY. It works perfectly except for one thing. The "speed limit" icon is not in the menu and I'm not sure why. The Chevy dealer says they can not do a refresh because the car originally did not come with it. They say the factory told them they can't do the refresh. I don't know if it is technically not possible, for whatever reason, or they are just being assholes. I am wondering if anyone has an idea how I can get this done? I have tried emailing Gen5 DIY but they are not responding. It might be a small thing but I feel I paid enough for it and should get 100% use of it. It is a GM module so it's not like GM is losing money on the deal. Actually, they probably made more on it than if I had paid the $495 that the factory charges for it.
benji276289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:14 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
GM will not re flash/update aftermarket stuff, even if it just needs the stock program. That would open them up to all sorts of problems/precedent supporting aftermarket.

Gen5 should answer your email, he posts here all the time…
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:15 AM   #3
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Hit Ofer (2SSRS@Gen5diy) up on the message board he is on all the time.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:31 PM   #4
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Might wanna call, I've never had them respond to an email, suggestion or complaint
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #5
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
If I understand your transaction, you bought something from somewhere other than the dealer, had it installed and now wonder why GM won't service it?

Buy it from GM or the dealer and you can criticize all you want.First, expecting a dealership to service something you bought elsewhere and even going near, "are they just being a$$holes" is really unfair.

Assuming GM should sell and service something because you assume they had to be making money on something you didn't buy from them is also a big leap.

Also note, My SS does have the speed limits on the NAV, Mrs. Number 3's ATS does NOT. So not even all GM cars have that right now.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:01 AM   #6
benji276289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
If I understand your transaction, you bought something from somewhere other than the dealer, had it installed and now wonder why GM won't service it?

Buy it from GM or the dealer and you can criticize all you want.First, expecting a dealership to service something you bought elsewhere and even going near, "are they just being a$$holes" is really unfair.

Assuming GM should sell and service something because you assume they had to be making money on something you didn't buy from them is also a big leap.

Also note, My SS does have the speed limits on the NAV, Mrs. Number 3's ATS does NOT. So not even all GM cars have that right now.
I bought the car off the lot. It did not have Mylink Nav. I would have purchased the Nav module direct from Chevrolet but they won't sell anything that alters the window sticker. So I purchased the module (made by GM) after market. For some reason, everything works perfectly except I'm not getting the SL icon. My guess, since the module was made by GM, that they must be making money off of it. Incidentally, the local Chevy dealer did the installation for me. I don't think my request is unreasonable.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:13 AM   #7
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
I think your request is similar to buying a GM cam from an aftermarket source, having the dealer install it and, then expecting GM to tune it. Not going to happen. Just because it's a GM part doesn't mean they are responsible for it. If it fails you are going to have to go to DIY5 for warranty, so make them correct it.

I don't think having the speed limit sign is a big deal, it doesn't always show and not always correct.
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:14 AM   #8
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji276289 View Post
I bought the car off the lot. It did not have Mylink Nav. I would have purchased the Nav module direct from Chevrolet but they won't sell anything that alters the window sticker. So I purchased the module (made by GM) after market. For some reason, everything works perfectly except I'm not getting the SL icon. My guess, since the module was made by GM, that they must be making money off of it. Incidentally, the local Chevy dealer did the installation for me. I don't think my request is unreasonable.
I was out of town yesterday, so did not look in to much, on here doing it now, I will not have an answer till Monday for you, but will let you know what's going on, sounds like the HMI has something going on with it, any way will fix it and make you happy, if you like you can call the shop or I will pm you then.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #9
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
I recently purchased my 2016 2LT/RS off the lot. It did not come with Intellink Navigation. I purchased the nav module from Gen5 DIY. It works perfectly except for one thing. The "speed limit" icon is not in the menu and I'm not sure why. The Chevy dealer says they can not do a refresh because the car originally did not come with it. They say the factory told them they can't do the refresh. I don't know if it is technically not possible, for whatever reason, or they are just being assholes. I am wondering if anyone has an idea how I can get this done? I have tried emailing Gen5 DIY but they are not responding. It might be a small thing but I feel I paid enough for it and should get 100% use of it. It is a GM module so it's not like GM is losing money on the deal. Actually, they probably made more on it than if I had paid the $495 that the factory charges for it.
For the most part dealers are only able to Programe back to what you had in your car, and you had a non NAV car, so now your hardware will not Mach the software, to add to that the data base that has all the programs is based off the vin, so how is a dealer going to know what to install in the car that is driven in for programing?
Old 06-18-2017, 09:25 AM   #10
benji276289

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
For the most part dealers are only able to Programe back to what you had in your car, and you had a non NAV car, so now your hardware will not Mach the software, to add to that the data base that has all the programs is based off the vin, so how is a dealer going to know what to install in the car that is driven in for programing?
So why would everything else show up and work perfectly except for the SL? When you guys programmed this module, did you leave something out?
Old 06-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #11
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
So why would everything else show up and work perfectly except for the SL? When you guys programmed this module, did you leave something out?
I can be a bad unit, at 7 Am on a Sunday I don't know and the person that does is not at work today so like I said i will have the info on monday and let you know, bet will get to the bottom of it and fix it for you.

P.S. don't mean to sound like an A$$, but it is father day, and the person I need to ask has 2 kids is probably out with his family I don't want to but in today, hope you understand, but as soon as I get to the shop on monday I will find out what's going on and get back to you,

Last edited by 2SSRS@Gen5diy; 06-18-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #12
GTPprix
I hack cars.

Drives: Lots ;)
Quote:
So a few things here hopefully that will help:

1. Its a holiday weekend so I would contact the vendor on Monday; Gen 5 is great about stuff like this.
2. Dealers have ZERO ability to change anything other than how your vehicle was built, if you didn't have nav its not going to have that icon/setting.
3. Sort of tying in with #2 the cluster is programmed for the vehicle content when its built; just because you add a nav HMI it sadly magically reprogram the other modules in the car for it.

The good news is if it REALLY bothers you that much the cluster can be custom programmed to enable that feature without issue. I'd drop Gen 5 a line and they can get that rolling for you if you choose. You'll have to remove your instrument cluster and send it in for programming.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:18 AM   #13
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Installing a factory nav as an after purchase modification isn't like installing the 6 piston Brembo brakes or a spoiler or a cold air intake after purchase. Cars with nav and cars without nav are really engineered differently and have different hardware and software that would all have to be integrated after purchase. Problem is it's really not intended to be changed after purchase. It's one of those things where you decide if you want it before purchase and if you want it you buy one with it from the factory, or live with the difficulty or impossibility of getting your modification - or hacking as I'll call it - done by anyone.

No dealer in their right mind would take this on. Don't expect them to. You're living in a fantasy world if you think anyone should take this project in, and you're really naive to think it's doable to begin with. Live with what you have now and learn from this.

One more thing: any dealer could void your factory warranty when they see you have a nav module in a car that wasn't built with it. Don't be surprised at that either.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:38 PM   #14
benji276289

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Installing a factory nav as an after purchase modification isn't like installing the 6 piston Brembo brakes or a spoiler or a cold air intake after purchase. Cars with nav and cars without nav are really engineered differently and have different hardware and software that would all have to be integrated after purchase. Problem is it's really not intended to be changed after purchase. It's one of those things where you decide if you want it before purchase and if you want it you buy one with it from the factory, or live with the difficulty or impossibility of getting your modification - or hacking as I'll call it - done by anyone.

No dealer in their right mind would take this on. Don't expect them to. You're living in a fantasy world if you think anyone should take this project in, and you're really naive to think it's doable to begin with. Live with what you have now and learn from this.

One more thing: any dealer could void your factory warranty when they see you have a nav module in a car that wasn't built with it. Don't be surprised at that either.
There were no physical mods done to the car...only one module out, the other one in. It can just as easily be reversed. And btw, the dealer did the work for me.