Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 04-25-2016, 02:02 PM   #29
Mortious
Ammo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3 M6)
Nothing parties like a rental.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:21 PM   #30
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspolo View Post
I wonder why people feel the need to abuse a rental. I wonder what that says about the person.
It says we are assholes.

But I did buy her tow-truck fare when I was done with her...
Old 04-25-2016, 03:00 PM   #31
maddoxrs

Drives: 2014 LT1 Red Hot
I always thought buying a rental car was like marrying an ex prostitute. So many people have paid their money then used and abused it. I thought that up until a few months ago. No I didn't marry an ex prostitute, I bought a rental. It was a great deal and its a great car.
maddoxrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:54 PM   #32
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wds8807 View Post
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm also pretty inclined to buy them considering such good deals.
It's low mileage & under warranty. You & the car will be fine. Get it & enjoy it.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #33
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
I know a few people who have repeatedly bought rental cars over the years, to include a family member. They have all turned out to be fairly reliable, low maintenance vehicles purchased at good prices.

Yes, some, if not most, get abused and you could run into 'hidden' problems down the road; however, there are people out there selling cars that have neglected/abused their vehicles just as bad, if not worse. That being said, most rental vehicles are very well maintained, often better then the average owner.

Basically, you just have to take the same precautions you do when purchasing any used vehicle.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:44 PM   #34
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
I know a few people who have repeatedly bought rental cars over the years, to include a family member. They have all turned out to be fairly reliable, low maintenance vehicles purchased at good prices.

Yes, some, if not most, get abused and you could run into 'hidden' problems down the road; however, there are people out there selling cars that have neglected/abused their vehicles just as bad, if not worse. That being said, most rental vehicles are very well maintained, often better then the average owner.

Basically, you just have to take the same precautions you do when purchasing any used vehicle.
^^^Exactly.

I joke around... but I would NOT buy a used car, from anyone, without my independent mechanic checking it out thoroughly. Yes it costs $100 - $200 for a pre-purchase inspection but then you are an informed buyer.

There are enough deeply hidden issues to deal with, at least you can avoid the more obvious ones with a good inspection.

A rental car that has somehow avoided the routine abuse (or if it weathered it well) could still be a good buy.

But I hope people are getting their cars inspected before they buy them. It's a simple escape clause on the Purchase Agreement that you have X number of days to get it inspected, and if it fails, you get everything back (down/trade etc.). Basically they unwrap the deal.

If a dealer balks at this, RUN!

Private party, it simply has to be done before you hand over the money. I did a personal check on one purchase and ended up stopping payment after the inspection. We had an agreement, but you never know if he would have tried to cash it somehow. Watch your ass.

Anyway.. sorry to go OT, but I think it's relevant here. Get the best inspection you can find on this one...
Old 04-25-2016, 06:57 PM   #35
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
^^^Exactly.

I joke around... but I would NOT buy a used car, from anyone, without my independent mechanic checking it out thoroughly. Yes it costs $100 - $200 for a pre-purchase inspection but then you are an informed buyer.

There are enough deeply hidden issues to deal with, at least you can avoid the more obvious ones with a good inspection.

A rental car that has somehow avoided the routine abuse (or if it weathered it well) could still be a good buy.

But I hope people are getting their cars inspected before they buy them. It's a simple escape clause on the Purchase Agreement that you have X number of days to get it inspected, and if it fails, you get everything back (down/trade etc.). Basically they unwrap the deal.

If a dealer balks at this, RUN!

Private party, it simply has to be done before you hand over the money. I did a personal check on one purchase and ended up stopping payment after the inspection. We had an agreement, but you never know if he would have tried to cash it somehow. Watch your ass.

Anyway.. sorry to go OT, but I think it's relevant here. Get the best inspection you can find on this one...
Old 04-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #36
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
One thing is guaranteed: every renter that filled the tank before returning it put in the cheapest gas they could find. I don't know how much negative impact that would have on a low-mileage vehicle, but more than it would on a steady diet of 93 Premium. Not to mention, the rental place likely used the cheapest maintenance parts as well. They know they'll be selling it in a year or two, so there's no incentive to take care of it. Personally, I wouldn't touch it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:18 AM   #37
wds8807

Drives: 2015 Camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
It's low mileage & under warranty. You & the car will be fine. Get it & enjoy it.
The only question I have is why they are on sale with such low mileage like 6k or so.

They would be money makers if still on the fleet.
wds8807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:27 AM   #38
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wds8807 View Post
The only question I have is why they are on sale with such low mileage like 6k or so.

They would be money makers if still on the fleet.
Because it's a previous year/generation. Rental companies like to keep their inventory "fresh".
Old 04-26-2016, 11:14 AM   #39
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
When it comes to a rental Camaro SS I'd stay away.

WTB - 2010 Camaro 1SS or 2SS, Aqua Blue Metallic, A6
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:17 AM   #40
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
One thing is guaranteed: every renter that filled the tank before returning it put in the cheapest gas they could find. I don't know how much negative impact that would have on a low-mileage vehicle, but more than it would on a steady diet of 93 Premium. Not to mention, the rental place likely used the cheapest maintenance parts as well. They know they'll be selling it in a year or two, so there's no incentive to take care of it. Personally, I wouldn't touch it.
+1

Run OP, run and don't look back! Do you and your family the favor and not sell yourself short go a stealership and buy a used one... although, that may be a double negative. Just buy new.
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:25 AM   #41
Camaro85

Drives: 2015 SS
Me and my buddy thought it would be a good idea to rent a camaro for a week long camping trip. Let's just say we took her off roading places she shouldn't of been. So trust me you do not want to buy a rental car
Camaro85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:11 AM   #42
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
The OP's original question is about the low miles and the worry as to why it was sold and not still in fleet service: Being a Camaro convertible, it probably was passed over due to the area it was in service due to it being too small for a family to use or generally not what people needed for luggage and what not, so it sat. I rent them whenever I can and I detail them when I get them! So, not all off us are arseholes with these cars. I wanted to buy that silver 2SS convertible I rented in Long Beach.