Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 03-19-2018, 09:28 PM   #29
WhiteLightening

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 RS, 2005 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
just to note.... finally swapped the SS A8 diff, with LSD into my 3.6L with LT diff today.

so the stock is a 200mm ring gear side, the SS is a 225 ring gear size. the diff cover on the LT is aluminum, and the SS one is steel. same gear ratio of 2.77,

easy swap from looking at how JacFab swapped his diff from the open 3.27 to the LSD 3.27. I basically did the same with the open 2.77 to the LSD 2.77

all I can say, is I missed having an LSD

The Axles are WAY beefier too for those of you planning for power down the road.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=29
Is there any difference in performance ?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:37 PM   #30
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightening View Post
Is there any difference in performance ?
Of course.... thats the reason theres a limited slip differential in the ss...

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #31
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Awesome PolynesianPowerhouse !! How you liking it so far? Any regrets not doing the 327 LSD? I know you been hitting up the HPtuners info hard.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #32
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Quote:
Didnt really delete the lines per se. the 1lt without the heavy-duty cooling package doesn't have the transmission cooler or the lines that go back to the differential. So basically I had the differential, axles and the pinion flange swapped in to replace the stock stuff.

Basically you just swapped a differential, add the axles, and then take the pinion flange off the stock differential and put it on the SS differential.

And then you can just put the plastic plugs in the openings for the diff cooler.

The diff cooler is built into the SS differential. So you can't swap it into the smaller LT differential. The size difference between the two is ridiculous I mean it's not horribly insanely larger. But you definitely notice the weight difference when you're carrying it Up 3 flights of stairs versus the smaller LT differential
Nice I was wondering this! so just swap in SS differential and plug the holes good to know thats for the information!

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:32 PM   #33
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Awesome PolynesianPowerhouse !! How you liking it so far? Any regrets not doing the 327 LSD? I know you been hitting up the HPtuners info hard.
So far its been GREAT. we just got 8+ inches of snow here in the last two days. driving home on Tuesdays after being in the snow and rain outside at work all day was FUN.... the wet part not so much, as i was soaked, but driving home which usually is about an hours time, was seamlessly!

those little slip pockets on the road, like when changing lanes. where it feels like you hydroplane momentarily, weren't really there anymore as much. more solid footed is the best way to describe it. if anyone here has played a sport with cleats, its the difference in using the molded cleats, vs using the removable cleats where you can use 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch... its like going from the molded to 3/4 inch screw in studs.

so far, absolutely loving it! still running the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in the rears. haven't even installed the Blizzaks this year once.

Regrets on the 3.27? not really to be honest.

2 things: 1) trying to find one used or from a wreckers locally was hard. even on eBay, still couldn't find one. (my luck there's probably like 5 of em out there now).

2) I'm sure i could have made use of the higher numerical ratio. but now, this one was just a swap in and out. no need to even do the tune yet, (which I've seen how to do, when changing rear ends or gears). I can always get another rear end, since the same SS axles are used on the 3.27 and the 2.77 both with LSD's. so now it would just be a diff change.

all in all, this may be kinda cheeky, but I think all modern cars should come with an LSD in the diff. we get all the electronics for abs, stability control, etc... but something as simple as a plate style clutch LSD is a welcome addition. performance wise, I cant think of a style of racing, where it isn't beneficial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
Nice I was wondering this! so just swap in SS differential and plug the holes good to know thats for the information!
Yahtzee! that's all that's needed. 2 nuts to remove the axles from the hubs... 6 bolts per axle (12 total) to connect to the diff, and 3 bolts to remove the diff from the cradle. so much more simplification vs the 5th gens with changing hubs, and stuff.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 03-21-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #34
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Man that's great!! After reading your post, this mod is high on my list, with the added bonus of keeping engine/trans warranty....For now anyway lol..
On the 225mm diff asm the side plate is cast iron not aluminum right?
I was tossing around the thought of adding a small external cooler, to utilize the
oil-to-oil cooled heat exchanger built into some Gen6 rear diffs like yours.

P.S. point me in the direction of understanding ring gear sway tuning!

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #35
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Man that's great!! After reading your post, this mod is high on my list, with the added bonus of keeping engine/trans warranty....For now anyway lol..
On the 225mm diff asm the side plate is cast iron not aluminum right?
I was tossing around the thought of adding a small external cooler, to utilize the
oil-to-oil cooled heat exchanger built into some Gen6 rear diffs like yours.

P.S. point me in the direction of understanding ring gear sway tuning!
Def agree! At first I was gonna say this is def a mod for "those who plan to run their car making left and right hand turns" then after thinking of the past few times at the track, I revert back to saying, this is def a mod for anyone doing almost any type of motorsports. doing a burnout to heat or clean tires....one wheel spinning isn't gonna heat both. so this is something that would be helpful on AutoX, track, drag, or even street.

you're right about the diff siding. the steel plate vs aluminum, keeps some of the NHV down that you'd sometimes hear. it adds a bit of weight, but not anything harmful overall. also makes for a stronger casing.

the external cooler can still be added. was just under the car yesterday figuring out the vibrations I was having. (one of the catalytic converter brace nuts decided to leave without telling) but I checked out the open area above the axle backs... and when I visited MA-motorsports a week or so ago, I saw on their site they had a setup for the 350-370Z..http://www.ma-motorsports.com/ma-mot...now-available/

its the bracket to mount, pump, hoses, and radiator. more or less something like this is what you'd need to complete that cooling loop.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:41 PM   #36
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
P.Powerhouse You said the 3.27 and 2.77 on the SS use the same axles, I was looking at some manual 3.73 Carriers. This should be a direct swap as well do you think ? axles flange carrier ?

Thanks man love your input as always

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:41 AM   #37
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
P.Powerhouse You said the 3.27 and 2.77 on the SS use the same axles, I was looking at some manual 3.73 Carriers. This should be a direct swap as well do you think ? axles flange carrier ?

Thanks man love your input as always
Glad it can help some.

More than likely they do.thats just my current guess. The SS uses an axle that has a larger left axle thickness than the right side. I'm willing to bet that technically I could have used the V6 axles which were both right around 30 mm diamter with the 2.77 SS differential. But i went with the ss axles as they are supposed to combat wheel hop. The hubs seem to mount up the same But not 100% sure as of right now, this morning.

Hopefully by the end of the week, i can verify it. I snapped a band clamp on the outer CV boot so I have a spare axle in my trunk right now to put in to replace the other CV axle. nothing's wrong with the CV axle itself is just the boot ripped from the clamp. so when I remove the old left SS axle and take it to storage I can mock it up against the V6 differential.

From there I can 100% verify... or not, if the axles are universal as far as mounting goes among all of the models. or at least most of the models. we know that the outer hubs are universal for all the models so far. I wouldn't be surprised if that goes for the inner hub connection as well. Mainly because the bolt and mounting hardware seems to be the same for both the v6 and ss. With use of the retainer that has the bolt goin thru that connects the axle to the diff hub, there only seems to be one... so that would mean the spacing is the same. That's my guess for right now.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #38
WhiteLightening

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 RS, 2005 Mustang GT
So have your 0-60 times gone up any p.powerhosue, with the new rear end? Did you replace the drive shaft as well?
Old 04-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #39
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightening View Post
So have your 0-60 times gone up any p.powerhosue, with the new rear end? Did you replace the drive shaft as well?
- haven't been to the track since

- its the same exact gear ratio as the stock, so unless my car was seriously 1 wheel spinning the entire drag track, it shouldnt change...once again... same gear ratio.

- i autocross, so in turns, that's where a LSD is mainly beneficial, not really straight line racing.

Drive shaft doesnt need replacement. Just as long as you swap the 3 pronged flange on the v6 diff to the ss diff. It bolts right up.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:37 PM   #40
dpelow07

Drives: ats
so are all rear differentials able to be swapped around from the 2.0t v6 and ss cars?
dpelow07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:43 PM   #41
Kairles

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Glad it can help some.

More than likely they do.thats just my current guess. The SS uses an axle that has a larger left axle thickness than the right side. I'm willing to bet that technically I could have used the V6 axles which were both right around 30 mm diamter with the 2.77 SS differential. But i went with the ss axles as they are supposed to combat wheel hop. The hubs seem to mount up the same But not 100% sure as of right now, this morning.
My V6 1LE is the same way. Ive been wanting to go with a 3.73 diff on my car.
Everything has a different part number, and there's basically no information out there. Wasn't sure what i could reuse. Now Im thinking about just buying a diff and see what works.
Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:25 PM   #42
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpelow07 View Post
so are all rear differentials able to be swapped around from the 2.0t v6 and ss cars?
Its pretty much lookong that way. The hubs are allthe same, the mounting on the cradle s the same with just 3 points. And the axles are interchangable.

Only set up that may give you problems is the electronic LSD setup. I haven't seen anyone try to swap that over much less most people will not have the electronics / wiring to support it. So as far as the open and mechanical LSD setups all of it pretty much as interchangeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairles View Post
My V6 1LE is the same way. Ive been wanting to go with a 3.73 diff on my car.
Everything has a different part number, and there's basically no information out there. Wasn't sure what i could reuse. Now Im thinking about just buying a diff and see what works.
even though everything has different part numbers throughout the years there's a lot of information out there.

With the swap that jacfab did on the 2.0 t, that's what prompted me to do mine. And then once I figured that mine fit we pretty much know that you can use an SS diff in either the LT models V6 or 4 cylinder turbo.

also I looked up a lot of posts in the V8 forms of guys that were swapping up to different gear given everything that's been posted in all three of the forms as far as engines go and then the transmission forum, there's a wealth of information among those four forums.

Factor that in with sites like gmpartsdirect.com, that GM parts guy, and many other GM OEM Parts sites you can pretty much figure out what you need and check out the differences or not of the different part numbers.

In a nutshell that's basically all I did