Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-15-2018, 10:06 AM   #155
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Not spin. None of these cars are doing well and Challenger is the worst. The difference is fleet/rental sales. The Challenger has the big truck, big back seat, cheap V8 model, etc. So suggesting those features are going to be the difference is questionable.

Fleet! GM is avoiding that.

Retail ATP's 2017 (JDPin)
Camaro: $39,514
Challenger: $35,498 (-$4,016)
Mustang: $33,792 (-$5,722)

Retail Sales 2017
Camaro: 65,222
Mustang: 60,581 (-4641)
Challenger: 45,821 (-19,401)

Total Sales 2017
Mustang 81,866
Camaro 67,940 (-13,926)
Challenger 64,537 (-17,329)

Percentage of Total Sales that are Fleet/Rental 2017
Camaro 4%
Mustang 26% (+22%)
Challenger 29% (+25%)

Yeah it's great GM is selling more retail than fleet but sometimes good business is where you find it. I would love to sell to just my small customers because I make more selling to them than distributors but sometimes moving a lot of product at once to a distributor is neccessary.

And without knowing what is made per vehicle this conversation is really just tossing partial data around and all guessing. Ford might be making more total profit on the Mustang because of the fleet sales but we don't know all we can do is guess.

Either way I can bet you the bean counters weren't happy with the number of vehicles sold for any of the 3 cars

EDIT I will say that I do believe GM probably is making more per car than Ford, but we all know Ford isn't losing money on those fleet sales so the total profit in the cars could be the same but we do not know
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(

Last edited by shaffe; 03-15-2018 at 10:22 AM.
shaffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #156
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Camaro leads retail sales for the year still. That has been posted.

Edit: im not sure if Challenger retail sales were in that post. Looking for it. Anyone know or have it?
You have my curiosity, where can I find retail sale totals for the 3 cars for the year 2018 so far and the complete amount for 2017 on all 3 cars.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #157
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
One thing is very clear , the most expensive brand is selling the worst.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #158
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuhThugga View Post
It was one hell of a refresh with a completely new interior, the addition of the 8 speed auto, the addition of the Hellcat, and other new trim levels including one that combined the 6.4 with the previous SRT equipment for more affordable 392-equipped vehicle.

So, going back to the original statement, it is not the same car from 2009
It needed a big refresh to keep it relevant until it's redesigned, which may not come now until 2020-21.

New engines/transmissions/trim levels does not make it a redesigned vehicle when it's still riding on the same chassis from 2005/08 (LX/LC). It is the same dinosaur from 2008, your delusional if you think otherwise.
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #159
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Yeah it's great GM is selling more retail than fleet but sometimes good business is where you find it. I would love to sell to just my small customers because I make more selling to them than distributors but sometimes moving a lot of product at once to a distributor is neccessary.

And without knowing what is made per vehicle this conversation is really just tossing partial data around and all guessing. Ford might be making more total profit on the Mustang because of the fleet sales but we don't know all we can do is guess.

Either way I can bet you the bean counters weren't happy with the number of vehicles sold for any of the 3 cars

EDIT I will say that I do believe GM probably is making more per car than Ford, but we all know Ford isn't losing money on those fleet sales so the total profit in the cars could be the same but we do not know
Point is... All this talk about what the Camaro "needs" to sell better misses the fact more private "people" are buying the Camaro and paying a premium to do so. Newmoon saying "people don't much like Maro" is a joke because "people" like the Mustang and Challenger less.

I know you get it... Just using your post to emphasize the point

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #160
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
It needed a big refresh to keep it relevant until it's redesigned, which may not come now until 2020-21.

New engines/transmissions/trim levels does not make it a redesigned vehicle when it's still riding on the same chassis from 2005/08 (LX/LC). It is the same dinosaur from 2008, your delusional if you think otherwise.

no wonder companies like ford and dodge can get away with the 'the new 1998 mustang "or the "new 2012 challenger' with people out there that will believe it
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:10 PM   #161
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
The Camaro is a bad rental car, but a good personal car. No surprises here.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:33 PM   #162
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
the 6th gen issues are pretty simple. Too small, too expensive for a decent performance trim and the appearance is bland. I hope GM does better with the 7th gen, if they do it at all.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #163
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Bland

i'll be smh so hard it'll fall off
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #164
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Point is... All this talk about what the Camaro "needs" to sell better misses the fact more private "people" are buying the Camaro and paying a premium to do so. Newmoon saying "people don't much like Maro" is a joke because "people" like the Mustang and Challenger less.

I know you get it... Just using your post to emphasize the point
I get what you're throwing down, I think we can all agree no matter what though, the February numbers for all were bad, like really bad
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #165
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I get what you're throwing down, I think we can all agree no matter what though, the February numbers for all were bad, like really bad
Bad? yes... No doubt.

Was February fleet dump month for Mustang and Challenger? Is Mustang doing great given the enhancements it just got?

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:12 PM   #166
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Just remember that GM is on the record as stating they were not pursuing fleet sales with the Camaro. That was stated very early on in the 2016 redesign cycle. 4% of sales would seem to indicate that, indeed, this is their business model. Higher profit margins per unit and perhaps less warranty work (I have to believe that rental sales have higher warranty claims than individual sales).
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:57 PM   #167
germanicus

Drives: Pony Car
Quote:
Not really. The numbers you quoted above are U.S. only.
When you expand out to Canada/Europe/Asia, the contrast is much more weighed in favor of Mustang sales. Globally Mustang is crushing it. If you don't think that is a factor in either Ford's or GM's plans, you may wish to re-assess that position. In fact, 1 in 4 Mustangs made are sent to China, Germany, or England. It currently outsells 911's in Germany.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...fans/32900779/

The fact that GM had well over 100 days of inventory sitting on lots for most of 2017, does not bode well in terms of them meeting production vs. sales metrics.
germanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:57 PM   #168
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
The dealership experience leaves much to be desired as well. GM dealers are actually worse now, compared to when I was in the market for a GTO. I have no experience with dodge or Ford dealerships, are they similar?

Infiniti is much better. Even BMW, my initial experience was pretty good. My recent experiences with Hyundai on recalls has been superb as well. GM dealers in South Florida...... I dunno
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote