Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
CLUTCH FAILURE!!! WTF

As you know I had been having problems. Took her out a few times yesterday and had to pump it and even pull the pedal back up with my foot then took a 1 hr drive out of town and it was fine.

Later, on my way home, I did about 120 again to my exit off the highway and then turned in to a parking lot to get milk then the pedal went to the floor and stayed....nothing worked...stuck in first. I panicked and jumped right back on the road and proceeded to try to get home...only 1 mile but 6 lights without stopping. I ran 25mph in first with the hazards on and managed to time all the lights and get back in my driveway. My problem seems to always start after a high speed run and strong braking...inertia triggers it.

@2800 miles and 3 track days...total clutch failure???

I was very very lucky to make it home. This was a wake up call for installing skylane's tow hook kit. Personally I think gm should cover any additional cost of damage while flatbedding this car due to their punt on the tow hooks.

Off to the dealer and I will miss my autox tomorrow. PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
sent you a PM hope you read the link, at this point you may need to take it to the dealer, but IMO it will come back up today.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
Personally I think gm should cover any additional cost of damage while flatbedding this car due to their punt on the tow hooks.
Three years free roadside assistance and towing to the dealer is included with your car. For free.

" You never know when trouble is around the corner. But with GM Roadside Assistance, you have the security of knowing that help is just a phone call away. The Roadside Assistance program provides technically trained advisors who are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and offers a number of services that help ease concerns resulting from unforeseeable emergencies. In the U.S., anyone driving the vehicle is covered.
  • 24-hour, 7-days-a-week toll-free 800 phone assistance
  • Towing to the closest GM dealer (from a legal roadway)
  • Flat tire change (using vehicle's spare or tire inflator kit)
  • Battery jump-start
  • Vehicle Lock-Out Service (costs for a new key and the labor to create it are not covered)
  • Emergency fuel delivery
"

" There is generally no charge for any of the services listed under "What Is Roadside Assistance?" while the vehicle is covered by the complimentary Roadside Assistance service. However, additional charges may be incurred for some services, including towing the vehicle beyond the closest GM dealer; for non-warranty parts and labor; or for lost key replacements. For details and additional information, please refer to Section 7 of the Owner's Manual."

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Three years free roadside assistance and towing to the dealer is included with your car. For free.

" You never know when trouble is around the corner. But with GM Roadside Assistance, you have the security of knowing that help is just a phone call away. The Roadside Assistance program provides technically trained advisors who are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and offers a number of services that help ease concerns resulting from unforeseeable emergencies. In the U.S., anyone driving the vehicle is covered.
  • 24-hour, 7-days-a-week toll-free 800 phone assistance
  • Towing to the closest GM dealer (from a legal roadway)
  • Flat tire change (using vehicle's spare or tire inflator kit)
  • Battery jump-start
  • Vehicle Lock-Out Service (costs for a new key and the labor to create it are not covered)
  • Emergency fuel delivery
"

" There is generally no charge for any of the services listed under "What Is Roadside Assistance?" while the vehicle is covered by the complimentary Roadside Assistance service. However, additional charges may be incurred for some services, including towing the vehicle beyond the closest GM dealer; for non-warranty parts and labor; or for lost key replacements. For details and additional information, please refer to Section 7 of the Owner's Manual."
This is good to have, but does not fix the problem with a car that will drive other then a pedal stock to the floor, they put coolers on ever other line why not this one?

Last edited by 2SSRS@Gen5diy; 07-05-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Check the fluid, if you lose the clutch normally the peddle goes all the way up and not down. I would say its a slave master problem.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
backtotintops

yes I know about the free towing to the closest dealer which would have been the correct one but I doubt they could pull the car up on a flatbed from the front at least without damaging the splitter...but then again you and others have commented how the thing is built tough so who knows....this just should not happen on a new car and as ofer noted is a long documented problem. Fluid is fine and clear.

btw...can onstar send the tow truck?
Old 07-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Sorry to hear this, and I hope this is just an isolated problem. Hope you get a quick fix, and yes -- you can have OnStar send the tow truck AFAIK...
Old 07-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
2SSRS@Gen5diy

It's time to fix this GM, don't know why we can't get a known problum for the past 10 years + fixed.

You sale us a track car par non, but you can't shift it hard or the pedal will go down to the floor, I know all cars have problems but it's time to take pride in the car and put it above the rest of the manufacturers.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #9
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
yes I know about the free towing to the closest dealer which would have been the correct one but I doubt they could pull the car up on a flatbed from the front at least without damaging the splitter...but then again you and others have commented how the thing is built tough so who knows....this just should not happen on a new car and as ofer noted is a long documented problem. Fluid is fine and clear.

btw...can onstar send the tow truck?
They could probably tow it by the splitter If they break it, they pay for it. Hit the OnStar button or call them. No need for stress, relax

Be sure to post up what the fix is, I'm curious for sure.

" If your GM vehicle is equipped with an active OnStarŪ subscription, you can simply press the blue button for roadside service. If it is not equipped with OnStarŪ, please contact the appropriate GM Roadside Assistance number below to initiate roadside assistance for your vehicle. Our trained advisors are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year:
  • Chevrolet: 800-243-8872
"

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #10

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
My $.02...

Tin tops....I would get an independent, knowledgeable mechanic...(You guys should all have one available anyhow...lol) to diagnose this problem before you drop it off at a dealership for repair...

to me, it would be worth the peace of mind and take all the mystery out of it once you get it back....If the problem "goes away" on it's own intermittently, odds are the dealership will think you're crazy and not fix anything...Good luck...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #11
backtotintops

yes that would be smart...thanks.

This is a huge problem and an easy solution and even if this is not what caused my issue I will add the reservoir. JDP has a $60 full kit or maybe skylane can make a bracket just for the holden reservoir as noted here:http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34085

AND...my current reservoir cap LEAKS like everyone else is complaining about....sheesh..this is 3 years old at least.

ps...I guess I'm the only person out daily driving and hammering this huh!!! Last night was a monsoon and I was so excited to run her fast in the rain...bridgestones did great except for standing water...touring mode no ptm. The last 5 minutes on the highway last night very high rev shifts up and down and hard braking and then total pedal failure...just like that link noted...this happens right after that.

Last edited by backtotintops; 07-05-2014 at 12:54 PM.
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #12
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
I hope you have a better dealer than most, the word "track" sends them into it isn't covered by warranty frenzy. I took my 1LE in where the front brake calipers discolored and brake rotors looked like a spiders web, less than 5,000 miles. I battled with everyone local, no call backs from Corp GM. Good luck, so much for track ready.
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #13
backtotintops

Just tried it to see if it came back up...nope...now can't even start the car.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #14
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
A flat bed can be used if they put wood cribbing in front of your tires. Those hydraulic cables move slow so you can tell them to stop if you don't think it will make it. If done right it should be ok. The ZL1s have had trouble and your splitter sticks out more, just means longer pieces of wood.