Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-24-2016, 09:07 AM   #15
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xk49 View Post
Maybe I don't use the "search" engine correctly, but I find it next to useless. Pulls up every damn thread there is for every search word. For instance, if I type in z28 oil cam recommendation, I get post of "recommended head rest", "cam install", "z28 blinker fluid", etc. So, when someones says just search for it, I would like them to go stuff it, because unless you are complete idiot, the first thing most people do is "search". It's just way faster if you just get a straight answer, regardless if it's been asked a million times.
If you use the advanced search, then you can search titles, posts, users, etc.

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:11 AM   #16
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by didon1972 View Post
This is the reason I don't bother with these forums because of douchbags like yourself. Don't you f'n think I searched to see what type of oil people are using in their Z28's. I didn't see anything. If you couldn't answer the question without being a dick just move on.
AGREE !!!!thats what the forum is all about...dont like it, dont reply! Most of the time you can just google it and attached Camaro 5 to end of your search topic and find out just about anything thats on here. but to give a guy a hard time about asking a repetitive question,come on grow up!!! hell,, who knows things change over time and people change their minds about certain products...
Old 01-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #17
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Seems to me that the question of what oil people are using in a Z28 with a cam upgrade hasn't been discussed too much at all on this forum. Even if it has, who cares, it's not like this is required reading and answering. Myself I would probably use what the shop recommends. In the mean time you can research every resource to find out what a better and more convenient oil would be for you. I don't know what that oil would be, but it's interesting to know what you find out.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #18
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
I use Royal Purple in my baby. K&N Filter.
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:51 PM   #19
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
use Mobil 1 5w-30 and you will be fine. Extended life is preferred over the standard Mobil 1. For track use, Mobil 1 15w-50 is recommended by GM. I would trust a major manufacturer like Mobil over a "Joe Gibbs" oil.
If Christianchevell catches a whiff of the last sentence, you will be sorry..lollll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by didon1972 View Post
obviously I can but my question was asking what people are using in their Z28
I'd re-edit the title description and include "Z28" in there.

When you go fishing, do you use a specific bait for a specific species, or one bait for all?
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:30 AM   #20
jjautowerks

Drives: Hondas2k
15 w 40?
jjautowerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:47 AM   #21
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjautowerks View Post
15 w 40?
That's too thick for daily street work. If using it for racing, just make sure to use a matching oil filter. ie for the Z28, the PF64 is used when using the thicker oil for racing. A pf48 would not have the right flow rate, bypass valve... for oil that thick.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:50 PM   #22
Candr3535

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black Vert M6 #5591
No Z-28 here but i have a ZL1 Cammed and I use Amsoil Signature series 10w30. That's all I will say so I don't get YELLED at by anyone who doesn't like what I wrote. Lol
Dyna-Tech Headers Ceramic Coated w/Super Flo Cats, JRE Custom Rough Idle Racing Cam Package and 125 RWHP Pulley Kit w/ 28% pulley, Custom Tune by Ted, ID850 injectors, JMS Fuel Booster, NGK Plugs, MSD Plug Wires, Roto-Fab CAI, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Elite Catch Can, Mild to Wild, 90mm VMaxx Ported Throttle Body, Skip Shift Elim., D3 Coolant Resevoir, Separated Clutch Resevoir, and Fuzzy Red Dice..
Candr3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:10 AM   #23
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Amsoil ZRod 10w30
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #24
13coupe

Drives: Crystal Red 1SS Coupe 6spd manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-22 View Post
AGREE !!!!thats what the forum is all about...dont like it, dont reply! Most of the time you can just google it and attached Camaro 5 to end of your search topic and find out just about anything thats on here. but to give a guy a hard time about asking a repetitive question,come on grow up!!! hell,, who knows things change over time and people change their minds about certain products...

13coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:11 PM   #25
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
I used Mobil 1 5w-30 w/ mobil-1 filter, strictly changing oil between 4k-5k. When I took my heads off and completed my cam swap, my heads looked new. I took them to the engine shop I worked at throughout high school (Fulton Competition) and Gene couldn't believe my car had over 60K on it.

Change it regularly and you will be alright using Mobil-1. I now run royal purple since I have done a cam swap.

-CC
Tick Performance Custom Cam w/ support mods/BBK LT Headers w/ midpipes/Straight Exhaust/Airaid Cold Air Intake/ZL1 Driveshaft/ZL1 Differential/Hendrix Engineering Offset Bushings/ZL1 Axles/BMR Rear Subframe Bushings/BMR Toe Rods/Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion/Jannetty Winsheild Bottle Scoop/Forgestar 15x10 Beadlocks wrapped in Mickey Thompson Radial Pros
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #26
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post

Change it regularly and you will be alright using Mobil-1. I now run royal purple since I have down a cam swap.

-CC
Why the R.P. since the cam swap?

Is there more zinc in there or something?
Old 03-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #27
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Honestly I spent too much time and money doing my head/cam install to continue putting Mobil-1 in. There's nothing wrong with Mobil-1 in my own opinion, but I have heard mixed reviews on it. While I haven't extensively searched, I haven't found any negative reviews on Royal Purple. Also, Oreilly's was having a sale on Royal Purple that day, so I decided to give it a go from then on. More a piece of mind than anything I suppose.
Tick Performance Custom Cam w/ support mods/BBK LT Headers w/ midpipes/Straight Exhaust/Airaid Cold Air Intake/ZL1 Driveshaft/ZL1 Differential/Hendrix Engineering Offset Bushings/ZL1 Axles/BMR Rear Subframe Bushings/BMR Toe Rods/Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion/Jannetty Winsheild Bottle Scoop/Forgestar 15x10 Beadlocks wrapped in Mickey Thompson Radial Pros
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:33 PM   #28
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
Honestly I spent too much time and money doing my head/cam install to continue putting Mobil-1 in. There's nothing wrong with Mobil-1 in my own opinion, but I have heard mixed reviews on it. While I haven't extensively searched, I haven't found any negative reviews on Royal Purple. Also, Oreilly's was having a sale on Royal Purple that day, so I decided to give it a go from then on. More a piece of mind than anything I suppose.
A major reputable Turbo manufacturer/vendor/re-builder from your country, circa 2000, told me over the phone, about the ill-effects of Royal Purple on turbo units. Leaking and burnt turbo units that they were opening up to repair in the shop...dudes in near vicinity of the surgery, would cover up their noses and say to themselves, "yup, an other RP user" lol. The stench was one of a kind.

That call was the nail in the coffin for that product to my eyes, I had already heard the chit chatter, but I was tuuurbooo back then you see.

Since you are normally aspirated, all should be good .