Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-19-2015, 06:19 AM   #953
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Knight View Post
Seems like a lot of people are having problems with these that has even put them in danger allegedly. What's going on here are these things still being beta tested? I've noticed a lot of people have been selling them used lately, maybe this is why lol. How many months is it gonna take to get an answer out of the company who makes these? I've been following this since I was going to buy one then read about all the malfunctions.
The problem for any company is troubleshooting the problems that could arise from or with their products. In their testing they may not have had any problems, and with anything else, you can never tell what could happen over time. Could the parts they are using be the problem? Of course. I have heard of many a problem with faulty batches of electronics.. It happens.. My gauge of them is to see how they respond to the problems, and how they proceed going forward. I would like to see data of how many people have issues, and how many don't, their model Camaro, and how long it has been in use.

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:07 PM   #954
horizon670

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT / RS / Auto
We've exchanged every defective unit ( 12 defective units so far out of 1100 sold )
horizon670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:09 PM   #955
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon670 View Post
We've exchanged every defective unit ( 12 defective units so far out of 1100 sold )
What is the nature of the defect(s) ?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:25 PM   #956
horizon670

We've found that on some Controllers they required a little higher voltage drawing from the Accelerator pedal for the main PCB Board to function correctly without giving any CEL. But again this was found on very few units.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:46 PM   #957
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
TB control

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGiovando View Post
Thanks for all the input guys
I've got mine on a LS3 set at 5,a little hairy , not too bad,touchy though. If you're going to play with a higher than 5 setting,make sure you have enough straight road in front of you,because you run out of real estate very fast. A very good mod to go with the V-max, CNC TB.
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:51 AM   #958
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
We've found that on some Controllers they required a little higher voltage drawing from the Accelerator pedal for the main PCB Board to function correctly without giving any CEL. But again this was found on very few units.
This is good to know. Thanks for the update . I've had mine set at 5 since installing it and love how it reacts . One of these days I'll have to try the higher settings .
1Coopgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #959
Aug

Drives: 2014 2SS MT, Convertible
I just installed the controller. I only drove it for about 10 minutes afterward, but so far I really like it. I first had it set at 6, then down to 4. I think for me, 4 is perfect. I just makes the car feel more responsive, less laggy, and the transmission "feels" like it downshifts quicker, I don't mean soon, but quicker. I know it isn't really, but that is the best way I can describe it.

This is on my 2014 2LT convertible, which I have only had a week and it has less than 15k miles. My wife will K ill me if she finds out I messed with the car, so I really am hoping I don't have any problems.
Aug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #960
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
Quote:
so there is nothing you can do to prevent it ,people have associated the problem with weather,setting the controller to high and engine warming..if your controller was bad its bad,if its good your ok,correct??
Old 06-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #961
1Canuck

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
Quote:
so how does this relate to CEL and reduced engine power with only 2.1 volts at 100% pedal
1Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:49 AM   #962
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
Old 06-22-2015, 10:13 AM   #963
bleavens1962

Drives: 2014 1LS Camaro
Would like to know the actual amount of defective VTC.
Where is the Quality Control, there has to be some testing procedure to remove the defective units from production, why was this not known prior to shipping out ? Car makers do this all the time , sending out defective products (knowingly) and playing the odds..
bleavens1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #964
Aug

Drives: 2014 2SS MT, Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleavens1962 View Post
Would like to know the actual amount of defective VTC.
Where is the Quality Control, there has to be some testing procedure to remove the defective units from production, why was this not known prior to shipping out ? Car makers do this all the time , sending out defective products (knowingly) and playing the odds..
They already said how many failures were returned in a previous post: 12 out of 1100.

And while I am not trying to defend anyone or any company, I would say that in general, manufacturers don't test 100% of every product 100% of the time. Common and accepted practice is to perform rigorous testing on large samples, and reduce sample size as warranted. I hope that they do follow proper and accepted manufacturing and testing practices, and to me, that is what is important.

I will admit, I would feel better knowing 100% that my actual device was tested or otherwise determine to be free of the defect mentioned here. I still have in the forefront of my mind that if something goes wrong, my wife is going to freak out on me.
Aug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #965
1Canuck

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Canuck View Post
so how does this relate to CEL and reduced engine power with only 2.1 volts at 100% pedal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aug View Post
They already said how many failures were returned in a previous post: 12 out of 1100.

And while I am not trying to defend anyone or any company, I would say that in general, manufacturers don't test 100% of every product 100% of the time. Common and accepted practice is to perform rigorous testing on large samples, and reduce sample size as warranted. I hope that they do follow proper and accepted manufacturing and testing practices, and to me, that is what is important.

I will admit, I would feel better knowing 100% that my actual device was tested or otherwise determine to be free of the defect mentioned here. I still have in the forefront of my mind that if something goes wrong, my wife is going to freak out on me.
so I along with others are standing by waiting for answers. 12 out of 1100 does not include us, how many are we. why are so many being resold.
My best guess is that Chevy made a change to the pedal voltage and that the VTC worked as advertised on older than 2014 vehicles. Horizon 670 has alluded to this in the quote above and may well be re working the motherboard. but meanwhile more than 12 out of 1100 are affected. I wonder if there is an extension on the 30 day return policy while we wait. It is not the product but the interaction with the latest ECM perhaps.
1Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #966
horizon670

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Canuck View Post
so I along with others are standing by waiting for answers. 12 out of 1100 does not include us, how many are we. why are so many being resold.
My best guess is that Chevy made a change to the pedal voltage and that the VTC worked as advertised on older than 2014 vehicles. Horizon 670 has alluded to this in the quote above and may well be re working the motherboard. but meanwhile more than 12 out of 1100 are affected. I wonder if there is an extension on the 30 day return policy while we wait. It is not the product but the interaction with the latest ECM perhaps.
Yes, we're extending our 30 day return policy: If after 30 days you experience a reduced engine power and after troubleshooting the device, we find out you have a defective Controller, we'll exchange it with another one. Nothing to worry about.

Last edited by horizon670; 06-22-2015 at 02:13 PM.