Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #1611
Scotty D

Drives: 2014 1le 1SS CRMT
Think about it . My car is already at the dealer ! And they don't have to wait for me to bring it in!! I'll bet the ones that are on the lot will be done first . Just makes sense .
Scotty D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #1612
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Software Guy View Post
That is the burning question. Theoretically they should ship new blanks to the dealers that have sold cars on hold..... My inside person at GM has no info as of this point unfortunately.
Not every dealer has the equipment to cut the keys. They have to order the keys cut.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #1613
Scotty D

Drives: 2014 1le 1SS CRMT
That makes it even better I think for us guys that have there cars are sitting at the dealer !
Scotty D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #1614
teamteets

Drives: 2014 SS
My new SS is sitting at the dealer. Purchased right as the stop order was delivered. They provided a free loaner and have committed the first keys they get go to my car. BTW, the loaner, a new Chevy Cruise, has the same switch blade key in almost the same position.
teamteets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #1615
Darwood

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamteets View Post
My new SS is sitting at the dealer. Purchased right as the stop order was delivered. They provided a free loaner and have committed the first keys they get go to my car. BTW, the loaner, a new Chevy Cruise, has the same switch blade key in almost the same position.
I bet if you tried you could turn it off with your knee.

I may or may not have just bought a spare uncut key fob. The silliness of this recall is staggering. The fix should be a case by case basis and only performed if you're a orangutan. There is no need for this to be done for every car.
Darwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:08 AM   #1616
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadwing View Post
I remember when they did the 'interim' cruise control fire fix on my Mark VIII without asking me. Had to live without cruise for months. That sucked. Gave me a similar feeling about recalls, really.
They tried to do the same thing with our trailblazer for the drivers door switch panel recall... the "fix" before they had parts was to make sure all the windows were up, and unplug the panel. They didn't tell us til we got it in there that they didn't have the parts, I overheard the service manager telling the mechanic just unplug it and put a stop to that in a hurry.

I don't hand over my vehicles to other people very often, and when I do I watch them like a hawk... the people that just blindly drop cars off and say "do whatever it needs" will likely get this and any other recall done without consent, as well as various other nonsense services they pile on the ignorant and unobservant to pad the profit margin.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:26 AM   #1617
Darwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
They tried to do the same thing with our trailblazer for the drivers door switch panel recall... the "fix" before they had parts was to make sure all the windows were up, and unplug the panel. They didn't tell us til we got it in there that they didn't have the parts, I overheard the service manager telling the mechanic just unplug it and put a stop to that in a hurry.

I don't hand over my vehicles to other people very often, and when I do I watch them like a hawk... the people that just blindly drop cars off and say "do whatever it needs" will likely get this and any other recall done without consent, as well as various other nonsense services they pile on the ignorant and unobservant to pad the profit margin.
I'll be waiting for the string of threads titled "The dealer broke my key fob!!!"

Uninformed people are going to be pissed after they get the recall done.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #1618
camarolt76
2SS/RS Black/CGM Stripes

Drives: 88 Iroc, 76 Camaro, 2010 2SS/RS
I like the switchblade key as well, but the cover for the unlock button has worn through on the one I used for 5 years. Since that is the case, I will turn both in and get a free replacement of the bad fob.
2SS/RS Black with CGM Rally Stripes (#8575) Built on 8th of May, Delivered 10 June 2009.

camarolt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #1619
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarolt76 View Post
I like the switchblade key as well, but the cover for the unlock button has worn through on the one I used for 5 years. Since that is the case, I will turn both in and get a free replacement of the bad fob.

doesn't sound like they're planning to replace the fob, just the key.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #1620
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
I had to rent a 2014 Camaro to see what was deal was. (Mine is still holding).

Yes, I could hit the key if I wanted to. In normal driving? Not a chance.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #1621
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarolt76 View Post
If the buttons are worn through, you can buy replacement cases and swap the guts and key. They're not very expensive. I bought one on Amazon not long ago.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #1622
sambocaesar

Drives: '13 Camaro Convertible 1LT
Different Selling Dealer and Service Dealer

I'm wondering if they expect the recall change to be made at the selling dealer. I bought mine at a dealer 50 miles away. I have it serviced at a dealer 2 miles away. (The closer dealer wasn't established when I bought mine).
sambocaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #1623
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambocaesar View Post
I'm wondering if they expect the recall change to be made at the selling dealer. I bought mine at a dealer 50 miles away. I have it serviced at a dealer 2 miles away. (The closer dealer wasn't established when I bought mine).

I bought mine some 180 miles away from where we live and our sales rep and I agreed that I'd have the recall done at a local dealership whenever they receive their supplies. So, you can have it performed through any GM dealer. Just like warranty. Some dealerships have the high dollar tool to recut the key blanks.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #1624
Darwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post
I bought mine some 180 miles away from where we live and our sales rep and I agreed that I'd have the recall done at a local dealership whenever they receive their supplies. So, you can have it performed through any GM dealer. Just like warranty. Some dealerships have the high dollar tool to recut the key blanks.
If you read the recall it doesn't matter currently if the dealer can cut blanks. GM is only going to send out cut keys for now and will not be sending out blanks.

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall