Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-15-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
HeavyChevySSRS

Drives: 2010 SSRS
Axle swap

Hey question before I start the tear down.. before removing the axles from the diff, does the fluid in the diff need to be drained??
I saw a YouTube video of them changing an axle seal. No where in the video did draining the fluid come up.

Lemme know! I wanna start tomorrow.

10' ls3 2SS/RS, gfx pkg, stainless headers, 3" stainless exhaust, rotofab cai, custom stage 3 cam, 4:11 gears, wall tuned

HeavyChevySSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:17 PM   #2
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
no it does not.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:06 PM   #3
HeavyChevySSRS

Thanks! Time to get wrenchin

10' ls3 2SS/RS, gfx pkg, stainless headers, 3" stainless exhaust, rotofab cai, custom stage 3 cam, 4:11 gears, wall tuned

Old 08-16-2017, 02:22 PM   #4
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
just know if the diff falls over you will have a big smelly mess.
Forged LS3, FED M311 heads, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa Xtreme, Taylor Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer twin carbon clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, ZL1 Diff Swap, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Carslyle racing 15in conversion, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id1300x, Alky Control
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMatt View Post
just know if the diff falls over you will have a big smelly mess.
If 3 bolts shear off and cause it to fall over from pulling an axle out of the pumpkin then he's got bigger issues. Or he should give up wrenching and start doing strong-man competitions.

OP: Be careful of the seals if you don't have the install tool. It's very easy to pinch one and cause a slow leak later. I suggest cleaning the area very well and checking the seals after a couple hundred miles and some high rpm runs for a weeping seal.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:14 PM   #6
HeavyChevySSRS

What is this??

So I pulled my stock axle out, and in the diff I see this hanging. I can tell where it goes on the stock axle, but do I need it with the dss 1400 axles? It doesn't seem to seat nicely on them.
Question is where does it go, or do I need it.

Second pic is where it goes on the stock axle.

Third pic is where it would go on the dss axle

Thanks

Ps.. not that strong, my diff ain't moving lol
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If 3 bolts shear off and cause it to fall over from pulling an axle out of the pumpkin then he's got bigger issues. Or he should give up wrenching and start doing strong-man competitions.
I misunderstood, I thought he was dropping the diff out.
Forged LS3, FED M311 heads, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa Xtreme, Taylor Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer twin carbon clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, ZL1 Diff Swap, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Carslyle racing 15in conversion, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id1300x, Alky Control
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #8
HeavyChevySSRS

Ok I think I figured it out. The ring seems to fit perfect in this groove. I hope it's right atleast....
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2017, 08:00 PM   #9
Slammed1000

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
That's the spring from the diff seal. Not sure you will be able to get it back in without replacing the seal. Without it you wont have any pressure on the mating surface and it will leak for sure.
Slammed1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:18 PM   #10
HeavyChevySSRS

So This spring needs to on the inside lip of the seal?
And whrre I have it on the picture is incorrect then.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:29 AM   #11
Slickcas

Drives: 12' 2SS/RS LS3 IBM
Yep need a new seal. Not do bad to change out. But yea would be bad to have it there. Could score your new axle !
Slickcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:24 PM   #12
HeavyChevySSRS

Thanks guys,
So I ended up getting a new seal.
Took it for a test run and I get this wild vibration throughout the steering wheel and whole car really.. so that sucks. Everything is torqued to spec so it can't be that...
I'm discouraged to say the least.
What could be my problem now? Axle not in far enough? are the joints worn out?
The axles are 1400hp dss axles bought from a member on here