Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 07-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #1
ZL1 Maniac

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Red Hot M6
BFG Gforce Comp2 AS - Killed One - Where to get ??

Having a nice drive yesterday on the highway and then BANG...WTF was that moment...

Car felt fine, I'm looking around wondering what happened then looked down at the dash and the tire pressure system is telling me left rear is 3 psi and I watched it go to 0 real fast....still going 60 mph...car still felt pretty good.

Short story is I didn't want to leave it where I was so I kept going around 50 for about 15 miles till it didn't feel so good anymore

Made it within 5 miles of home and had to call the flatbed....tire is toast and by the time we got in on and off the truck and in the drive the tire was all wadded up and pulled out the plastic wheelhouse liner and mangled the rear mudguard trim. Found a thumb side hole in the tread....

The only good part was the beads of the tire stayed put and protected the wheel from damage.

Anyone having any luck finding this tire in 305/35ZR/20 ???

Bumming heavy....

Jeff
Attached Images

ZL1 Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Shouldn't be too hard to get a replacement but my goodnesss....NEVER drive on a flat, especially on a car you care about. Should have taken the nearest SAFE stopping point (Rest area, exit, parking lot of any kind) and had it towed. Probably would have saved your car a lot of damage. Good luck.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #3
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
How does that happen? Hopefully not a problem with the tire itself...
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #4
Dave Karl

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Conv.
I have the BFGs on mine. Can you tell if something punctured the tire or did it just come apart? If it was punctured, do you have road hazard protection?
Dave Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:41 PM   #5
ZL1 Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Karl View Post
I have the BFGs on mine. Can you tell if something punctured the tire or did it just come apart? If it was punctured, do you have road hazard protection?
Oh it was punctured for sure, about a nickel size hole in the tread. And of course I shouldn't have driven on it so far but was hoping not to tow it at all. Didn't quite make it though. $200 bucks for the wheelhouse liner and whatnot, but at least the wheel survived and no body damage.

Talked to BFG and they are willing to do a claim on it...dealer has to evaluate the tire (or what's left of it) and report to them and maybe they will cover it. But.....

They don't have any and can't say when they will, and nobody else seems to have them either so none of that helps.

No fault of the tires, great until now...but how do they put these tires out there and then you can't get a replacement 2 mos later?? Not Cool BFG
Old 07-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
Sorry to see this OP. I have the same tires on my SS, glad to hear it wasn't a complete tire fail. I never could understand why they can't keep these in stock. That's definitely a BFG fail. Good luck with this.
witenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:29 PM   #7
Mvpdhillon27

Drives: 2010 Blk Camaro SS LS3
Sorry to hear about the tire, Discount Tire Direct has them and ship fast:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...5&rd=20&cs=305

The Costco in Columbus, OH can get them too.
Mvpdhillon27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #8
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Tire manufactures make enough to fill distribution orders, bigger the size the less are made. Try finding the same in a Continental DWS its the same sorry. Its the price you pay for being cool...

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:48 AM   #9
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Did you think about using the slime kit???Wonder if it would have worked on a hole that size...Glad your ok...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:34 AM   #10
ZL1 Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvpdhillon27 View Post
Sorry to hear about the tire, Discount Tire Direct has them and ship fast:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...5&rd=20&cs=305

The Costco in Columbus, OH can get them too.
I'll try Costco but Discount Tire Direct does not have them...site will let you order but no go...

Thanks
Old 07-11-2017, 07:17 AM   #11
stuckpipe

Drives: 2013 Victory Red ZL1
NTB tires and service had some in Dallas last week, that's where I got mine.
stuckpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #12
Dave Karl

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 Maniac View Post
Oh it was punctured for sure, about a nickel size hole in the tread. And of course I shouldn't have driven on it so far but was hoping not to tow it at all. Didn't quite make it though. $200 bucks for the wheelhouse liner and whatnot, but at least the wheel survived and no body damage.

Talked to BFG and they are willing to do a claim on it...dealer has to evaluate the tire (or what's left of it) and report to them and maybe they will cover it. But.....

They don't have any and can't say when they will, and nobody else seems to have them either so none of that helps.

No fault of the tires, great until now...but how do they put these tires out there and then you can't get a replacement 2 mos later?? Not Cool BFG
Have you checked Tire Rack??? Last time I checked their web site they had them in stock.
Dave Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #13
SDTWDirect

Drives: Highly Modified
That is terrible; glad that you made it home okay. This particular tire/size appears to be on a nationwide backorder - TR included. We have access to maybe one last set, but there is no saying how long it will be available for.

-AL of SDTW Direct
SDTWDirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #14
ZL1 Maniac

Thanks everyone!!

My dealer that I bought them from ended up finding one after about 7 hrs on the phone. Need to ask him where he found it....

Should be back to normal in a day or two when I get the new wheelhouse liner.

Jeff