Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-29-2014, 08:18 AM   #29
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindave View Post
I was done with onStar when they called me while I was DRIVING (ON THE CAR ITSELF, NOT MY CELL) to have a conversation on attaching a credit card to my account so I would loose the "valuable" features on expiration of the trial. I don't talk while driving and didn't even have my cell linked to the car. I didn't have a choice to even answer the call, they just barged in to sell me without warning after one ring. BULLSHIT to them.
Just think . . . mobile advertising via telematics is only in its infancy.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:21 AM   #30
garyw

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
I wouldn't know, I disconnected that bulls**t three days after I picked mine up. I have a c.e.l on but I dont care. No one invading (possibly) on my privacy or having the ability to access my cars computer etc.
wow, i bet you live in an aluminum foil house too.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #31
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
I work oilfeild and live in company housing so yes I do because it's an aluminum trailer. Dont know how you figured that out lol. Is your house aluminum as well?
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #32
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
Don't you think that when you buy a car that you have also bought the right to control electronic access as well as physical access?

As far as the benefits listed earlier, I myself have no need of unlock assistance, not enough need of direction assistance to warrant the monthly fee, and a long enough and good enough driving history to be comfortable with the risk of driving without anybody monitoring what's going on. Apparently, I'm not alone.

Hell, when I'm driving, I want to be disconnected from the grid (and everybody on it who thinks I owe them a slice of my time right then). Not tied more tightly to it.

Norm
Old 08-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #33
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Don't you think that when you buy a car that you have also bought the right to control electronic access as well as physical access?

As far as the benefits listed earlier, I myself have no need of unlock assistance, not enough need of direction assistance to warrant the monthly fee, and a long enough and good enough driving history to be comfortable with the risk of driving without anybody monitoring what's going on. Apparently, I'm not alone.

Hell, when I'm driving, I want to be disconnected from the grid (and everybody on it who thinks I owe them a slice of my time right then). Not tied more tightly to it.

Norm
Well said sir
Old 08-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #34
invaderzim

Drives: 45th SS, '12 ducati 1199 on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Carats View Post
Can you see your own reflection when you look in a mirror?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Well said sir
I can't even imagine the burden it must be to think yourself so important that, in spite of the millions of onstar paying subscribers, you're being monitored. has to be rough.
invaderzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #35
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by invaderzim View Post
I can't even imagine the burden it must be to think yourself so important that, in spite of the millions of onstar paying subscribers, you're being monitored. has to be rough.
Ok, so why is MY OPTION to remove the onstar such a bother and puzzle to you? Its my f***ing car and I paid cash for it in full (brand new). I did not ask why do you love onstar, or am I abnormal for disconnecting it, I simply stated I removed it lol. Its MY right and MY privilege. Yours is to keep it which I respect, For me it will stay where I left it (in the trash). MY car My choice thank you very much
Old 08-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #36
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
cant we all just get along......

rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:54 PM   #37
MikeInVegas

Drives: 2013 2SS
Yep, red and blue in the mirror stopped my heart for the first few months. I don't notice it anymore.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:37 AM   #38
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
If your that concerned about it, turn the blasted thing off, and cancel it. You do have that option.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #39
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
Oh yeah! You are not paranoid. Paranoid is the irrational idea that someone is watching you. So there you go.

You are being monitored, and you gave them permission. So you should no longer "think" that you are being watched, "know" now that you are being watched. Now those of you who poo-poo that this is nothing to worry about, you will come to a point where you wished you hadn't allowed access or gave permission to be monitored, or call it whatever you like, because things will change and not for the better. You will not like it and there will be nothing you can do about it. But don't do research or get informed or anything like that, what ever you do. Two words: control!
Troy Lawson
Old 08-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #40
Renstuka

Drives: 2014 White LS Coupe, Manual trans
Black spray paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberk1012 View Post
All. The. Time. Honestly I will be putting tape over it...don't know why I haven't yet
wow I should have thought of that before I spray painted mine. NOT
Renstuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:53 AM   #41
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
How long has it been since you have pumped gasoline into a car? Here comes a commercial on the pump.
When was the last time you bought groceries? While you wait at the checkout: here comes a commercial.
How about when you ran into the convenience store? Wasn't there an electronic sign proclaiming the possible winnings from the lottery?
What about the animated billboards that face you as you drive down the highway?

It's sad when people tell you that you are saving money when seeing these advertisements.
It's not a matter of money here.

What it is, is about not being disturbed via telematics while you're driving, like the case that got this whole thread going. There is no way in hell I want my car start talking to me for no apparent reason other than somebody with communications access to it thinks his business should be more important to me than the then-current business of driving really is. My cars should be refuges from being pestered, more like being off the grid instead of being wrapped more tightly to it.

Norm
Old 09-04-2014, 08:43 AM   #42
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

Norm
+1

I have AAA for the wife and the nav sux compared to the one on my phone. Wish it had never been installed.

In 20 years my grand kids will say "PawPaw what is OnStar"

I would not doubt if there is an app for you phone that might be able to call 911 if your car suddenly stops. If not, might be an opportunity for an enterprising developer.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote