Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #15
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Well with an argument like that, who can't agree? The 8-speed automatic with paddle shifters would be an excellent addition to your SUV to improve its highway mileage and towing capacity.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:05 PM   #16
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
It won't be long ..................
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...71778758,d.cGU
Old 07-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #17
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
the GM dual clutch will be an expensive option over a normal automatic. I bet it won't be available except for high-end models... think ZL1, Z28, maybe 1LE.

plus it was designed and built all in-house at GM.... and I'm a little afraid about getting new technology. remember CVT died a horrible death after they failed constantly. I'm sure GM will get it right but it might take a few years. remember GTR's were blowing up transmissions also.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #18
Mean Green Z28

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
I think the new Camaro should be built out of unobtainium.
After what happened in Pandora, I doubt it
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:08 PM   #19
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Did anyone see the episode of Fifth Gear when they drove a PDK vs M6 Porsche Cayman? The PDK was actually slower around the track. Not that that means anything if a Camaro had PDK tranny but........I'll stick with my manual all day. Cant elimainate fun factor.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #20
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
+1
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #21
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post
Not gonna happen. GM went with a 8 speed true automatic in the new Z06. Camaro will eventually get the same.
Can you get the Z06 with that or the manual, or just that?
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #22
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goo View Post
A dual clutch is much better than an automatic but I (and I think a lot of us) still would rather have a manual.

As for Porsche, you really have to search hard, or order a manual anymore. PDK is outselling manuals 10:1. BMWs are the same way... I don't ever see that happening to Camaros...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistiq View Post
Maybe you need to stop granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky you didn't blow the welds on the intake manifold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytown87 View Post
Did anyone see the episode of Fifth Gear when they drove a PDK vs M6 Porsche Cayman? The PDK was actually slower around the track. Not that that means anything if a Camaro had PDK tranny but........I'll stick with my manual all day. Cant elimainate fun factor.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #23
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
These are muscle cars. They need to have that little stick poking out of the center console. There is more to a muscle car than raw performance. If you start going all "European" on these cars they no longer become muscle cars. This is about heritage, people.

An 8-speed paddle shifter may work well on a Corvette, but they look stupid on a Camaro IMO. These cars deserve a true manual gearbox (for a street car) or an automatic 4 speed with a big ass converter (for a strip car). These 6-7-8 speed autos with paddle shifting and all this crap exist because people are terrible drivers and don't want to learn to become good drivers, and it comes at the expense of the American muscle car's heritage. Don't you see how silly the automatic 5th gen is? The manual can be ordered with such a nice package - LS3, NPP with a beautiful H-pipe, 1LE option, quad-tip rear diffuser. The automatic gets a detuned L99 with resonators, no upgraded exhaust option, AFM...the 6L80E is a great transmission in terms of strength and durability but it's like the General telling you it doesn't belong. Too bad for these emissions regulations because an LS3 with a 4L80E and NPP option stock from the factory would've been gnarly.

Wow! Wow! ChacoTaco... Lmao ...... hahaha We're here for counseling!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #24
45th4ken

Drives: 45th Anniversary
PDK on the P car is awesome.

PDK, twin clutch type of tranny on a Camaro would add tooooo many green backs to the total cost. Plus not to mention the price to service one of these bad boys once they're out of warranty. Ouch!
45th4ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #25
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Not a fan of the manual, or can't drive a manual?
On the practical front, doesn't matter, although the way the statement was made it does beg the question.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #26
invaderzim

Drives: 45th SS, '12 ducati 1199 on order
Quote:
As an ls3 owner I assure you we are not all like that.
invaderzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #27
FB3

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS LS3, BRM, NPP
I have always ordered performance cars with manual transmissions. I prefer to drive the car. Perhaps some autos may be slightly faster, but I don't race and hate auto transmissions except in SUV's etc.

However, I did own a VW CC with the double clutch auto in it and it was by far the best automatic transmission car that I have driven other than a friend's Porsche 911 many years ago with the triptonic transmission.

I drive a Camaro for the fun of it, and I'll be damned if I will slosh around with and automatic transmission.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #28
jdsblueray2013

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2ssrs Blue Ray
Send a message via Yahoo to jdsblueray2013
Yep, all you manual lovers will be a thing of the past, book it. Porsche same...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post
Not gonna happen. GM went with a 8 speed true automatic in the new Z06. Camaro will eventually get the same.
jdsblueray2013 is offline   Reply With Quote