Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #43
PistonsFan

Drives: 08 CTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
Who said anything about 3100 lbs? Where did you get that number? I said if the next stang has an IRS instead of the live axle, has similar power while weighing 500 lbs less priced similarly, and still has more content it would be trouble for Chevy.

The current SS weighs, what? 3800-3900 lbs? Current Mustang weighs 3600 lbs?

Maybe 500 lbs was on the generous side, but there is a clear weight advantage right now, and prices and power are about even. Both manufacturers have stated a desire to lessen curb weight for the next generation of their respective pony cars.

Call me skeptical on GM's claim, as the cars they produce in every class seem gregariously heavier than those cars in segments in which they compete.
Historically, that has been the case.

But, take a look at the new Alpha-based ATS that just launched. It's lighter than the competition at around 3300 lbs... for a 4 door luxury sports sedan.

PistonsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #44
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Here there are better deals on the dealer floor on Camaro, but I have never seen so many new model Mustangs on the street before. The new nose and tail must be a big hit.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #45
PistonsFan

Drives: 08 CTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Here there are better deals on the dealer floor on Camaro, but I have never seen so many new model Mustangs on the street before. The new nose and tail must be a big hit.
Couldn't be further form the truth.

There's actual data that can be publicly found. Check out TrueCar

Quick search and you'll find this:

2012 Mustang GT Premium = average of $5,043 in savings
2012 Mustang GT = average of $4,643 in savings
2012 Camaro 2SS = average of $551 in savings

(based on Metro Detroit dealers)
PistonsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #46
roorback

Drives: V8 permagrin
I believe that's 2 months in a row and Ford has been close for awhile. Chally making a hige push. Pony cars are all the rage at the moment.
roorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #47
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
The Ford 5.0 is a good Motor and is starting to shine. The Chevy 6.2 is good also but rumors are flying that Chevy is looking to downsize the base motor with a reworked 5.3 and tagging it a 327. The 5.3 is lighter can be made easily into a powerhouse, easily supercharge and turbo charged and is a proven maintenance free performer. The 5.3 was used in a variety of car from the 90s up to 2005 but was nowhere near setup to its capabilities. The SS Monte Carlo used this until the car was discontinued. I suspect the Gen 6 camaro which is to be smaller and lighter will use this as the base V8. These 5.3 motors are already being sold as crate motors for racing
How much lighter can it be? It's the same block.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #48
Kiss My SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
I saw a young guy today with a new 13 GT 5.0 Mustang, he was bobbing and weaving in and out of traffic and he cut over 2 lanes I guess to show his 5.0 power and almost hit the center lane divider and I told my GF, that car wont last 6 months with him behind the wheel.

It had the new tailight and front end and I particuarly didnt care for it much. When the Mustang came with that same body design on 2005 it was a absolute hit but 7 years later I beleive it has run its course...
Kiss My SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #49
tstanfa

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/IOM w/orange int.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
The Ford 5.0 is a good Motor and is starting to shine. The Chevy 6.2 is good also but rumors are flying that Chevy is looking to downsize the base motor with a reworked 5.3 and tagging it a 327. The 5.3 is lighter can be made easily into a powerhouse, easily supercharge and turbo charged and is a proven maintenance free performer. The 5.3 was used in a variety of car from the 90s up to 2005 but was nowhere near setup to its capabilities. The SS Monte Carlo used this until the car was discontinued. I suspect the Gen 6 camaro which is to be smaller and lighter will use this as the base V8. These 5.3 motors are already being sold as crate motors for racing
Chevy is actually working on a new generation of V8 and I've read that it will be displacing 5.5 liters, not sure what that works out to in cubic inches...I'm sure a smaller, more efficient V8 that produces as much, if not more power is in the Camaro's future, but probably not until the Gen 6 car.
tstanfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #50
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Call me skeptical on GM's claim, as the cars they produce in every class seem gregariously heavier than those cars in segments in which they compete.
Fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstanfa View Post
Chevy is actually working on a new generation of V8 and I've read that it will be displacing 5.5 liters, not sure what that works out to in cubic inches...I'm sure a smaller, more efficient V8 that produces as much, if not more power is in the Camaro's future, but probably not until the Gen 6 car.
No 5.5L. Gen Vs retain 5.3 and 6.2L displacements.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #51
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Fail.

No 5.5L. Gen Vs retain 5.3 and 6.2L displacements.
7.0L please?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #52
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
7.0L please?
Doubtful.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #53
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
The genreal needs to import some more of those hot Australian Holdens. This is a supercharged LS3 Comodore HSV Grand Sport. Same zeta frame as the Camaro. Its basically a Pontiac G8 with a ZL1 power train. Lets bring the pontiac badged holdens (G8 & GTO) back as bad ass chevys or buicks. Hell love to see Pontiac name plate again. Just a thought or two.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #54
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Fail.
C'mon. One car and I'm wrong? Is ATS even out yet? Even if it's not, I'll give you that.... and I'll come back w/ Sonic, Cruze, Malibu, Impala.... nearly every car, nearly every class, heavier than all other makes. You named only one car in one class, and once is luck.

Twice? That's a trend, three times is a pattern, more than that and it's obvious.

Look, I'm a Chevy guy through and through, but to claim what I posted about Chevy and GM being heavier as false is just flat out wrong and you know it.... You're far too smart to deny what I'm saying.

I hope I'm wrong about the next gen Camaro still being heavier than the competition based upon GM's history. Having said that, I secretly hope that I'm not wrong about that, so I can keep my 5th gen. If the next gen were beautiful like the 5th gen, and had better power to weight I would have to trade my 5th gen, and I don't ever wanna do that b/c I love her far too much to ever part w/ her.

So, you're wrong! Ok?

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #55
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
C'mon. One car and I'm wrong? Is ATS even out yet? Even if it's not, I'll give you that.... and I'll come back w/ Sonic, Cruze, Malibu, Impala.... nearly every car, nearly every class, heavier than all other makes. You named only one car in one class, and once is luck.

Twice? That's a trend, three times is a pattern, more than that and it's obvious.

Look, I'm a Chevy guy through and through, but to claim what I posted about Chevy and GM being heavier as false is just flat out wrong and you know it.... You're far too smart to deny what I'm saying.

I hope I'm wrong about the next gen Camaro still being heavier than the competition based upon GM's history. Having said that, I secretly hope that I'm not wrong about that, so I can keep my 5th gen. If the next gen were beautiful like the 5th gen, and had better power to weight I would have to trade my 5th gen, and I don't ever wanna do that b/c I love her far too much to ever part w/ her.

So, you're wrong! Ok?
Actually your incorrect, the context was the weight of the next gen Camaro. Since we know that the 6 gen Camaro is literally an ATS coupe with different styling and a Chevy badge, concerns about the next gen Camaro being over weight is abit silly. Heck since its a coupe it might be a couple of pounds lighter than the ATS sedan..
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #56
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Doubtful.
The 7.0L LS7 for the C6 Z06 was never intended from the start, a 6.4L 450BHP V-8 was planned based on the Gen II Viper GTS having 450BHP. they went with a 7.0L 500BHP LS7 when the Gen III Viper came out with 500BHP.

Gen V engines with VVT and direct injection will make more power so it comes down to if the 7.0L engine is needed.

If we are to go on the 3.6L non direct injected to 3.6L direct injection as far as to how much power the SBC will gain then. Pre direct injection 3.6L on the CTS packed 263BHP and currently that same engine in the same car makes 318BHP. The 3.6L actually makes 21% more horsepower then the non directly injected 3.6L engine. Based on that a 7.0L engine would make 611BHP (though the 263BHP engine had VVT and the 7.0L doesn't).

Although no power levels for Gen V engines have been shown, if GM needs a 600BHP engine and wanted it to be NA then we could see the 7.0L engine return.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote