Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-28-2020, 10:08 PM   #99
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty CC View Post
The fact is Ford sells tons of Mustangs and Dodge has the popular Challenger which leaves Chevy with a smaller final production numbers. With Tesla S model hard charging to 60 in 2.3 sec. the future of electric cars is bright and with Camaro slated to stop production soon I would hope they might consider a high powered electric Camaro. That would leave the present day track ready cars (Z/28, 1LE, ZL1?} possibly valuable as collectibles or as track day novelties. The other Camaros probably as Sunday driver garage queens will just be fun to have.
I look at it like this - motorcycles did not eliminate bicycle races. Cars did not eliminate horse racing. I don't think electric cars will ever eliminate combustion engine racing either.

Having said that, I don't see myself ever having the kind of interest in electric cars that I do in non-electrics. Yes, I do have an understanding of their function and abilities but I simply lack the interest in them for a variety of reasons.
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:19 PM   #100
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
The fact is Ford sells tons of Mustangs and Dodge has the popular Challenger which leaves Chevy with a smaller final production numbers. With Tesla S model hard charging to 60 in 2.3 sec. the future of electric cars is bright and with Camaro slated to stop production soon I would hope they might consider a high powered electric Camaro. That would leave the present day track ready cars (Z/28, 1LE, ZL1?} possibly valuable as collectibles or as track day novelties. The other Camaros probably as Sunday driver garage queens will just be fun to have.

I saw a guy on TV yesterday that took on of those cars that explodes when its rear ended, forget what they are called. He put two electric motors into it and got 7,8 seconds in the 1/8 mile.
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:23 PM   #101
BuddyLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial View Post
I look at it like this - motorcycles did not eliminate bicycle races. Cars did not eliminate horse racing. I don't think electric cars will ever eliminate combustion engine racing either.

Having said that, I don't see myself ever having the kind of interest in electric cars that I do in non-electrics. Yes, I do have an understanding of their function and abilities but I simply lack the interest in them for a variety of reasons.

Unlimited hydroplane for example. For many years they ran on WWIII fighter plane engines even into the 70s. Now Lycoming T-55, L-7 engine Vietnam era engines. There will always be a place for the v-6 and V8s.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:05 PM   #102
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
My point exactly these cars will have track days mainly with the electrics on the street. As an enthusiastic driver I would love to drive a fast electric too. They will and are phasing out ICE for practical use and they should as it suits the times but not our wishes. I just hope they don't make us MadMax it for fuel in the future...lol.... I am old enough to have seen changes.... And I am too old to be alive when these cars just may be collectible.
It really doesn’t suit our times as much as we are told in my opinion. There’s a reason there’s hardly any Tesla’s in the rural west. When you have to drive 100+ miles between towns with nothing in between, there’s really nothing practical other than good ole gasoline and diesel. Maybe in the big cities they have there place but the tech behind electric has a long ways to go before it can be implemented everywhere. I think hydrogen fuel cells have a better long term chance of survival over electric. Hell California doesn’t even have electricity to keep there air conditions and refrigerators running let alone there Tesla’s, but that’s another mess in itself.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:28 PM   #103
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Its been a little while since I was in this thread, but with the advent of electric cars slowly replacing the gas cars (or they will try), this could certainly make the 5th gen Camaro a classic. I feel that the state of automobiles is sad at the moment, and if the manufacturers do not improve and/or try to make cars desirable again, then the only thing that we may have left to look forward to are the classics.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:26 AM   #104
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
I feel that the state of automobiles is sad at the moment, and if the manufacturers do not improve and/or try to make cars desirable again, then the only thing that we may have left to look forward to are the classics.
I disagree. You may not like the current styling of the three pony cars but they are more powerful and track capable than ever before. All while offering plenty of creature comforts. Time will tell but I think we'll look back at this era of muscle/ pony cars (call them what you want) as the pinnacle of gas powered performance, because it is. The difference between now and the muscle car boom of the 60's is choice. You could stuff a 427 in almost any large or intermediate car from the factory.
The value of current sports/pony/muscle cars might increase when the equivalent ev is released. Show me a Camaro/Mustang/Challenger ev that performs, weighs and most importantly costs the same as the current offerings.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #105
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
I disagree. You may not like the current styling of the three pony cars but they are more powerful and track capable than ever before. All while offering plenty of creature comforts. Time will tell but I think we'll look back at this era of muscle/ pony cars (call them what you want) as the pinnacle of gas powered performance, because it is. The difference between now and the muscle car boom of the 60's is choice. You could stuff a 427 in almost any large or intermediate car from the factory.
The value of current sports/pony/muscle cars might increase when the equivalent ev is released. Show me a Camaro/Mustang/Challenger ev that performs, weighs and most importantly costs the same as the current offerings.
I never mentioned the pony cars in my statement; I was referring to most current automobiles in general. Perhaps I was misleading. This excludes Camaro, Mustang, Corvette and Challenger. I will be honest, in that even here I am a tad underwhelmed at the current designs. All of them are great in terms of performance.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:15 AM   #106
stickwiggler13

Drives: 2012 2SS Convertible
Low Low mile unmolested convertible ss will not lose value....
Period... https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying...cs-under-100k/

Last edited by stickwiggler13; 10-01-2020 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Added article
stickwiggler13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:18 AM   #107
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickwiggler13 View Post
Period...
correct. i dont think any real low milage stock 2ss will end up worthless.
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:31 AM   #108
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
Quote:
Period...
i just hit 20,000 on mine.
do you think i'll be alright?
2014 2SS/RS
Attached Images

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:42 AM   #109
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMADONNA View Post
i just hit 20,000 on mine.
do you think i'll be alright?
2014 2SS/RS
Probably.
But if i had those shifty looking homeless guys hanging around my place I'd for sure keep the garage door closed.

2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #110
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Period...
So right now you could sell it for sticker price?

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:50 AM   #111
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
Probably.
But if i had those shifty looking homeless guys hanging around my place I'd for sure keep the garage door closed.

LOL!
i'm always kinda shamed at that carwash with all the Range Rovers and Porsches.

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:12 AM   #112
BuddyLee

You should be okay from 20,000 up until you get to 200,000 miles. That's a lot of fun road time before you have to start replacing expensive parts. Get on that baby and ride it until you can ride no more.