Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-16-2020, 09:08 AM   #1
CoolStudio

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
Lightbulb 2013 Camaro LS V6 Tune Question

Greetings! I have a CAI and Kooks Catbacks installed on my V6 with 47K miles.

I am NOT mechanically inclined whatsoever. But in theory, I am pushing 341 HP according to tech specs and I enjoy improved gas mileage on the highway.

I am looking into installing IRIDIUM spark plugs to complete the tune. But, I don't want to be forced into using premium gasoline. I have been trying to sort through sales jargon on the web and getting confused.

I would greatly appreciate your expert advice based on your real-life experiences. If you can recommend a vendor who sponsors CAMARO5 I would happy to send them my business.

Ideally, I would like new spark plugs that give me a tiny bit of spunk and even better fuel economy on the highway.

What brand of spark plugs do you recommend for me AND should I upgrade the "cables" that connect them to my engine?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
CoolStudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:08 AM   #2
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolStudio View Post
Greetings! I have a CAI and Kooks Catbacks installed on my V6 with 47K miles.

I am NOT mechanically inclined whatsoever. But in theory, I am pushing 341 HP according to tech specs and I enjoy improved gas mileage on the highway.
Your modifications do not actually give you that much of a bump in HP. You still have your catalytic converters on your car, and that's the biggest (and really only) restriction in the v6 exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolStudio View Post
What brand of spark plugs do you recommend for me AND should I upgrade the "cables" that connect them to my engine?
You don't have enough modifications done to your car to switch away from stock. You don't need to replace the ignition coils unless one is defective. Stick with stock replacement plugs and leave your coils alone. The stock plugs are actually already iridium, so you aren't upgrading anything by buying iridium plugs.

Unless you boost your engine, or tune your car, run whatever gas you want in it. Your car has high and low octane timing tables and can run whichever you choose. I would recommend using 91/93 because the high-octane timing table is much better, but you don't NEED to.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:49 PM   #3
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I run Iridium plugs just cause I run nice stuff in my car. Biggest thing is tuning, as was said. If you want the car to feel a bit better, run 91 or 93 octane and the car will add timing until it sees knock. More power, you need high flow cats or catless downpipes, an upgraded throttle body, air intake scoop, etc. There's more you can do to eek out power from the 6, but it won't be big.

Swapping to a V8 rear end would be a big mechanical jump and would help the seat of the pants feel, but you'd lose some of your 2LS gas mileage.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:06 PM   #4
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Just so you know, this is the LLT V6 section. You have a LFX V6. No harm. The bigger issue is you have a fairly sophisticated engine that requires some rather expensive items to get modest HP gains. My advice is to replace any worn items with factory original components as needed. There has been plenty of discussions in other threads about fuel selection. I think you'll only see minimal gains from using 91 octane premium if your car has not been specifically tuned for it. I run mid-grade 89 in the summer to stave off pinging. Enjoy your cool ride for what it is. Don't tinker with it excessively. If you want more "spunk" save your hard earned coin and buy a decent SS with a V8.
Attached Images

Last edited by ariZona28; 06-17-2020 at 01:44 AM.
ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:47 AM   #5
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
You can remove the secondary cats, they are not monitored. I am averaging
25.5 MPG now. Best to just gut them, rather than cut them off. I cut mine off
because one was already gutted, and I had someone on hand to weld pipes in.
So, I had to remove the other side, since the LH side was already gutted.

You can take the down-pipes off, and knock out the cat material. If you do the
front cats too, you will need spacers on your downstream O2 sensors. Mine are
3" deep, one 2" spacer would not do it.

DRIVER SIDE:

PASSENGER SIDE:

SO CLOSE (RH):

NO Material in the Driver Side 2ndary Cat:

What it's supposed to look like (Passenger Side):

RESULT:

Before I had to go 3" deep with the spacers to keep the P0430 and P0420 Off.

Yes, you can tune them out, but in PA, you can't have more than one sensor
in a "Not Ready" status, or it fails emissions.

All the downstream sensors do is monitor the primary cats. When they clog, or
flow too much, they set the Inefficiency Codes.

I am still going to replace that with OE Catted pipes if I can find a set within a 2-hour
drive of me...
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote