#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-03-2022, 06:22 AM   #1
zig_zag
2SS ickle

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE, 2022 2SS 1LE
ARH (American Racing Headers system)

Anyone have any experience with this system not just the headers but the whole system stem to stern ...??? including Cats is the 1-7/8 the way to go or 2 inch, fitment, sound, ease to install, approx cost to instal if sent to shop, and will it void a warranty ...???

CAMARO V8 ZL1/1LE FULL SYSTEM (QUAD TIPS) 2012-UP
Dimensions: 1-7/8" x 3"
Catalytic Converter?: With Cats

2022 ZL1 black/black, MT, (SOLD)
2023 C8 Corvette, 2LT / Amplify Orange, Z51(SOLD)
zig_zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:06 AM   #2
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
I have their 2" headers into their catless long system going to Stainless works mufflers. Recently i added Magnaflow Bullet style mufflers after the X to quiet it down some. Have had to deal with some leaks, but that could be from the shop that installed it. Even though i dont see leaks now, still sounds like one but 2 different shops said Stainless headers can sound like that. Not sure how true that is. I think it will depend on your dealer if u will lose ur warranty. If u dont touch the tune you may be able to get by, but as u may know, once u touch the tune that ends any warranty. Their headers and system do have a good fit..no rub issues as some other brands have caused.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:31 AM   #3
zig_zag
2SS ickle

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE, 2022 2SS 1LE
Thanks for quick reply, originally wasn't going to do anything. But this suitcase is just to much, even though I painted it (so it's not in your face as much) the whole look of it is Boob'ish.

My problem is the enormous amounts of money for some of these systems that are clearly 2/3's overpriced from what the manufacture's cost really is. Corsa, Borla - with Borla being the worst cashing out on their name sake. (Performance gains equal zero - this is about sound only)...

The AWE system TRACK version was my go to but it just looks like a straight pipe solution which eventually ends up being obnoxious and annoying. So my thought was if I'm spending $3K maybe this is the way to go as it takes care of the headers all in the same swoop, but doesn't sound from your post like your really happy. If you've had to add in different other components as time passed that's just not something I want to deal with. ����

2022 ZL1 black/black, MT, (SOLD)
2023 C8 Corvette, 2LT / Amplify Orange, Z51(SOLD)
zig_zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:52 AM   #4
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
If you are concerned with cost or bang for buck, headers and no tune is not your solution.

Get an axleback exhaust that provides the tone or sound you like, and call it a day until youre ready to tune the car to be able to realize the benefit of headers and other mods.

A member here JSH, I think, has a real nice ZLE built from Hennessey and i think he has the ARH full system. Hopefully he can give you some feedback on how he likes it.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:48 AM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
If you go with headers, keep the stock suitcase.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:09 AM   #6
Jeauxy

Drives: 19' SW ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Ok so I have been debating this as well. Could you fill me in (if you don't mind), on why keeping the stock suitcase is a beneficial route to take if you go just headers?

I've seen opinions back and forth saying to keep it and to not keep it and go full exhaust.
Jeauxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:09 AM   #7
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeauxy View Post
Ok so I have been debating this as well. Could you fill me in (if you don't mind), on why keeping the stock suitcase is a beneficial route to take if you go just headers?

I've seen opinions back and forth saying to keep it and to not keep it and go full exhaust.
I think he recommends this because most people are not aware how loud the exhaust becomes when you add headers, a lot of the aftermarket systems are great until you add headers, and then it is too loud for a lot of people's taste.

Stock suitcase is the quietest option, best to start there and if still not loud enough you can add a new axleback etc.

Going the other way has caused lots of regret.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:26 PM   #8
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
I'm not a sponsor so I have to be careful with these type of posts but I import titanium Motorcycle exhausts for an Australian Manufacturer for about 6 years now. They're interested in fabbing a Titanium Exhaust for the ZL1 and I'm in talks to have one made.

For the money I feel that $3.5k+ for a steel system is a bit ridiculous. We can probably do T1 titanium for less than that.
NG329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:28 PM   #9
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
This is what I did and the car sounds great! It's just the right amount of "Loud" and it can actually be driven mellow. You can juuuuuuust have a convo in the car still.

Plus the Suitcase is supposed to help aerodynamics.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:32 PM   #10
ST1LE

The below thread talks a lot about this, and also ends with a great solution which is a Jones X-Pipe mid-muffler that helps quiet down the exhaust for people who have added headers and wanted to tame it down.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576096

OP - You're right the cost of exhaust is ridiculous now. That isnt going to change though, so I decided to just accept it and make sure I like whatever I spend money on.

Like you, I dont love the stock suitcase, but for me it is sound and not looks. When I get my car next year I plan to either add the Borla S-Type Axleback marketed for the SS(yes it fits the ZL1 pefectly) or AWE's touring edition axle-back exhaust. AWE doesnt offer valves, but it is $1,000 cheaper at $1400 and has NO drone, it's a great option.

I will add headers later once I have put 5k miles or so and ready to tune the car, but I already know without a doubt I will need to add the mid-muffler at the same time as the headers.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:34 PM   #11
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
This is what I did and the car sounds great! It's just the right amount of "Loud" and it can actually be driven mellow. You can juuuuuuust have a convo in the car still.

Plus the Suitcase is supposed to help aerodynamics.
That combo really does sound great, especially with high flow cats.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:38 PM   #12
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
That combo really does sound great, especially with high flow cats.
I might have some 3rd person track clips on the way from my event this past Sunday. I'm waiting for someone to send me the clips. That'll give a good indication of how the car sounds at full song.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:39 PM   #13
NG329

Quote:
The below thread talks a lot about this, and also ends with a great solution which is a Jones X-Pipe mid-muffler that helps quiet down the exhaust for people who have added headers and wanted to tame it down.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576096

OP - You're right the cost of exhaust is ridiculous now. That isnt going to change though, so I decided to just accept it and make sure I like whatever I spend money on.

Like you, I dont love the stock suitcase, but for me it is sound and not looks. When I get my car next year I plan to either add the Borla S-Type Axleback marketed for the SS(yes it fits the ZL1 pefectly) or AWE's touring edition axle-back exhaust. AWE doesnt offer valves, but it is $1,000 cheaper at $1400 and has NO drone, it's a great option.

I will add headers later once I have put 5k miles or so and ready to tune the car, but I already know without a doubt I will need to add the mid-muffler at the same time as the headers.
The thing that scares me about AWE is that even the Touring version might be a tad loud. I just don't want to do that to my neighbors since I live in the sticks.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:42 PM   #14
Jeauxy

Drives: 19' SW ZLE
Quote:
I think he recommends this because most people are not aware how loud the exhaust becomes when you add headers, a lot of the aftermarket systems are great until you add headers, and then it is too loud for a lot of people's taste.

Stock suitcase is the quietest option, best to start there and if still not loud enough you can add a new axleback etc.

Going the other way has caused lots of regret.
Ahh ok, good to know. Thank you for the clarification! I will probably do that then and go LTs then see how loud it is.

Waiting on CSP to get their 2" LTs and ultra cats back in stock in September
Jeauxy is offline   Reply With Quote