Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #1
jailcop064

Drives: 2014 Camaro RS 2LT Convertable
Stupid Top Down Question

I looked and can't find an answer to this question. Is it OK to drive with the top down at highway speeds. I noticed a lot of movement from the top because of the wind and wondered if this is OK. I have a tonneau cover but don't always put it on because I'm not going that far and don't want to leave the top down when parked. Taking the cover on and off is a pain for short trips.
jailcop064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #2
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Yes you will be fine

Ryan B.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
partlowr

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
I find it annoying as hell, I've owned BMW and Mercedes convertibles in the past and they are solid and planted the one on my Camaro is so annoying. I'm afraid to put my tonneau cover on for fear it will blow away.

Tha being said, what speeds can the factory tonneau sustain without fear of losing it?
Old 04-18-2017, 11:48 AM   #4
jailcop064

Drives: 2014 Camaro RS 2LT Convertable
Quote:
Originally Posted by partlowr View Post
I find it annoying as hell, I've owned BMW and Mercedes convertibles in the past and they are solid and planted the one on my Camaro is so annoying. I'm afraid to put my tonneau cover on for fear it will blow away.

Tha being said, what speeds can the factory tonneau sustain without fear of losing it?
My tonneau cover goes on tight. Don't think it would rip off at any speed that's why I don't use it most of the time. To hard to take on and of for short trips.
jailcop064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #5
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
I don't use my tonneau cover when going under 55 but if I plan on, I will use the cover. The very first time I installed it incorrectly and it was flopping all over the place but once I fixed that, it's very snug and I have no fear using it on the highway at faster speeds.

joe...
Old 04-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #6
partlowr

Thanks for the input guys. I have read on here that the older factory tonneau covers have a different fastener style, are those any less secure? I assume since my car is a 2011 it has the older style however I have never installed it and neither did the previous owner because its wrapped in sealed poly bags and all the labels and stuff are still on it. I am not all that concerned with the difficulty of installing the tonneau because this is not a daily driver and the car is always garage kept, the car pretty much just sits in my garage with the top down. I am trying not to use the roof up/down too much because I am scared as hell about the 5th bow issue on these older verts. My car is literally showroom new condition, just turned 6,000 miles on it this weekend but I am still worried about the 5th bow issue.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
Tom And Cheryl

Drives: 2013 SS Convertible, ThumperII
I have drove at highway speeds since the day we got ours with and without the cover. I've never even seen the cover move and I do use the cover about 50% of the time.
Tom And Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #8
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Stupid Top Down Question

Quote:

Do you have the little elastic clips on yours? I have hit close to triple digits (legally) and it didn't move

Ryan B.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:02 AM   #9
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. I have read on here that the older factory tonneau covers have a different fastener style, are those any less secure? I assume since my car is a 2011 it has the older style however I have never installed it and neither did the previous owner because its wrapped in sealed poly bags and all the labels and stuff are still on it. I am not all that concerned with the difficulty of installing the tonneau because this is not a daily driver and the car is always garage kept, the car pretty much just sits in my garage with the top down. I am trying not to use the roof up/down too much because I am scared as hell about the 5th bow issue on these older verts. My car is literally showroom new condition, just turned 6,000 miles on it this weekend but I am still worried about the 5th bow issue.
Why did you by a vert in the first place? If your car is going to be a trophy, just drain the oil and hang it on the wall. Seriously, if you are that "scared" about your car, maybe you bought the wrong car.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #10
partlowr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin14 View Post
Why did you by a vert in the first place? If your car is going to be a trophy, just drain the oil and hang it on the wall. Seriously, if you are that "scared" about your car, maybe you bought the wrong car.
Excuse me, "scared" and "trophy"??? I am not scared of anything, I've already had the car at the drag strip and I'm looking into getting a cage installed for road course track days, how often do you track yours tough guy? Just because I own 3 other(very nice) vehicles and choose not to drive this one in the rain doesn't make it a garage queen. Don't be such a hater just because I can keep mine garaged and out of the elements and not rack up a shit ton of miles doing stupid shit like running to the grocery store and using it like a daily commuter. I beat the snot out of the Camaro when it gets driven, I just don't want to have to deal with the dreaded 5th bow issue that seems to be all too common on the early verts if I don't have to.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #11
partlowr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
Do you have the little elastic clips on yours? I have hit close to triple digits (legally) and it didn't move
I will have to take a look at my fasteners, I have not even opened the tonneau cover, like I said it's still in the sealed poly bags inside the storage cases. Thanks for your input, and glad to hear they are good up to triple digit speeds.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:44 AM   #12
oldschoolkat

Drives: 2013 SS Camaro
It will b fine...been over 80mph without cover on...it does flap a lot

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
oldschoolkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #13
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
I have a 2011 convertible with the original tonneau style cover and I have no issues with it coming off at high speeds or flapping. You must ensure that you push down and secure each end over the post. Simple as long as you do it right.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #14
Mr V

Drives: 2011 VR SS Vert
Mine is a 2011 so I have the original plastic clips, no bungies. I have never had it come off but have had some movement. It's better when the windows are up. Without the cover on the top seems to move too much for my taste, so I usually always have the cover on. Was thinking about doing the mod to add the bungies or maybe the velcro mod. You can find videos of covers that have come off, at least on the plastic clip style. I recently installed the wind restrictor but have not really been able to tell yet the affect on the cover/top. I am keeping my fingers crossed as so far no top issues. Some creasing around the back windows but no rubbing that I can tell. I usually put the top up when not driving it. I live next to a peat farm and even with everything closed we still get dirt in the garage and windows on windy days. If I did not have that to deal with maybe leave it down. But in Minnesota if I drive it to work can be a little chilly in the morning until we hit the June-Aug period so that has something to do with it too. As long as it is close to 60 I can always turn the heater on with the top down.
Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote