Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
Don2012

Drives: Non
Unhappy Camaro LS V6 engine swap (failed engine)

Hi everyone this is going to be one of those long boring posts. Warned in advance But you can skip to where it says "here"

So a little quick background before we start, I have a 2010 Camaro V6 that I traded to for my Porsche Boxster all in all got t with 105k miles and knew it needed some work.

I had the timing done on it with that power steering pump/ gaskets full job, it was a pain in the .... time money patience. Had a lot of Sensors replaced as well.
Drove it to Ohio and back was perfect expect for a code for vent solenoid.

Had the abs stability track tc lights turn on one day.. discovered the abs pump failed... took it to my new mechanic he replaced the abs pump, wheel sensors, hub bearings. Still had the lights until the other day I was helping him install fog lights found a disconnected body module plug. And it didn't come on that was day before yesterday Got exhaust cutouts and a cold air intake. Oil changed.

Started the car last night from my mechinics place at 4 in the morning we heard a valve tapping not so bad... starting driving it my way a hour back home not even half way And abs/ track all the lights come up ..and at that time I just assumed the problem wasn't fixed before which probably was the case but..

Couple miles later I took the exit to the expressway I hear loud rattle getting louder then a bang not too loud all kinds of knocking rattle. Here me freaking out going 40.

At this point I left off the gas completely and pulled over and shut it off. Pushed it back as I was at the white part which is the merge lane after exit Anyway 5 am in the morning my mechinic wasn't home yet I called him he came.

Waited a hour on the road battery died/ we jumped it just to hear or so he could hear it. Starting rattling.. shut it off. He says it sounds like a rod bearing spun, going to do a teardown soon hopefully.

#HERE
Car has about 110k miles on it, Rod bearing spun.. tear down soon
Can't afford to replace the engine or rebuilt it.

So... here I am asking what are the possible V6 engine swaps that can be done? My friend works at a auto recyclers place so I am trying to get a another LLT engine atleast the block from a cad sts/cts or something with the LLT engine.

Out of pocket the LLT engine is about 3000 for a engine with 60k miles and 2600-2800 for 75k miles

Any advises or suggestions at this point looking for cheaper option then buying a 3k engine, last resort ill sell my Mountaineer and buy a used engine LLT.

Car has a few modifications but nothing that would cause a rod bearing to spun.
It ran great after the timing Job...already spent over 3k on this car maybe not seem like a lot but ..

110k miles is too early for these engines too be failing.

Thanks for reading !!
Any ideas ?

Last edited by Don2012; 02-26-2017 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Additions
Don2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:35 AM   #2
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
Yeah 110K is unreal, if you had oil changed every 5K & didn't beat the hell out of it. get a 2013 V6 323HP, if you can swing it. Personal loan if car is paid off.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:40 PM   #3
Don2012

Car is paid off. In my ownership I used full synthetic oil. Pretty sure it was beat up at some point in its life , it's a camaro, had like 2 owners before me.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Sorry for your lose. I'm still stuck on you trading a Porsche Boxster for the Camaro1ls.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I have wondered this too. Not because I need an engine swap in my car but for curiosity. What goes int an engine swap besides the obvious mechanical stuff? Does it require some sort of electronic mod, computer flash or something else? It's like not old muscle cars that you could swap engines every other week without electronic controls.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:26 PM   #6
Don2012

yeah i was going to do all black and yellow leather seats and yellow decals all over make it a nice bumble bee bought all the parts.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:32 PM   #7
Don2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
Sorry for your lose. I'm still stuck on you trading a Porsche Boxster for the Camaro1ls.
Thanks ....

it was supposed to be a even trade, Porsche had a salvage title i told the owner and it was perfect but he didnt tell me that the camaro was in a accident had a salvage title as well and had all sorts of electrical/abs/ wiring issues. ..

.. at i point i didnt care about the title but he should told me that the engine had problems, timing was bad...finally blew etc
Old 02-27-2017, 09:18 AM   #8
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Would be a majorly over complicated swap. Throw a used V6 in there and dump it on Craigslist. Or sell it as is to someone that wants to build a race car. Plenty of people out there looking for dirt cheap rollers to build either road race cars or drag cars out of.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #9
Orange skid mark
Just an average Dude

Drives: 2015 1LT Grey w/Orange Rally Stripe
I would not even bother with a used engine any way. You never know what that engine has been through. I would go straight for a GM short block of the same engine.

I know that doesn't fix your cash issues but fix it right or you are sure to pay the price later.... or sell it as a roller for a loss.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:45 AM   #10
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
If you have the money and time, build at sweet track car.

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:47 AM   #11
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
With a bad engine and salvage title, I'd try to unload the car and start fresh.

Unless you get a new / very low mileage GM installed engine WITH A WARRANTY (will they even warranty an engine in a vehicle with a salvage title?) and you plan on keeping it for a long time, you're always going to be behind the 8 ball with this car.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #12
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
either unload it or put a salvage LLT engine in it and sell it. That way you have no problems hooking up the electrics, computer etc. I would think you would be able to recover the money spent on the salvage engine by then selling the car.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:45 PM   #13
Don2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbubbaklein View Post
either unload it or put a salvage LLT engine in it and sell it. That way you have no problems hooking up the electrics, computer etc. I would think you would be able to recover the money spent on the salvage engine by then selling the car.
True i am trying to find a low miles engine, drive it for a little bit and sell it. already put in money for customizations and i didn't even drive it 100 miles with them... besides i am not gonna get my money out of it as is right now
Old 02-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #14
Don2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange skid mark View Post
I would not even bother with a used engine any way. You never know what that engine has been through. I would go straight for a GM short block of the same engine.

I know that doesn't fix your cash issues but fix it right or you are sure to pay the price later.... or sell it as a roller for a loss.
yeah...New crate ones are really expensive and cant afford that.. deciding if i should sell my suv and drop a engine in it .