Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-02-2015, 02:55 AM   #113
Inferno2SS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
ATS Coupe 2.0 Turbo = 3411 lbs RWD
ATS Coupe v6 = 3530 lbs RWD
ATS Sedan v6 = 3461 lbs RWD

The Coupe also costs a bit more then the sedan for some reason and has almost a 50/50 weight distribution which is nice. I just traded in my Camaro for an ATS Coupe, I needed something that was AWD and after driving the Lexus 350, BM4 series and the Cadillac the decision was pretty easy for me. The size of the interior of the ATS actually reminds me quite a bit of the Camaro, only there is a bit less leg room in the back and more headroom in the front. My head would just hit the top of the sun roof in the Camaro, where I have a few inches clearance with the sun roof in my ATS.

It really is a fun car to drive, I cant wait to see where Chevy takes the Camaro the next 2 years.

Last edited by Inferno2SS; 01-02-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Inferno2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #114
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno2SS View Post
ATS Coupe v4 = 3411 lbs RWD
ATS Coupe v6 = 3530 lbs RWD
ATS Sedan v6 = 3461 lbs RWD

The Coupe also costs a bit more then the sedan for some reason and has almost a 50/50 weight distribution which is nice. I just traded in my Camaro for an ATS Coupe, I needed something that was AWD and after driving the Lexus 350, BM4 series and the Cadillac the decision was pretty easy for me. The size of the interior of the ATS actually reminds me quite a bit of the Camaro, only there is a bit less leg room in the back and more headroom in the front. My head would just hit the top of the sun roof in the Camaro, where I have a few inches clearance with the sun roof in my ATS.

It really is a fun car to drive, I cant wait to see where Chevy takes the Camaro the next 2 years.
You should add the weight of the turbo 4 and the cts-v.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:00 PM   #115
Inferno2SS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
You should add the weight of the turbo 4 and the cts-v.
Sorry the v4 on the Coupe is the turbo, they dont offer a non turbo option on the coupe, just the 2.0L Turbo.
Inferno2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #116
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Honestly I'm a bit surprised the V6 coupe weighs that much more than the Turbo4 coupe. Is the engine with the turbo that much lighter? Got to be more to it than that. Does the V6 have magnetic ride while the T4 doesn't? Sure the V6 makes more top end HP, but the Turbo 4 makes more torque, so I don't see why the V6 would need beefier drivetrain components.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #117
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Catch the latest Mark Reuss interview on this weekend's Autoline Detroit, on PBS.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:10 PM   #118
BigShow1960
BigShow

Drives: 2017 1 Camaro + Chevy Avalanche
http://www.autoline.tv/show/1901?play
BigShow1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:47 AM   #119
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShow1960 View Post
Reuss: "The Volt and the CTS-V will be shown in Detroit.. and there'll be a couple of other surprises that'll be REALLY exciting."
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:26 AM   #120
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShow1960 View Post
That was an awesome interview.

1) post bankruptcy, the engineering mindset has changed from designing to compete to designing to win. (There is hope BHobbs )

2) previously, 25% of the engineering team worked on cost reduction of existing designs. Disrupted vendors, quality, etc to save on a soon to be obsolete cars. No longer do this. Lessons learned are transferred to the next design. Quality improves, engineers are more satisfied with their work

3) twice said there would be other big surprises at Detroit show. The second references came as part of the Volt discussion suggesting there will be other green tech or another hubrid. Said the mindset of the younger generation is in areas of sustainability. Could this mean a Camaro EV or Hybrid to appeal to this group?

4) at very end, asked about the Zora name being trademarked and the mid engine. Nervously grabbed his cup, and then avoided answering.

Long but very worth watching

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #121
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
There's been rumors of a Volt CUV for months now.

Also D2XX Cruze needs revealed. GM's been chatty about E2XX Malibu but it'd be too early for that.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #122
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
There was also a lot of discussion about recalls and stopping production once a problem surfaces. They sound committed to taking on problems early rather than after "100,000" autos have been produced.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #123
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
lt1 with magnetic ride.
aluminium panels /plastic everywhere to cut down weight..by 2-300lbs..

the 4th gen had plastic fenders/doors and fiberglass hoods.. still decent weight.
There are reasons the plastic (RIM) is on Corvette only. GM used composite fenders on a lot of cars (not well known, but GM never gets credit). But there are concerns with it. Think Saturn door gaps on a cold day. YIKES!

And if you want aluminium? Get ready for a more expensive car. There is a reason why the CTS has all aluminum doors and the ATS doesn't. And speaking of GM not getting credit, GM was first if not close to first in aluminium liftgates on the Trailblazer and Tahoe/Yukon. It was eliminated for cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post

1) post bankruptcy, the engineering mindset has changed from designing to compete to designing to win. (There is hope BHobbs )

2) previously, 25% of the engineering team worked on cost reduction of existing designs. Disrupted vendors, quality, etc to save on a soon to be obsolete cars. No longer do this. Lessons learned are transferred to the next design. Quality improves, engineers are more satisfied with their work

3) twice said there would be other big surprises at Detroit show. The second references came as part of the Volt discussion suggesting there will be other green tech or another hubrid. Said the mindset of the younger generation is in areas of sustainability. Could this mean a Camaro EV or Hybrid to appeal to this group?

4) at very end, asked about the Zora name being trademarked and the mid engine. Nervously grabbed his cup, and then avoided answering.

Long but very worth watching
Having worked there up to and just past the bankruptcy, let me clarify Mr. Reuss PR comments. Engineers never engineered to be competitive. Engineers did the best they could with the content and cost structure for a program which engineers don't decide. Program Management makes those calls. But it sounds better the way he said it from PR standpoint.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:42 PM   #124
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post

I have no doubt GM engineers are extremely capable but they are also limited by what GM allows them to do. The Z/28 is an example of what happens when they give their engineers a lot more room to work. It's also the result of them having the LS7 at their disposal.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #125
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
And if you want aluminium? Get ready for a more expensive car. There is a reason why the CTS has all aluminum doors and the ATS doesn't.

Having worked there up to and just past the bankruptcy, let me clarify Mr. Reuss PR comments. Engineers never engineered to be competitive. Engineers did the best they could with the content and cost structure for a program which engineers don't decide. Program Management makes those calls. But it sounds better the way he said it from PR standpoint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I have no doubt GM engineers are extremely capable but they are also limited by what GM allows them to do. The Z/28 is an example of what happens when they give their engineers a lot more room to work. It's also the result of them having the LS7 at their disposal.
The world (and GM) can't handle too many $75K niche vehicles. You can have "unlimited engineering" (e.g. Z/28) and you can have volume @ a predetermined price point with very good engineering (ATS), but at some point all that "new-age stuff" has to be paid for.

Not an easy task, given the current market's fearsome competition. And no room for serious mis-steps.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote