Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-10-2016, 01:17 PM   #1
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
2016 SS with Direct Injection?

Anyone have one with high mileage yet? What can be expected regarding top end problems with gunk as the miles add up? Will they eventually experience performance issues and need an expensive top end cleaning?
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
Boilermaker128

Drives: 2010 CobaltSSTC
You won't know for a LONG time with DI'S. Highway driving is better for a DI vehicle so look for the ones that get driven short trips, use cheap gas, let oil changes go extra long, use shitty oil, high load low gear driving, etc. My DI has 252,000km and I don't notice any difference in mpg or power, never used a catch can or walnut blasting/sea foam brush cleaning. But a walnut blast is only about 5 hours/15 beers and $100 in materials on an LNF if need be.
Boilermaker128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #3
Hyper16
A Heartbeat Away.........

Drives: Not As Fast As I Would Like To
Hasn't this same engine been in Corvettes for a few years? Maybe a Corvette owner could answer.
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

The problem with this world is stupidity.
I'm not saying there should be penalties for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Hyper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
This is from Consumer Reports.
So what’s up with direct injection?
First, a primer on how it works: By injecting gas*oline at high pressure directly into the engine’s combustion chamber, direct injection more precisely measures fuel than conventional fuel-injection systems or old-time carburetors.

The result is more complete combustion and cooler cylinder temperatures that enable a higher compression ratio for greater efficiency and power. Engine technology supplier Bosch says that direct injection can return a 15 percent gain in fuel economy while boosting low-end torque as much as 50 percent.

Combining direct injection with other technologies—such as turbocharging—can deliver even greater gains in economy and performance. That in turn enables carmakers to use smaller displacement engines, resulting in an efficiency snowball effect. Many automakers are marketing DI as pro*viding fuel economy that’s almost as good as a hybrid’s, and with better performance—but without the $4,000 hybrid premium.

Although the breakthrough seems like a dream come true, an unwanted side effect has been emerging. Letter writers have complained to Consumer Reports and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that over time DI can lead to clogged fuel systems and engine carbon buildup. The result can be engine hesitation and a loss of power—and the need for expensive repairs.

Some carmakers, including BMW and Kia, have issued technical service bulletins (TSBs) to their dealers recommending that drivers use only name-brand detergent gasoline—without ethanol additives—and that they periodically add a fuel-system cleaner when they refuel. (A TSB is an alert that the automaker sends to dealers to warn about ongoing problems with individual models and how to fix them. It may allow dealers to make repairs at little or no cost to the customer as a goodwill gesture.)

Other automakers have devised an engineering fix that works while the car is oper*ating. It involves modifying the engine to spray a small amount of fuel directly onto the valves to help keep them clean.

It’s important to note that not all cars with direct injection experience long-term problems. But if your engine stumbles more than it used to, or it suddenly lacks power, ask your dealer about it. A fix may be available, and you may not have to pay for it.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #5
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker128 View Post
You won't know for a LONG time with DI'S. Highway driving is better for a DI vehicle so look for the ones that get driven short trips, use cheap gas, let oil changes go extra long, use shitty oil, high load low gear driving, etc. My DI has 252,000km and I don't notice any difference in mpg or power, never used a catch can or walnut blasting/sea foam brush cleaning. But a walnut blast is only about 5 hours/15 beers and $100 in materials on an LNF if need be.
I think a before dyno and after that mileage (kilometerage?) dyno would be a better indicator.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:37 PM   #6
Boilermaker128

Drives: 2010 CobaltSSTC
Too late for me now but it is a good idea. Maybe I can do a Dyno, walnut blast, dyno. But I'm working 80 hour weeks for the next two months, maybe after Christmas. Point is it's not noticeable enough for an owner to worry too much about, it can be fixed, with walnut goodness.
Boilermaker128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:47 AM   #7
Ernest T

Drives: 2014 RS
I own a 2015 C7 and there are never ending discussions on the Corvette forum about direct injection and the necessity of a catch can to eliminate valve train gunk buildup. The bottom line is there are several members with over 100K on their cars already and no performance issues. No one has removed the heads on their cars to look at the build up though. I would assume that GM ran the engines for a very long time and then disassembled them to do wear measurements when the engine was in development. I think they would have addressed any gunk build up then. GM says no catch can needed on a C7, but doesn't the Camaros have a catch can stock?
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:17 PM   #8
Hyper16
A Heartbeat Away.........

Drives: Not As Fast As I Would Like To
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
I own a 2015 C7 and there are never ending discussions on the Corvette forum about direct injection and the necessity of a catch can to eliminate valve train gunk buildup. The bottom line is there are several members with over 100K on their cars already and no performance issues. No one has removed the heads on their cars to look at the build up though. I would assume that GM ran the engines for a very long time and then disassembled them to do wear measurements when the engine was in development. I think they would have addressed any gunk build up then. GM says no catch can needed on a C7, but doesn't the Camaros have a catch can stock?
No, not stock but a lot of folks are adding them.
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

The problem with this world is stupidity.
I'm not saying there should be penalties for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Hyper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:40 PM   #9
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper16 View Post
No, not stock but a lot of folks are adding them.
It's a shame something so simple voids the warranty
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:44 PM   #10
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whis View Post
It's a shame something so simple voids the warranty
It voids the warranty?

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #11
MovieGuy

This is an interesting article
http://www.underhoodservice.com/dire...rbon-deposits/

Life after retirement
Old 09-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #12
cellsafemode

A dealer can say anything is "voiding the warranty". Whether you press the issue or not is up to you because it it gets to a court, they have to prove that your modification caused the problem and good luck proving that a in-line can caused oil blow by to occur upstream of the can greater than if it hadn't been there. The physics just doesn't work that way.

I think many publications are saying to just treat your car to valve cleaner once a year and you'll be fine. Something like seafoam or other intake valve cleaners should do the trick.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:41 PM   #13
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Per several threads on the Corvette Forum GM will void the powertrain warranty for any Corvette presenting with engine problems and a catch can is installed or evidence of a catch can had been installed. These threads arise when a forum member posts the power train warranty voided for engine failure and the presence of a catch can is detected.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #14
MovieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
A dealer can say anything is "voiding the warranty". Whether you press the issue or not is up to you because it it gets to a court, they have to prove that your modification caused the problem and good luck proving that a in-line can caused oil blow by to occur upstream of the can greater than if it hadn't been there. The physics just doesn't work that way.

I think many publications are saying to just treat your car to valve cleaner once a year and you'll be fine. Something like seafoam or other intake valve cleaners should do the trick.
Where do you apply the valve cleaner?

Life after retirement