Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-29-2015, 12:40 PM   #15
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
How about not leaving valuable stuff in-view (or in the car, period), and always locking your doors? Lesson learned? I know you don't want us to talk about that, but it's the easiest and cheapest solution to crimes of opportunity.
yeah, no shit, dude. Pretty sure I made that clear in my first post....Thank you for stating the obvious.

Now, do you have anything productive to add to the conversation that is in regards to options for security cams? Because, frankly, even if my shit is locked up tight, I still want a picture of whoever the ****er is that tried to open my door.......
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #16
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post
So, walked outside this morning, and my car had been gone through.

Am now short my 9500ix detector, and a $300 phone that I used for Torque app...

No other damage, and I think they just tugged on the door to see if it was unlocked. I must have left it unsecured last night. Yes, I know - Stupid me, but let's not debate that.

Anyone have suggestions for home security cam/DVR setups? I'm hoping to keep it under 500 for a setup and couple of cams. Would prefer wireless, but willing to go wired.

What do you use?!
I live in an apartment, my daughter's window faces the parking lot. Soooo. I have two wireless cameras set up, one for the living room and one for the parking lot. This is how we got video of someone doing the exact same thing to my wife's car.

When the police saw the video, they went all out, dusted for finger prints, posted it online. shared it around the news stations. Still haven't caught the dude, but eventually he'll get hauled in for something else and be tagged for this as well.

My father bought an outdoor version of the camera I bought. He had to hard-wire it though because his wi-fi router sucks and it wasn't picking up a good signal and strangling the bandwidth.

It helps to have a computer acting as a server to record video 24/7. I have a HTPC I built that I also use to record the video, it dumps the old video after 200 gigs or so unless I tag it because something has happened, and it's motion activated.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:12 PM   #17
Phail

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 IOM
I never lock my car - just means I'll have a window to replace if they do want to look through it.

Expensive shit comes inside.

Glad to hear some people have police helping out - I had video evidence, visible fingerprints on the window they popped out to get in, and the cops here didnt even lift them or ask for a copy of the video - just asked what was stolen, and said they would keep and eye out (ya right).
To busy pulling me over for 58 in a 50 to catch anyone, useless sobs.
Phail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:17 PM   #18
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Please boobytrap your car door with claymore
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:25 PM   #19
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
yeah, no shit, dude. Pretty sure I made that clear in my first post....Thank you for stating the obvious.

Now, do you have anything productive to add to the conversation that is in regards to options for security cams? Because, frankly, even if my shit is locked up tight, I still want a picture of whoever the ****er is that tried to open my door.......
Yeah. Don't leave shit in your car, and always lock your doors. People don't get that. It's just not obvious enough. Try it going forward.

If you want a video security system, any of the listed options are fine. The key is to save the footage to remote storage (IP) or to a physically secured device. If someone breaks into a home with cameras, they're going to be looking to take or destroy the DVR.

We have a real problem with mail theft. We live in a remote area, so there are lots of curious people who think they can get away with things because nobody is looking.

So we nailed a fake $20 camera to a utility pole, focused on our mailboxes, and ran some cabling to keep people guessing, and also posted a few signs that the general area is under surveillance. This deters the real dumbasses-- "crimes of opportunity". As a secondary measure, most of us have locking mailboxes which also do nothing, other than prevent opportunistic theft.

Meanwhile, we have a fleet of battery-operated, cheap ($50) game cameras well hidden in various places that perfectly capture people and any vehicle (including visible license plates) in the area of the mailbox. So the sign postings are real. We've got people coming AND going. And we file police reports of suspicious activity.

That might be an option for you. Put up a fake cam for cheap, and have a game cam hidden in a bush that's snapping anyone who walks up to the car. <$100 all in.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:36 PM   #20
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
That might be an option for you. Put up a fake cam for cheap, and have a game cam hidden in a bush that's snapping anyone who walks up to the car. <$100 all in.

Game camera is now what I'm looking at now for a temp solution, until I get a more comprehensive system built up.....I even know exactly where I'd put it. Excellent idea.....thanks for the heads up - I never would have thought of that.

And yes....I generally always lock my door. Quiet suburbia sometimes you forget...and think "it'll never happen to me" Well.....I'll let our former Prez speak to my thoughts on that.....video quality leaves much to be desired, but the audio sums it up...

hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:48 PM   #21
1BadAssSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
I use ADT
1BadAssSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:25 PM   #22
Aug

Drives: 2014 2SS MT, Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
I have a few different Cameras. My outdoor ones (PTZ) were about 150 each. My indoor ones like 30 bucks.
The Cameras I got from Amazon. You can buy high end or low end. All are night vision but the outdoor ones only "see" about 20-25 feet at night.
This is similar to one of my outside ones:
http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8919W...oor+ip+cameras

The software I use is called I-Spy...excellent software and free.
The Iphone app I use is " IP cam viewer" it has a free and paid version. I got the paid but its cheap.

I have installed this type system at a lot of places including stores and commercial buildings.
Let Me know if you need any more info.

DIY people seem to have a LOT of trouble with port forwarding. I even had one business that told Me his computer guy told him it couldn't be done because he was behind 2 firewalls.
I have 4 foscam ip cameras, and as stated here, use my iPhone from anywhere, set up port forwarding on the router, have motion sensing set up to record on motion, as well as email on one of the camera. Recording is done on a spare laptop I have. One camera needed a more powerful wifi antenna, no big deal though. Foscam is a reliable product, have had mine for about 3 years, no troubles. Just be sure you set them up as static ip on your local LAN so that port forwarding works without issue.
Aug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #23
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
[QUOTE=TIREKLR;8507583]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
buy a yard dog much better deterent.[/QUOTE
Thats the 4 legged equivelent to Iron Mike Tyson...LOL!!!
Old 06-29-2015, 05:52 PM   #24
TIREKLR

Drives: 2015 zl1
[QUOTE=Blk-Ice;8507863]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIREKLR View Post

Thats the 4 legged equivelent to Iron Mike Tyson...LOL!!!
Thats ruger....a.k.a the solicitor/salesman/thief and other bothersome people negotiator haha
TIREKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:53 PM   #25
CN1LE

Drives: 20151LE
Sorry about the break in. I like your dog.
CN1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:45 PM   #26
KR4545

Drives: 2012 2SS
If you do get an IP camera remember to change the password because you will get port scanned many times per day for that and they will be running a script to try the default login!
And your IP will be placed on a list.
KR4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:06 PM   #27

Drives: 15 2SS RS 1LE, 18 Sonic LT, Z71
Quote:
So, walked outside this morning, and my car had been gone through.

Am now short my 9500ix detector, and a $300 phone that I used for Torque app...

No other damage, and I think they just tugged on the door to see if it was unlocked. I must have left it unsecured last night. Yes, I know - Stupid me, but let's not debate that.

Anyone have suggestions for home security cam/DVR setups? I'm hoping to keep it under 500 for a setup and couple of cams. Would prefer wireless, but willing to go wired.

What do you use?!
They'll just steal it if it's wireless.

I would get a Trunk Monkey! All kidding aside, I'd like to get something myself. Not necessarily just to watch my car, but to keep tabs on the place when I'm gone.
1110110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #28
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
You think you live in a safe neighborhood??? I did too until the guy next door got busted for drugs. I had no idea. I downloaded the Raids Online app to my phone and was surprised at the break ins of houses and vehicles that happen around me every day.
I have had cameras both inside and outside now for about 5 years. I got a uniden system that is wireless and you can connect to your home computer to be able to watch online and record to your hard drive.

I also downloaded a police scanner app and I listen to it every evening.

You really get a shock when you see this on your camera.
Attached Images