Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #15
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessyouboys13 View Post
So I'd compare the door sill to the rest of the car?
If they just masked it, which I assume they did given the poor quality of the paint job, then the paint outside the sill would be a bit higher.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:34 AM   #16
JLSuperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
If they just masked it, which I assume they did given the poor quality of the paint job, then the paint outside the sill would be a bit higher.
I am not making any sense. I doubt they painted the door jambs.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #17
Phail

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 IOM
One more reason to factory order, put up with the wait, and pick the car up from the dealer with no PDI done
Phail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:47 AM   #18
JLSuperfly

OP, keep us updated on the outcome of this. I am sorry to hear this happened. I am really interested to know how a GM dealership handles this type of situation.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #19
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phail View Post
One more reason to factory order, put up with the wait, and pick the car up from the dealer with no PDI done
Did you have any swirls in the paint?
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:54 AM   #20
Blessyouboys13

Drives: 2014 2ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
OP, keep us updated on the outcome of this. I am sorry to hear this happened. I am really interested to know how a GM dealership handles this type of situation.
I certainly will. Thanks for all the tips.
K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake/SLP Loudmouth 2 axle back/Touren TR60 Series Rims/Elite Catch Can/Vitesse Throttle Controller/Eibach 1" Drop Springs/GM GFX Splitter/Gen5DIY Fog Lights/4 Pack Gauge Cluster
Blessyouboys13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #21
Sickness91Z28
Reaper Crew

Drives: Blown 2010 Camaro SS
I used to work at a dealership body shop....and we painted "new" cars a lot....not all overs very much but certain panels. Car might get damaged during shipment and things like that. I doubt they ever told the customer about the previous damage....which is completely wrong!

If your Camaro had been in a hail storm....it would have to have been an extremely bad storm. Most lots would have hail cars PDR'ed. Me and two other guys fixed an entire VW lot last year. Every car had hail damage...but there was no painting involved.

Anyhow, keep us updated!

2010 Camaro SS
SLP TVS2300 Blower, Blower Cam, Lingenfelter Heads, Meth Injected, 5lbs of Boost@700 BHP
Pedders XA Coilovers
Sickness91Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #22
BigRedViking

Drives: 1987 IROC-Z 5.7L 2016 1SS M6 NGM
Send a message via Yahoo to BigRedViking
Paint thickness gauge will show you how much paint/fillers are on the vehicle. Paint texture is usually a telltale sign of a repair, but many painters are pretty good at managing texture (myself included , so it doesn't always show. I recommend the least resisting path. You've already spent money to correct the situation, figure out if it was repainted for sure. Then explain to the dealer what you want. Cars are rarely the same once they have been torn into, things get broken, left out, more rework rarely ends up perfect. I would want a new car if that is what I paid for. Even a good used car isn't the end of the world, I wouldn't mind trading up to a ZL1 Maybe hold out for the 2016 gen6.
Remember that you will probably go there from time to time for part's, or service so try to be nonchalant and calm if possible. Try not to burn bridges, I did that recently, and it just makes your options smaller. It's a learning experience. Car's get repairs all the time, at least you will know where not to take it. Good luck!
BigRedViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:41 PM   #23
Blessyouboys13

good advice thanks man. I'm not really that upset about it. If it has been repainted or it's a factory defect I just hope they will do the right thing and take care of this for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedViking View Post
Paint thickness gauge will show you how much paint/fillers are on the vehicle. Paint texture is usually a telltale sign of a repair, but many painters are pretty good at managing texture (myself included , so it doesn't always show. I recommend the least resisting path. You've already spent money to correct the situation, figure out if it was repainted for sure. Then explain to the dealer what you want. Cars are rarely the same once they have been torn into, things get broken, left out, more rework rarely ends up perfect. I would want a new car if that is what I paid for. Even a good used car isn't the end of the world, I wouldn't mind trading up to a ZL1 Maybe hold out for the 2016 gen6.
Remember that you will probably go there from time to time for part's, or service so try to be nonchalant and calm if possible. Try not to burn bridges, I did that recently, and it just makes your options smaller. It's a learning experience. Car's get repairs all the time, at least you will know where not to take it. Good luck!
K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake/SLP Loudmouth 2 axle back/Touren TR60 Series Rims/Elite Catch Can/Vitesse Throttle Controller/Eibach 1" Drop Springs/GM GFX Splitter/Gen5DIY Fog Lights/4 Pack Gauge Cluster
Old 04-08-2015, 01:01 PM   #24
BigRedViking

Drives: 1987 IROC-Z 5.7L 2016 1SS M6 NGM
Send a message via Yahoo to BigRedViking
Good, enjoy the ride!
BigRedViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #25
Blessyouboys13

I'm going by a body shop after work to have them just look over the car then to the dealer on Saturday. Sure this will turn out to be a huge hassle...
Old 04-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #26
jrylb73

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 2SS
I have some of the same issues. Mine looks like a spider web has fallen across the whole car. My dealer is going to try to polish the car for me to see if it will help, hopefully it will.
2014 2SS/RS, L99 Procharged (D1SC) on Meth, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 85 lbs Injectors,Vitesse Throttle Controller, Bo White Ported TB, Kooks LT Headers, Stainless Works exhaust, GPI SS3 Cam, GPI Heads, GPI Intake Mods, Circle D triple Disk 2C Converter, DSS Carbon Fiber D/S, G Force Outlaw Axles and tuned by Ryan Stevens at GPI 774/697
jrylb73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #27
1fastmf

Drives: SBM G8 Gt
Did these guys have any prior experience with 5th gen camaros? 5th gens factory paint is about as bad as it gets.
1fastmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #28
Blessyouboys13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmf View Post
Did these guys have any prior experience with 5th gen camaros? 5th gens factory paint is about as bad as it gets.

No. They said it was the newest car they've worked on with these type of issues.