Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-28-2021, 09:39 AM   #1
marathonmann

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Cam Question

Hey guys, quick question on upgrading the cam on my 2014 SS 1LE. Over the winter I've installed Speed Engineering long tube headers and Texas Speed Hi Flow cats. The car already had CAI and Flowmaster Outlaw cat-back. I'm taking it to get tuned in the spring and my question is, would it be worth upgrading the cam too before getting it tuned ? How much additional power will the cam yield and what can I expect to pay for cam and install ? Thanks for the help
marathonmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:00 AM   #2
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
My car (a 13 1LE) has essentially those same mods just different brands. It put down 435/425 at the tuner.

A cam depending on the brand and stage you're looking at anywhere to as low as 35HP addition to 75HP or so. IMHO when you go all out with a cam but don't do heads or a ported intake manifold (maybe aftermarket) plus some kind of TB (ported or larger) you are kind of wasting your time and losing driveabilty.

So you can have a nasty rowdy ass car that survives only on rpm with a stage 4 cam and get maybe 75HP (probably less).

Conversely you can do heads, cam, intake, TB use a Stage 2 get better driveability and more TQ and get double the HP addition.

I'm in the process of collecting parts (I'm doing some oiling and cooling mods also) I'm hoping to finish around 550/490 for my final numbers while maintaining driveability.

So IMHO until you're ready to fully commit skip the cam.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2021, 12:07 PM   #3
marathonmann

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Thanks a lot for the reply Firefighter, thats pretty much what I was thinking. I'll probably hold off on the cam until I'm ready to fully commit. I'd be happy with 435 HP to the wheels with what I have for now. What was your baseline before the tune ? Curious what the headers, cats, catback and CAI intake added
marathonmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:43 PM   #4
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
That's what it was after the tune. It was just over 400HP when he base lined it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2021, 06:11 PM   #5
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Cam it and never look back. You won’t regret it, that’s for sure. It’ll increase Hp/Trq everywhere on the band. Just depends where you want the power. Either up top, or more in lower/mid range. I know I spent 2k for my cam install with all the necessary parts/bolts/labor/tune...etc. I chose the cam that gave me me power mid to top.

Happy Hunting
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote