Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-14-2020, 07:01 PM   #1
Germerican

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Sound Difference between Axle-Back and Cat-Back V6 (Borla Touring)?

Hey Everyone!

I hope everyone is safe and healthy during this difficult time.

So far I was unable to find an answer to my question within this forum, which is why I decided to create a new thread. Since I have so much time on my hands during this quarantine, I installed the Borla Touring Axle-Back on my 2013 V6 and was wondering if it's worth an additional 600 USD for the Borla X-Pipe (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...U05PIWHD&psc=1) to complete the Cat-Back system?

To be more specific, will I gain a noticeable sound difference with the X-Pipe installed additionally or is the Axle-Back responsible for most of the sound?

Many thanks in advance.
Germerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:00 AM   #2
Pearlj10

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
The x-pipe will help with the drone at cruising speed and also reduce the “rasp” of the V6 exhaust. Any power gains will be negligible. For example, Corsa claims gains of 6 HP with their cat back kit. Adding high flow cats can increase the gains a little. But you’re probably not going to feel a 6 HP gain on a car this heavy. $100 per horse is not a great return on your investment. I’d check on YouTube for video clips of the Borla cat back and compare with your current sound to determine if it’s worth the upgrade to you. Good luck!
Pearlj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #3
Germerican

Thank you so much for your reply, Pearlj10 - really appreciate it. I fully agree with you regarding the small investment return. After I installed the muffler kit from Borla, I felt like something is missing in terms of sound as I expected a bit more. After I took another drive yesterday I decided I'm going to order the remaining cat-back system. It might be a waste of $600 in this case but I hope I get the results I was looking for. I'll provide some feedback once it's installed.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:16 AM   #4
Pearlj10

It’s worth it if you get the sound you want and you have the $$$ to spend .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germerican View Post
Thank you so much for your reply, Pearlj10 - really appreciate it. I fully agree with you regarding the small investment return. After I installed the muffler kit from Borla, I felt like something is missing in terms of sound as I expected a bit more. After I took another drive yesterday I decided I'm going to order the remaining cat-back system. It might be a waste of $600 in this case but I hope I get the results I was looking for. I'll provide some feedback once it's installed.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
Cenafan85

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlj10 View Post
The x-pipe will help with the drone at cruising speed and also reduce the “rasp” of the V6 exhaust. Any power gains will be negligible. For example, Corsa claims gains of 6 HP with their cat back kit. Adding high flow cats can increase the gains a little. But you’re probably not going to feel a 6 HP gain on a car this heavy. $100 per horse is not a great return on your investment. I’d check on YouTube for video clips of the Borla cat back and compare with your current sound to determine if it’s worth the upgrade to you. Good luck!

I think you might be refering to the resonated X pipe ? I know that one is used to reduce drone and rasp. Not sure if the regular X pipe does that.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:34 PM   #6
Pearlj10

Yes, thanks Cenafan. Was referring to them resonated version,
Old 04-17-2020, 02:50 PM   #7
Germerican

Well, turns out my order was canceled because Borla no longer manufactures this item. Unless I find a reseller who has it still in stock I was wondering if one of you could recommend me an add-on solution (in addition to my current setup) that could improve the exhaust sound without purchasing an entire new cat-back system?
Old 04-18-2020, 10:08 AM   #8
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Grab a Magnaflow 11386 x muffler, remove the resonators, install the x muffler in place of the stock H pipe.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:39 PM   #9
ThatGuy1987

Drives: 2014 Camaro LT
With the magnaflow 11386 x does that part have to be welded in or are there clamps? How does it secure?

LOOKING FOR:
JacFab Ported Intake Manifold . Jacfab Intake Manifold Spacer . Overkill Throttle Body . Fuel Pump?
ThatGuy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 01:10 AM   #10
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Grab a Magnaflow 11386 x muffler, remove the resonators, install the x muffler in place of the stock H pipe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy1987 View Post
With the magnaflow 11386 x does that part have to be welded in or are there clamps? How does it secure?
You are going to want to have this welded in place, due to the pipe size differences.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #11
Germerican

This is fantastic input. Thank you so much. I came across a mentioning of the Magnaflow in a Youtube video, but it wasn't explained where it was installed. In this video, she actually used the Borla Atak on her V6. So your pictures are of tremendous help!!!!

Old 04-21-2020, 06:30 PM   #12
Germerican

OK, so this was interesting. I was able to find the full Borla Cat-Back Touring in stock at Summit Racing, which was delivered yesterday. Once unpacked, I noticed the word "S-Type" on the mufflers and started doing some research (I would have preferred the S-Type initially but Borla manufactured only the Touring for the 2013 V6). Turns out Borla put the wrong item into the box that was meant for the Touring Cat-Back for 2013 V6 going by the stickers on the box (#140526 instead of #140282). Luckily the only difference between the two items was the mufflers, which are minor. I was able to install the entire system and now have an even more aggressive sound with the S-Type compared to the Touring.

So this manufacturer mistake turned into a great outcome for me. Everyone looking to increase sound for their 2013 V6 can rest assured that the S-Type for the 2014 V6 fits perfectly.