Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #15

Drives: Getaway Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs396 View Post
I love the direction this is going however I am with KMPrenger about the side of the car. As clean as it is I like the general shape but to me it needs a little excitement. I have been stuck on the vents and never seemed to make them work especially with using MS Paint, yet I couldn't make myself move away from them. Please forgive my amateur job but this is what I was thinking for the side somewhat. I know the shading is probably wrong and it is hard to make a good straight angled line with paint but I took a shot.

I cannot believe the time you spend on this Doc and I am impressed.
May I simply suggest that the vertical vent on the front fenders are reminiscent of those on the dodge charger.... and starting to lose it's individuality from that one big feature alone. And the rear roof pillars are starting to get a bit too skinny... and look like alot of others on the street. What I would like to see is rear windows that roll down to give the new Camaro a Hardtop vs current sedan feeling. The "extended openness" would be welcome feeling... especially in a smaller platform vehicle.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
ssrs396

Drives: 68 vert 396 13 ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by *007 View Post
May I simply suggest that the vertical vent on the front fenders are reminiscent of those on the dodge charger.... and starting to lose it's individuality from that one big feature alone. And the rear roof pillars are starting to get a bit too skinny... and look like alot of others on the street. What I would like to see is rear windows that roll down to give the new Camaro a Hardtop vs current sedan feeling. The "extended openness" would be welcome feeling... especially in a smaller platform vehicle.
It could also be a rip off of the new corvette...lol. I was trying to stay within Docs basic design of his new Camaro. His car is smaller and extending the window would mean extending the car and more weight I would think. I don't know if this is the reason Doc did this, you would have to ask him.

Last edited by ssrs396; 09-22-2013 at 02:37 PM.
ssrs396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #17
RA1987

Drives: SS
I love all the designs!!

take that California license plate off!! lol other than that I love all of them.
RA1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #18
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
I love the direction this is going however I am with KMPrenger about the side of the car. As clean as it is I like the general shape but to me it needs a little excitement. I have been stuck on the vents and never seemed to make them work especially with using MS Paint, yet I couldn't make myself move away from them. Please forgive my amateur job but this is what I was thinking for the side somewhat. I know the shading is probably wrong and it is hard to make a good straight angled line with paint but I took a shot.

I cannot believe the time you spend on this Doc and I am impressed.
When you see this in 3D you'll get a better feel for how this body style will look. I spent a fair amount of time playing around with different vent designs and schemes on the side, and after a while I realized all I was doing was cluttering it up for no other reason than to try and put "something" in there. I may still go back to the single vent scoop on the side and ditch the 3 gills; I'll have to see how the side looks in 3D with proper shadows and shading.

Believe it or not, most of the "excitement" of the rear quarter of the car is going to come from the top of the rear deck which is something I simply haven't been able to portray in my 2D drawings. The sides of the car are going to look more like the side of a fighter jet fuselage due to the way the upper rear deck separates into the winglets. I may still be able to increase the curve in the transition from the door to the rear of the car slightly but I have to be careful that I don't make it look too back heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-ROD-210 View Post
When I first saw this thread I thought "Meh",looks dated like a Camaro before the 5th gen but now it's really coming together nicely and I like it. Hey Doc,I was wondering if you can give us different headlight looks like something like thisAttachment 558209
I actually tried a design like that, including a single bar and 2 bar. I thought the single bar wasn't too bad but after awhile of looking at it I felt it was more gimmicky than anything else so I went back to round headlights. ALLTRBO's idea led me to the stylized rectangular quad lamps you see now which I really like. They have a more serious and "production car" look to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyG View Post
Doc, great job on the renderings. It gets the imagination going!
Thank you; that's the whole idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *007 View Post
One of the main goals I had when designing the cabin was to increase driver visibility. This prompted the lowered front of the side windows, the lower sweep to the front of the car, and the thinner C pillars. I believe the B pillars carry critical structural support for side and rollover crash protection so there may be a legal reason why we can't have the roll-down rear quarter windows with the completely open side like the 1st gen. Great idea though.

Quote:
It could also be a rip off of the new corvette...lol. I was trying to stay within Docs basic design of his new Camaro. His car is smaller and extending the window would mean extending the car and more weight I would think. I don't know if this is the reason Doc did this, you would have to ask him.
Just like the 5th gen, there is a hidden B pillar at the back of the door opening which pretty much limits what you can do back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA1987 View Post
I love all the designs!!

take that California license plate off!! lol other than that I love all of them.
lol yeah I know the California plate style isn't exactly a work of art to look at but it's there for an important design reason. One of my pet peeves is the way front license plates look on cars. The reason why most people like to take them off is they always look out-of-place and crap up the look and styling of the front. Designers like to design their vehicle fronts without the plate because they're ugly so it's always stuck on there somewhere afterwards as an afterthought and it looks just like that; an afterthought.

I deliberately, specifically and intentionally designed the front of this car right from the get-go with a license plate on there so it would look like it fits and is supposed to be there. I worked with and around it to make the front of the car look good so people wouldn't feel like it ruined the looks of their car. In fact the front looks odd without it; looks too thick and heavy in the middle. The plate does a nice job of breaking up that heaviness and it adds a visual "center point" to the hood scoop that actually helps balance the looks of the front. Function is leading to form.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #19
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Pretty nice work there, I'd trade up for it.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:38 AM   #20
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
Pretty nice work there, I'd trade up for it.
Well thank you! That's about as good a compliment as one can get.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 09-24-2013, 03:47 AM   #21
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

I have a roof and windows!!! I know some of you are probably going "big deal" but you have no idea how much time and effort it's taken to get to this point with this software and figure out how to make it look like this.

The thing that's going to be cool about this is once the car is done, I'll be able to place a virtual camera inside and take snapshots of what the view would be if you were the driver or a passenger.

The color is the result of a very low altitude sun. I'll create a studio to place it in once it's finished so I can take pictures of it under studio lighting.

Name:  RoofPers.jpg
Views: 5084
Size:  44.9 KB

Name:  RoofSide.jpg
Views: 4952
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  RoofTop.jpg
Views: 4869
Size:  66.8 KB

I still have to create the reverse roof mullet but I thought it was pretty cool to see it actually look like a roof at this stage.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 09-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #22
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Keep up the good work Doc 3d modeling takes a lot of time and im sure all of us are patiently waiting
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #23
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Pretty good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Have you sent your application in to Mr. Reuss?
He'd want to speak with Ed Welburn more probably.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:18 AM   #24
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

A bit more progress. A 3/4 from the back view, side view and top view.
Name:  NewRender3Q.jpg
Views: 4633
Size:  26.9 KB
Name:  NewRenderSide.jpg
Views: 4678
Size:  22.9 KB
Name:  NewRenderTop.jpg
Views: 4521
Size:  22.0 KB

The back of the car isn't going to look like that; I just haven't finished sculpting the panels. There's a real science to figuring out how to place the polygon points before you bridge them. It's taken a lot of trial and error to get things to look like this, but I'm getting the hang of figuring things out so hopefully the rest of the project will start going faster.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 09-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #25
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Pretty good job.

He'd want to speak with Ed Welburn more probably.
Not if he plans to take Ed's job
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #26
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Not if he plans to take Ed's job
LOL oh yeah, right.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 09-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #27
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Making a bit more progress. I'm sure there's some nifty way of doing this easier and faster that people who really know how to use this type of software know but since I don't know what that nifty way is, I keep plodding along one polygon at a time lol. Something I've learned is if you have even just one polygon dot that's slightly off in location, it will create these weird shadow effects in that area. You can see some of them in certain areas in the snapshots below. It takes awhile zooming in with the editor camera to try and find the dot that's out of alignment and fix it.

Still, it doesn't look too bad at this stage. Once I get the front and back put on and get some wheels done it will look a lot better.

Name:  New Render 3Q.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  33.5 KB
Name:  New Render Side.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  29.5 KB
Name:  New Render Top.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  25.0 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 09-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #28
Trapcam

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro Black with Orange
I really like the 4 head light design it gives it a Firebird and 3rd Gen Camaro look.
Trapcam is offline   Reply With Quote