Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-11-2021, 06:40 PM   #1
LarryD

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Manual Trans
TPMS Sensor - Final Word from GM

A dealer has had my car for 2 weeks working on the problem of the TPMS sensors not reading after a few miles. Interesting to note that my remote door locks are intermittent too. GM had the dealer put in a new keyless entry module and that solved the problem for like 5 miles. The dealer swapped my tires and wheels (both new with new OEM sensors) with those from another Camaro and they said that solves the problem. GM says there is too much steel in the new tire belts so it is blocking the signal from the sensors. So, unless I dump my brand new tires and go to something else (trial and error) I will have the error message and intermittent remote door locks.

I get it back tomorrow so I am going to swap back to my old tire and wheels to see if that works but it seems like it was going bad with them. They were factory originals. Anybody found anything else to try that worked? Anybody found a way to extend the keyless entry antenna or at least know where it is located?

It is a safety issue so should be a recall by GM. Maybe we need a mass write in complaints to the NTSB.
LarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:55 PM   #2
DB Cooper

Drives: 2010SS
The rcdlr receives both the tpms signals and the key fob signals. I think it's a stretch to say the tires are causing the tpms problem when the keyless entry is also acting up. IMO they hit on something, with the module, but missed the mark with the tire conclusion. Probably more likely a wiring issue to the rcdlr module; it just makes more sense fundamentally. There's no rational explanation of why the tires would affect the keyless entry.
2010SS 6 speed - Hennessey HPE650 Serial #14

DB Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:01 PM   #3
DB Cooper

You don't have anything else that might be giving off interference around the dash, do you ? In my case, I found that my radar detector screws with the tpms . Idk why they decided to relocate that module from beneath the trunk carpet, where it's worked fine for years, to right under the dash, where people might have electronics running... I've seen people have tpms issues with aftermarket radios with GPS too.

Old 05-11-2021, 07:04 PM   #4
LarryD

Yeah, that's what I told them. I just filed a complaint with the NHTSA website. The problem creates a non-compliance with the TREAD Act which says a TPMS system is mandated starting in September 1, 2007 for all cars. GM never specified particular tires and/or wheels are needed on 5th gens. We need everyone to start filing complaints on it.

My car is bone stock with nothing extra running. There was an aftermarket alarm that I had the dealer disconnect which didn't make a difference.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:05 PM   #5
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
had a problem with tire pressure not showing on the DIC intermittently.after a few false leads dealer had to re route some wires under the dash around the other way.this fixed the problem.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:28 PM   #6
DB Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
had a problem with tire pressure not showing on the DIC intermittently.after a few false leads dealer had to re route some wires under the dash around the other way.this fixed the problem.
Rf noise in the comm lines ?

Old 05-11-2021, 10:07 PM   #7
redcoats1976

he said it was caused by the heater/ac motor,the lines were too close to it.apparently they added wire to the lines and ran them the other way around the drivers side if i remember correctly.no problems since then...
Old 05-11-2021, 10:20 PM   #8
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
TPMS sensors are WELL up into the 300 and 400Mhz ranges. I have never heard
of the car's own devices interfering with reception, that's the whole point. Nothing you
have in the car generates signals that high, except for the TPMS sensors, and
your FOB.

Radar detectors DO transmit, but well up into the 2.4Ghz range, and I have never
had any issues with them and TPMS either...

Mine, after putting new ones in, read for 16 miles, then go out... Nothing is
interfering with the signaling, they just get dropped, all four at once.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:26 PM   #9
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
A dealer has had my car for 2 weeks working on the problem of the TPMS sensors not reading after a few miles. Interesting to note that my remote door locks are intermittent too. GM had the dealer put in a new keyless entry module and that solved the problem for like 5 miles. The dealer swapped my tires and wheels (both new with new OEM sensors) with those from another Camaro and they said that solves the problem. GM says there is too much steel in the new tire belts so it is blocking the signal from the sensors. So, unless I dump my brand new tires and go to something else (trial and error) I will have the error message and intermittent remote door locks.

I get it back tomorrow so I am going to swap back to my old tire and wheels to see if that works but it seems like it was going bad with them. They were factory originals. Anybody found anything else to try that worked? Anybody found a way to extend the keyless entry antenna or at least know where it is located?

It is a safety issue so should be a recall by GM. Maybe we need a mass write in complaints to the NTSB.
What kind of tires?
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:25 AM   #10
LarryD

Mine were working fine but started to fail just before I went to new tires and wheels.

I pulled off my stock 21 inch wheels and went to 20 inch wheels. New tires are 245/45ZR-20 BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S PLUS XL and 275/40ZR-20 BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S PLUS XL.

Anybody else running these and not having problems with their TPMS? I sent a note to BFGoodrich letting them know that GM is blaming them. I also filed a complaint with Consumers For Auto Reliability and Safety (C.A.R.S) in addition to the one at NHTSA.

Last edited by LarryD; 05-12-2021 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:16 AM   #11
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
I have nothing useful to add but I have never heard of tires causing this problem, and BFG's aren't exactly rare so you would think this would have come up before. Frankly it sounds like a dealer who doesn't know how to fix the issue so they are looking for a scapegoat. For the record I just put new Continentals on mine and so far no issues.
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:52 AM   #12
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Mine were working fine but started to fail just before I went to new tires and wheels.

I pulled off my stock 21 inch wheels and went to 20 inch wheels. New tires are 245/45ZR-20 BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S PLUS XL and 275/40ZR-20 BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S PLUS XL.

Anybody else running these and not having problems with their TPMS? I sent a note to BFGoodrich letting them know that GM is blaming them. I also filed a complaint with Consumers For Auto Reliability and Safety (C.A.R.S) in addition to the one at NHTSA.
I’m running these same BF tires (20” wheels) with no problems.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:24 AM   #13
redcoats1976

Quote:

did you have new sensors installed with the new tires? are they the same as the stock sensors,or possibly different as far as broadcast frequency? i switched to cooper tires 3 years ago,no problems.rim size shouldnt be an issue.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:26 AM   #14
redcoats1976

did you have new sensors installed,and are they an exact replacement part for the old ones?maybe the rf frequency is slightly off.