Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-16-2019, 09:41 PM   #15
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
I used to live in Asheville and we drove it regularly back in the 90's. Never any traffic. It was a good place to have fun with my '88 Mustang GT and then '97 Integra Type R. While Deal's Gap is good, there are other roads that are 'better' (views, still no traffic)
Route 194 between Valle Crucis and Banner Elk is a decent example. Or Devil's Fork just west of Wolf Laurel.

Getting all the exposure has made Dragon a destination, but it's not a 'drivers' road any more, IMHO.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:01 PM   #16
GAFUN

Drives: 2018 Summit White 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
I wouldn't let the 30 mph deter you. There are 318 turns in that 11 miles so getting up a lot of speed is not going to happen anyway. There are no real straightaways in that 11 miles.

I ran is up and back twice in one day (44 miles worth) and never got out of gears 2&3. The cops tend to patrol either end where there are some straight stretches and they can get a good radar lock.

I had a good time - went with a ZL1 and a procharged vette. My little SS kept up just fine. I drove 4.5 hours to get there and made a day of it. Glad I went.

The bonus is that there are several pro photographers there daily. You get get some really cool shots of your car like this:

Attachment 1013569

DANG !! That car looks AWESOME !!
GAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:37 AM   #17
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Dragon 2020 run in the works for Spring 2020. Rob Ross is the organizer and has done it a few times in past years. Wonderful drive with great people.... definitely worth the trip.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ghlight=Dragon
Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:36 AM   #18
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
I used to live in Asheville and we drove it regularly back in the 90's. Never any traffic. It was a good place to have fun with my '88 Mustang GT and then '97 Integra Type R. While Deal's Gap is good, there are other roads that are 'better' (views, still no traffic)
Route 194 between Valle Crucis and Banner Elk is a decent example. Or Devil's Fork just west of Wolf Laurel.

Getting all the exposure has made Dragon a destination, but it's not a 'drivers' road any more, IMHO.
That sounds like it was a ton of fun
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:52 AM   #19
Captain J

Drives: 2017 V6 RS Covertible
I've been on the dragon a few times on my motorcycle. For me, it's a "been there, done that" kind of road. Lots of curves but nothing to see but trees but you shouldn't be looking around anyway. It's a fun road until some jerk off tries to get through there pulling a big ass camper trailer. If you're behind them, you won't be going much faster than 20 MPH and if they're in the opposite lane, you'll have to watch out for them in the corners taking up half of your lane also. Every once in a while a semi truck sneaks through. That's bad news for everyone. Check out this video especially at the 1:00 mark. For me, the bottom line is I don't care if I never go back to the Dragon again.

Last edited by Captain J; 12-17-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Captain J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #20
Deesiel678

Drives: 2018 1LS 1LE
I'm not a local TN/NC resident but I live close enough that I can make a pretty easy day trip of it. I usually make the trip once a quarter or so; sometimes more.

I generally start from the NC side and run westbound out to a turn around point (couple miles past the overlook) as a sort of 'reconnaissance' run. If I don't pass any TN LEOs on the way out then I know there wont be any on the run back towards the NC state line, at least in my experience that has been the case. No LEOs = not too much concern about the 30mph speed limit. Obviously you shouldn't go balls out speeding down that road, but if you run at the right time of day you can average 45-50mph over the 11 miles. Quick enough to be an entertaining pace yet slow enough to be able to maintain good control and react to debris/other motorists/etc. To see what that looks like, my pace was in that range in this video https://youtu.be/n-wnVtyfF-k

ALSO, there are TONS of other great roads in the area (East TN, West NC, North GA, and a few in northwest SC as well). They may not be as popular as the Tail of the Dragon but many are every bit as entertaining. Take a day or so to explore.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:37 PM   #21
HawkeyeMike

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
I have been down there maybe 20+ times in the past 15 years...and have loved every visit. In fact, we are planning a trip there in April with our local SCCA Autocross group. I think there are a few important things to consider if you want to have a great experience:

1. First, and most important, don't drive stupid. People do die on the roads in those areas, and not just motorcyclists. Don't drive over your head (don't "run out of talent"), expect the road to tighten up suddenly (especially on the Cherohala), and above all STAY IN YOUR LANE.

2. Plan your Dragon runs around the crowds. What I mean by that, is you can have fun (spirited pace) on the Dragon during the week - it is still easy to find it low-traffic Mon-Thurs. Then...spend some time there on the weekend - not for fast driving, but just to enjoy the spectacle of the crowd and checking out all the cool vehicles. Planning a Dragon day on the weekend, expecting to go fast, is just a recipe for disappointment. Just too much traffic.

3. Explore other roads in the area - Cherohala Skyway, NC28, etc...so many are awesome, you can't go wrong as long as you stay away from the big towns. Also, explore the park itself - take some time at dusk or dawn and drive (10 MPH or less) through Cades Cove and see some bears. Hike one of the trails.

4. If someone faster than you gets right up behind you, use a pull-off and let them go by. We appreciate when others do this for us, so swallow your ego and do it for others.

I could list 20 more if you want...but those are the ones that come to mind first, to help ensure a fun trip.

Mike
HawkeyeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #22
HawkeyeMike

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
OK, can't resist a few more:

5. If you can, stay in a cabin around Townsend or maybe the Fontana Village Resort. If you stay in Gatlinburg or Knoxville, it will take a bit of driving to get to the 'good' roads every day.

6. Don't think about the Dragon as a timed run. Don't try to build a ton of speed on the straights. It's about the corners. Take the corners with high entry speed, high mid-corner speed, and then just enough accel out to feel the car try to get loose. Then get off the throttle. This will keep you out of trouble with the law. If you are a speed freak, this isn't the vacation spot for you. If you are about pushing the car close to the limits in the corners, regardless of actual speed, the Dragon will be right up your alley.

7. Speaking of limits...I live by the following (assuming the Camaro): Go 100% for Autocross, 90% on track days, and 80% in the Smokies. If you consistently drive 100% on these roads, you will (yes, even you) have a major issue at some point.

8. Be nice to the locals. There are areas of the Smokies where fast riders/drivers aren't really welcome. This isn't because people drive too fast. It's because they've been jerks about it. Just...be nice.

9. Have a burger for lunch one day at the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort. Buy a t-Shirt from them. It really is a special place - support them.

10. Have a backup plan in case of rain. That's a good time to brave the Gatlinburg traffic to do some shopping.

Mike
HawkeyeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:04 PM   #23
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeMike View Post
I have been down there maybe 20+ times in the past 15 years...and have loved every visit. In fact, we are planning a trip there in April with our local SCCA Autocross group. I think there are a few important things to consider if you want to have a great experience:

1. First, and most important, don't drive stupid. People do die on the roads in those areas, and not just motorcyclists. Don't drive over your head (don't "run out of talent"), expect the road to tighten up suddenly (especially on the Cherohala), and above all STAY IN YOUR LANE.

2. Plan your Dragon runs around the crowds. What I mean by that, is you can have fun (spirited pace) on the Dragon during the week - it is still easy to find it low-traffic Mon-Thurs. Then...spend some time there on the weekend - not for fast driving, but just to enjoy the spectacle of the crowd and checking out all the cool vehicles. Planning a Dragon day on the weekend, expecting to go fast, is just a recipe for disappointment. Just too much traffic.

3. Explore other roads in the area - Cherohala Skyway, NC28, etc...so many are awesome, you can't go wrong as long as you stay away from the big towns. Also, explore the park itself - take some time at dusk or dawn and drive (10 MPH or less) through Cades Cove and see some bears. Hike one of the trails.

4. If someone faster than you gets right up behind you, use a pull-off and let them go by. We appreciate when others do this for us, so swallow your ego and do it for others.

I could list 20 more if you want...but those are the ones that come to mind first, to help ensure a fun trip.

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeMike View Post
OK, can't resist a few more:

5. If you can, stay in a cabin around Townsend or maybe the Fontana Village Resort. If you stay in Gatlinburg or Knoxville, it will take a bit of driving to get to the 'good' roads every day.

6. Don't think about the Dragon as a timed run. Don't try to build a ton of speed on the straights. It's about the corners. Take the corners with high entry speed, high mid-corner speed, and then just enough accel out to feel the car try to get loose. Then get off the throttle. This will keep you out of trouble with the law. If you are a speed freak, this isn't the vacation spot for you. If you are about pushing the car close to the limits in the corners, regardless of actual speed, the Dragon will be right up your alley.

7. Speaking of limits...I live by the following (assuming the Camaro): Go 100% for Autocross, 90% on track days, and 80% in the Smokies. If you consistently drive 100% on these roads, you will (yes, even you) have a major issue at some point.

8. Be nice to the locals. There are areas of the Smokies where fast riders/drivers aren't really welcome. This isn't because people drive too fast. It's because they've been jerks about it. Just...be nice.

9. Have a burger for lunch one day at the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort. Buy a t-Shirt from them. It really is a special place - support them.

10. Have a backup plan in case of rain. That's a good time to brave the Gatlinburg traffic to do some shopping.

Mike
Follow Mike’s excellent advice and you’ll be wanting to go back every year.
I visited the Tail for the second time last year, and will be headed back again next year. We stayed in Pigeon Forge, which is a bit away from the Tail, but you’ll hit some fun roads on the way. One big draw of staying in Pigeon Forge is lots of hotels and food choices.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:09 AM   #24
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
Hey Guys,

Question has anyone driven Tail of the Dragon or gone to an even there? I've always wanted to go but am very disappointed discovering the speed limit is 30.......for 11 miles. Also, Doug DeMuro's article on it is not very encouraging either.

My question is has anyone actually made the trip to go and how did you like it? Are there events available where the speed limit is suspended or at least some sort of even to make the trip worth it? I'd be coming from Ohio so not out the question far away but still considerable.
There has never been to my knowledge a sanctioned race weekend or time period on the Dragon it self with out speed limits.

Its a pretty cool idea and I have floated it a little my self but the states just not into it for one thing. Alotta of it is the road is used commercially for delivery trucks etc for the area so its taken 20 plus years just to get them to ban tractor trailers on 129 and there are trucks that have permits to travel it.

There is a hill climb 2? times a year very close by on a public road so its not out of the realm of possibility.

https://ccrscca.com/events/chasing-t...n-hillclimb-2/

Besides what everyone else has said above dont let the 30 mph speed limit deter you. Its pretty hard to get over that speed in the turns esp and seeing 50 mph would be short.

I quit counting after my 100th time up there so if you have any other questions about it or some of the other roads in the area ask away. I am a pretty big fan of the Devils Triangle near Wartburg TN.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:39 PM   #25
Blue_6.2
Banned

Drives: 2019 1SS Convertible
Stopped watching at the 5 minute mark.

Assuming that is your video... THAT IS NOT YOUR PERSONAL RACE TRACK OR DRIVEWAY.

You do NOT get to go left of center, EVER.
Blue_6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:14 PM   #26
LESS1

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy80 View Post
Watch this and tell me what you think.
https://youtu.be/2pIICmDTjUM
I think you and anyone else wanting to find the limits of the car and themselves should do the smart thing and go to a track/HPDE..etc event. You are not even close to the limits of the car. Don't get me wrong going around corners is certainly fun, however, Gen5/6 Camaros (especially any 1 LE variant) limits cannot be safely explored on public roads. Take it to the track, I guarantee you will realize within the first few laps you aren't even scratching the surface of the car's potential.
LESS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:56 PM   #27
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy80 View Post
Watch this and tell me what you think.
https://youtu.be/2pIICmDTjUM
I think pretty much the same as Blue and LESS. If that's your video then you should not be driving on that road.

Illegal passing on a fairly blind curve. Multiple instances of crossing way over the center line. Definitely speeding. Yeah, the mph is blurred out, but I own an SS 1LE too. When you're hitting the rpms you were hitting in the gears you were hitting them in you're way over the limit.

I speed, but when I do it's on an Interstate that was designed for that speed, in a car designed to go that fast.

Last I checked they had 14 people on motorcycles killed on that stretch of road in the last decade or so, not to mention multiple more getting seriously injured. The article didn't say so, but I would be willing to bet quite of few of those were from people in cars crossing the center line.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:43 PM   #28
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
i think some of yall are being way to negative about the dragon. just dont go on the weekends anddo go early in the morning. you arent going to have any problems with traffic or the police. there is so much to see in that area. the cherohola skyway, the foothills parkway, tapoca lodge, fontana dam,etc.great places to eat. heck even the burgers at deals gap are good. nantahala outdoor center and the restaurant are also recommended.
one of the best drives is coming in on 74 towards fontana village then past fontana along the river to deals gap is amazing. so many great roads to drive. and you dont have to drive them fast, but please dont be like the harley riders who dont pull over for faster vehicles, and DONT ever cross the center line. if you are driving at 10/10ths you are an idiot. you could hurt somebody. dial it back to 7/10ths or so.
also if you make it to the asheville area go to the sierra nevada brewery the building and the food are great!
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote